Review: Savage 110 Tactical 24" .308, Arken SH4 GenII 6-24x50, Precision Armament M4-72 brake

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I'm not an expert marksman or rifle builder, just a hobbyist, but had been wanting for many years to put together a good target rifle in a "big boy" caliber like 308.

Finally got the chance to this year and put together the combination as stated in the title. I was able to get an excellent deal on the rifle, considering the current market.

IMG_20220302_172540.jpg

Took it out today to sight it in. Wasn't terribly cold, but I was not dressed appropriately, so was a little miserable.

IMG_20220308_081236.jpg

Got it dialed in with Igman white box 308 from RK at 30 yards.

The trigger was extremely light. I could barely discern the break.

The brake does a great job of keeping the target image steady. I'd say the felt recoil is similar to a lightweight .410 bore.

The Arken reticle and the hash marks helped me convert target measurements into turret clicks, once I got some experience with it.

Eventually, I switched to Norma Tactical 308 to do a final group at ~96 yards:

IMG_20220308_092155.jpg

Measurement is ~2.25" counting the flyer, ~1.375" without.

I'm certain it could be improved with better preparation on my part.

Some possible refinement may be in order as far as adjusting the length of pull, eye relief and comb height, but it's pretty close as is.

Very satisfied with the package overall.

:thumbsup:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I don't see a sandbag under the butstock so I'll suggest it. Looks like a little vertical wiggle in that group. I can't shoot my best with a bipod and no stock support. Hunting is fine but not when I want a little group.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I don't see a sandbag under the butstock so I'll suggest it. Looks like a little vertical wiggle in that group. I can't shoot my best with a bipod and no stock support. Hunting is fine but not when I want a little group.

I agree the setup isn't ideal. The table isn't quite big enough to use bags. I used a tool pouch as a cushion and folded my arm up under the buttstock.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hard to shoot cold too. I tried to sight in a .45-70 this past weekend and I was shaking like a dog crapping razor blades.
    Looks good though.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just a tip that helped me when shooting for groups. Don't use a circle for your target, it's difficult to square up on consistently.

Use a square. A 1" square is a great target for shooting groups and is easy to consistently find the center in an optic.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Just a tip that helped me when shooting for groups. Don't use a circle for your target, it's difficult to square up on consistently.

Use a square. A 1" square is a great target for shooting groups and is easy to consistently find the center in an optic.

You are absolutely correct when using a standard cross reticle.

VPR MOA RETICLE crop_2.jpg

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Keep shooting, try different things it will get better, as i reload for all my match ammo, i find that all my savage rifles like.006 to.008 off the lands, i also zero at 200yds too or most of the time

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Just wondering as to how you like that Arken scope, i believe i have the same model of one that i plan mounting on 6mm creedmoor

I'm liking it. I already had the 4-16 on another rifle. Just need more seat time behind it to get to where it's second nature to dial in rather than having to think about it and count on my fingers and toes, turning the turrets in the wrong direction, etc...

Top Bottom