Residential neighborhood HD shotgun load (poll)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HD load for residential area (12G)

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I remember correctly, don’t you recommend 55grain Xm193?

That's one that I recommend... it has a long track record and it's cheap enough to use for games, practice, training, and keeping for defense. There are probably better choices, like Hornady 75gr TAP and a variety of 68,69,75, and 77gr OTM loads. If you have a short barrel, the 75 and 77gr loads are better since they will fragment reliably at lower speeds. If you need to shoot through stuff like windshields and other barriers, there are different loads for that as well as different calibers.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So I guess the majority of you aren’t concerned with killing your neighbors or their kids. I probably wouldn’t put that out in the public.

On the contrary, but you're clearly reading what you want to read, not what has been written. In addition, passive-aggressive remarks like what is quoted are not a great way to elicit further advice. You have successfully communicated to me that you do not want my input and henceforth, I shall oblige.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So I guess the majority of you aren’t concerned with killing your neighbors or their kids. I probably wouldn’t put that out in the public.

The people breaking into my house sure as hell ain't.

Fact is, there is no magic ammunition that will visit adequate killing performance on an assailant and then also disappear into dust when it hits drywall, glass, or the neighbor's dumb face. It just doesn't exist. Your number one concern should be ending the threat as soon as possible, before Johnny Home Invader shoves his Anderson AR around a corner and blind fires 30 rounds down the hallway and out into the neighborhood.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

So, I guess by your own quote, you should be worried about killing your neighbors or their kids.

Why ?High Powered? 5.56 NATO/.223 AR-15 Ammo is Safer For Home Defense (FBI overpenetration testing) | Prepared Gun Owners
    Now, when most people think of overpenetration risks they assume that pistol bullets would penetrate less than the rifle or shotgun.
    That’s actually dead wrong.
    Pistol bullets consistently penetrate the most.
    Shotgun is next.
    And rifles, at least the so-called “high powered assault weapon” AR-15 in 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem penetrates the LEAST.
    [h=3]FBI and Independent Testing Has Consistently Shown .223/5.56 NATO Fired From AR-15’s Do Not Over Penetrate More Than Pistol/Shotgun[/h]

Top Bottom