Request a Hot room in Hell for a thief!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I attended my younger sister's funeral in Terre Haute yesterday, Donna was 49 years old. She developed lung cancer in May and passed away last Thursday night. Attending a funeral of a sibling really puts things in prospective of what is important in your life.

Anyway, my sister's husband and their 2 sons came home from the funeral yesterday to find some piece of s@$%%**, had broken into their home and stole several of their posessions while they were attending the funeral of my sister, their wife and mother.

The Terre Haute police came and wrote up a report and left. (lots of help there guys). One of the items taken was a small safe that contained insurance policies of my late sister. Later in the day, my brother and nephew went down the alleys near their home and found the safe about a block from their home near someones trashcans damaged but unopened. That is the only thing that was recovered.

I know I am venting here, but what kind of a sick bastard will break in to a home while the homeowner is attending the funeral of his wife? I mean WTF.

I hope this person has a special room in Hell for eternity!

OK - Rant over

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I hate to say it...

But it's more common than you think. People scan the Obits and wait for when they know no one will be home. :-(

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Let me first tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your sister. That has to be rough. I also feel for her husband and kids.

You are right, the thief or thieves do deserve a reserved seat in hell. I've heard of this happening before... I believe they read the obituaries and plan these thefts because they know people will be gone.

There seems to be no limit to the depravity of some people. I'm sorry you and your family have to endure this on top of your grieving.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    It is a common practice for scumbags to go through the obits and choose their targets. All the familiy is gone, house and property left unprotected. I have been asked by friends in the past to watch farmland to prevent this sort of thing. I feel for your loss.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    No defense of the thieves, but they probably didn't know about the funeral. Realistically, that would still not stop them.

The news is terrible. My interactions with the police in regards to theft have always been "fruitless". They seem to do nothing, but it could be the moment that the complaint filer is in: Distressed, seeming that the police have done nothing. Did your brother and nephew show the safe to the police? They could have gotten prints off it! A thin ray of hope but still, hope.

I hope things turn out better. That always stinks to hear of a bad season for someone, loss compounded by further loss.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Ah man, I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
    As for the thief/s, there is a special place in hell for them!!

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    No defense of the thieves, but they probably didn't know about the funeral. Realistically, that would still not stop them.

The news is terrible. My interactions with the police in regards to theft have always been "fruitless". They seem to do nothing, but it could be the moment that the complaint filer is in: Distressed, seeming that the police have done nothing. Did your brother and nephew show the safe to the police? They could have gotten prints off it! A thin ray of hope but still, hope.

I hope things turn out better. That always stinks to hear of a bad season for someone, loss compounded by further loss.

Yeah, they called the police before touching it and yes the police took it in for processing. Keep in mind how cold it was yesterday, I'll bet the thief was wearing gloves. I hope we get lucky and get a set of prints.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    unfortunately it is very common for people to hit a house after a obit is ppublished..

I knew about that, and when my father past we had someone stay at his house during the service, and sure enoug someone came poking around..

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Sorry about your sister. Good luck with the police, I doubt that a thief would spend the money on gloves.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Along the same lines: I had a friend in college who would scan the obits and go to funerals to get the programs and then skip class maintaining to the teacher later that he was at his aunt/mother/cousins/etc funeral....it disgusted me

Side note: he ended up deciding to become a Catholic Priest...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yep, it happens all the time. Really, if you were a smart thief, that is exactly the best time to do it, because you know with certainty that the homeowner won't be there. It happens everywhere, and it is a common occurrance.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Sorry to hear about this. When we plan funeral we usually try and have someone go to the relatives house and watch over the place. There is no telling the depth in which people will go! Things are only going to get worse Eschatologically speaking :D

What a day that will be!

mini sermon almost came out :ingo:

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Some Hospice groups provide a housesitting service to families.

Here's a ministry idea for some INGO members if you're so led! Make yourself available and known to funeral homes and pastors in your area as an honest person who is willing to help others by housesitting during funeral services.

The fact that you will likely be armed is your own business.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Some Hospice groups provide a housesitting service to families.

Here's a ministry idea for some INGO members if you're so led! Make yourself available and known to funeral homes and pastors in your area as an honest person who is willing to help others by housesitting during funeral services.

The fact that you will likely be armed is your own business.

May I interupt to suggest if some one were to do this or even just be a house sitter for some one, have a good camera ready to take pictures for people who show up at homes during the funeral for future reference in funeral robberies. It would also be cool to have a "sign in registry" available for people who show up unexpected at the home during a funeral service somewhere else. They may even give you their name to go with the picture if they figure someone is there and they aren't going to do any thing AT THIS ONE.

Who knows, may be the cops could even pull a LEO off seat belt patrol long enought to do a job the taxpayers are thinking of when politicians yap about spending more tax money to put what ever thousand more police "on the beat" to make the city safer.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    May I interupt to suggest if some one were to do this or even just be a house sitter for some one, have a good camera ready to take pictures for people who show up at homes during the funeral for future reference in funeral robberies.

That's a great idea Jack! Rep to you.

You'd certainly get a sense of the person's real intent when you start to take their picture as you're saying [with sticky sweetness in your voice] "I'll just take your picture so the family will know how thoughtful you were to stop by! And your name is____?" :D

Top Bottom