• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got a Busse SJTAC with the Comp Finish, which came from Busse with a full convex edge. I had it sharpened a while back and it came back to me with a v grind edge. The guy used a belt sander wrong for a convex edge. Anyone around here know someone who can regrind that back into a convex edge? I realize it will likely be a little thinner but I'm okay with that. Just makes it sharper.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    A belt sander is primarily what's used to put a convex edge on a knife. It may still be a convex edge just a steeper one than what was initially on there.

It's not. The edge looks like the belt was not slack and had a plate under it to keep it from flexing at all.

You can see a definite line of demarcation between where the convex grind ends and where it becomes a v:

20170527_223936_zpsf4csxfch.jpg

It's more obvious looking at it in person.

Now, all of this said, I still love the knife, carry it regularly, and use it frequently. I just want it convex again.

Edited: ya know, I may just do it myself, manually, with a sanding block. I'll be happy to simply remove that bit of shoulder and get it all polished up. There's something to be said for spending quality time with a favorite knife.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you don't do well, send it to me. I have a slack belt grinder and have a ton of experience convex sharpening.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Edited: ya know, I may just do it myself, manually, with a sanding block. I'll be happy to simply remove that bit of shoulder and get it all polished up. There's something to be said for spending quality time with a favorite knife.

400 grit wet dry sandpaper, I lay mine on my leather strop to give a little flex. It wears fast, but that's okay once you get it all smoothed out you can use the worn out stuff to polish with. I finish mine on leather with green or yellow compound.

If you don't get what you want with that method let me know, I can help you out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another option is a WorkSharp. They are tiny slack belt grinders that produce decent convex edges once you learn how to use them.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another option is a WorkSharp. They are tiny slack belt grinders that produce decent convex edges once you learn how to use them.

I know what they are. I almost bought one at the 1500 a few years back. I told the guy if he could get my Scrapyard Yard Guard screaming sharp I would buy one. He didn't. So I didn't.

This knife is my only convex edge, so I can't really justify the cost for one knife. Everything else I sharpen with stones, by hand.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know what they are. I almost bought one at the 1500 a few years back. I told the guy if he could get my Scrapyard Yard Guard screaming sharp I would buy one. He didn't. So I didn't.

This knife is my only convex edge, so I can't really justify the cost for one knife. Everything else I sharpen with stones, by hand.

Good point! On the other hand, if you have axes and hatchets, they should have conxex edges. Might be worth it then.

Top Bottom