• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So I've been watching for a used 30 gallon steel drum with a removable lid for a few years now. I've wanted one so I could use it inside of a 55 gallon drum to make my own charcoal. I have access to good quality dried hardwood splits with no bark and if I can manage to make charcoal with it I'l save somewhere in the neighborhood of around $4.3 million dollars if I live another 20 years (quite optimistic I know. Plus I'm retired and want to.

Anyway, I'm giving up on my 30 gal steel drum idea and was wondering I I might be able to make a galvanized trash can and lid work. I know exposing galvanized to heat is bad juju but I'm wondering if I could do a one time burn off and not have to worry about it again? I know I can strip it with muriatic acid but I'm thinking that it would take a lot of acid and a lot of potential exposure trying to strip it.

Any educated opinions? If not, anyone got a 30 gallon steel drum with a removable lid they wanna part with?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I’ve been making charcoal for a while now. Initially, I thought about doing the two drum method, but after a while, I realized it was simpler just to get a good fire going in a regular burn barrel, let it get down to coals, then douse it with water.

As far as to the question: you can burn the zinc off no problem, just don’t breathe it.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I don't know a thing about making charcoal but between fb marketplace, and craigslist there are dozens of listings for used barrels around here. There are also a fair amount of companies that deal in cleaning and reselling used barrels.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't know a thing about making charcoal but between fb marketplace, and craigslist there are dozens of listings for used barrels around here. There are also a fair amount of companies that deal in cleaning and reselling used barrels.
    55 gallon barrels are everywhere, the smaller 25 & 30 steel with removable lids aren't. But, as luck would have it, after posting this thread I did another search and low and behold, looky what I found for $5ea. :cool::cool:

Grabbed a third one without a removable lid which I'll store used motor oil in until I find a good use for it. Thanks for the info in this thread, I'll keep it in reserve in case these don't work out or wear out.
    C2IPWxLh.jpg

Top Bottom