• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So I've been watching for a used 30 gallon steel drum with a removable lid for a few years now. I've wanted one so I could use it inside of a 55 gallon drum to make my own charcoal. I have access to good quality dried hardwood splits with no bark and if I can manage to make charcoal with it I'l save somewhere in the neighborhood of around $4.3 million dollars if I live another 20 years (quite optimistic I know. Plus I'm retired and want to.

Anyway, I'm giving up on my 30 gal steel drum idea and was wondering I I might be able to make a galvanized trash can and lid work. I know exposing galvanized to heat is bad juju but I'm wondering if I could do a one time burn off and not have to worry about it again? I know I can strip it with muriatic acid but I'm thinking that it would take a lot of acid and a lot of potential exposure trying to strip it.

Any educated opinions? If not, anyone got a 30 gallon steel drum with a removable lid they wanna part with?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I’ve been making charcoal for a while now. Initially, I thought about doing the two drum method, but after a while, I realized it was simpler just to get a good fire going in a regular burn barrel, let it get down to coals, then douse it with water.

As far as to the question: you can burn the zinc off no problem, just don’t breathe it.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I don't know a thing about making charcoal but between fb marketplace, and craigslist there are dozens of listings for used barrels around here. There are also a fair amount of companies that deal in cleaning and reselling used barrels.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't know a thing about making charcoal but between fb marketplace, and craigslist there are dozens of listings for used barrels around here. There are also a fair amount of companies that deal in cleaning and reselling used barrels.
    55 gallon barrels are everywhere, the smaller 25 & 30 steel with removable lids aren't. But, as luck would have it, after posting this thread I did another search and low and behold, looky what I found for $5ea. :cool::cool:

Grabbed a third one without a removable lid which I'll store used motor oil in until I find a good use for it. Thanks for the info in this thread, I'll keep it in reserve in case these don't work out or wear out.
    C2IPWxLh.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom