• Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Remembering Louis Awerbuck

Remembering Louis Awerbuck - Monderno

"Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai

On June 24, 2014, after a long battle with illness, Master Firearms Instructor Louis Awerbuck took his own life.

I met Louis Awerbuck on August 26 of 2003.My first impression: He was a man to be listened to. His handshake and rough, deep- voiced South African accent set the tone. Small statured, sinewy, tanned leather-like skin, he moved like a jungle puma stalking prey. His eyes were always shielded behind the black lenses of his sunglasses, a fact that held true even during night shoots.
    If you actually saw his piercing eyes on the firing line it indicated one of two things: He’d just learned something he never knew before, or you’d been told more than once to stop doing what you just did. In both cases the tip of the glasses was for emphasis, but the later was not something you wanted to be on the end of.

Louis was a disciple of the late Col. Jeff Cooper, who was responsible for inviting him to the US and putting him to work at Gunsite. The ever humble Awerbuck suggested that his job there revolved around welding target stands and cleaning latrines, however, Cooper’s list of 12 Shooting Masters who hold a Doctorate in Firearms
    includes Louis. And that didn’t happen because he spent his years at Orange with a wrench in his hand; that occurred through his tireless efforts and study.

Louis may have started as student of the Art, but by the 90’s he was a high priest.His life devoted above all else to discovering and teaching the reality of gunfighting. As a writer, his dry wit and matter of fact delivery was a welcome change to an industry awash in bland publications that lacked substance. And as a teacher, his devotion, skills, and knowledge were unmatched.
    There was no one on the planet who understood the defensive shotgun more than he, and I have yet to meet anyone who disagrees. The lives he saved through his research and training are countless - his effect will be felt for generations.

He was a man of few words, but if asked would elaborate at length on any subject - I learned early to take advantage. Over the years I was able to train with him on 5 separate occasions and I always made sure to buy him dinner to get a few extra hours of one-on-one. It was time well spent, and time I wish there’d been more of.

He often stated (joked) that he had no friends and anyone claiming to be his “friend” was lying. I won’t lie, I wasn’t his friend. Louis Awerbuck was my teacher, I was his student.
    And the lessons he taught me I’ll never forget.

Thank you, Louis.

Frank Sharpe
    Fortress Defense

"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."-Anonymous

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Remembering Louis Awerbuck - Monderno

"Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai

On June 24, 2014, after a long battle with illness, Master Firearms Instructor Louis Awerbuck took his own life.

I met Louis Awerbuck on August 26 of 2003.My first impression: He was a man to be listened to. His handshake and rough, deep- voiced South African accent set the tone. Small statured, sinewy, tanned leather-like skin, he moved like a jungle puma stalking prey. His eyes were always shielded behind the black lenses of his sunglasses, a fact that held true even during night shoots.
    If you actually saw his piercing eyes on the firing line it indicated one of two things: He’d just learned something he never knew before, or you’d been told more than once to stop doing what you just did. In both cases the tip of the glasses was for emphasis, but the later was not something you wanted to be on the end of.

Louis was a disciple of the late Col. Jeff Cooper, who was responsible for inviting him to the US and putting him to work at Gunsite. The ever humble Awerbuck suggested that his job there revolved around welding target stands and cleaning latrines, however, Cooper’s list of 12 Shooting Masters who hold a Doctorate in Firearms
    includes Louis. And that didn’t happen because he spent his years at Orange with a wrench in his hand; that occurred through his tireless efforts and study.

Louis may have started as student of the Art, but by the 90’s he was a high priest.His life devoted above all else to discovering and teaching the reality of gunfighting. As a writer, his dry wit and matter of fact delivery was a welcome change to an industry awash in bland publications that lacked substance. And as a teacher, his devotion, skills, and knowledge were unmatched.
    There was no one on the planet who understood the defensive shotgun more than he, and I have yet to meet anyone who disagrees. The lives he saved through his research and training are countless - his effect will be felt for generations.

He was a man of few words, but if asked would elaborate at length on any subject - I learned early to take advantage. Over the years I was able to train with him on 5 separate occasions and I always made sure to buy him dinner to get a few extra hours of one-on-one. It was time well spent, and time I wish there’d been more of.

He often stated (joked) that he had no friends and anyone claiming to be his “friend” was lying. I won’t lie, I wasn’t his friend. Louis Awerbuck was my teacher, I was his student.
    And the lessons he taught me I’ll never forget.

Thank you, Louis.

Frank Sharpe
    Fortress Defense

"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."-Anonymous

Awesome post. You were indeed lucky. Not many of us get to meet a truly great man and you obviously have done that at least once and learned at the hand of a master. I never had the privilege of meeting Mr. Awerbuck but I have found this post and all the things Rhino has said about him to be inspiring. May be rest in peace, and may those who knew him allow him to live on in their lives.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    This is the first I have heard of this. I always liked the guy. I learned a lot from him and I really liked the way he taught his classes. What a great loss for all serous gun students. This should give those that didn't know him an idea of how he thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M41UZhOrEYw

Last edited:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    This is the first I have heard of this. I always liked the guy. I learned a lot from him and I really liked the way he taught his classes. What a great loss for all serous gun students. This should give those that didn't know him an idea of how he thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M41UZhOrEYw

All of those videos are well worth the watch - at least we have some of his thoughts documented for future generations.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    While I never got the chance to be a student, the Rhino invited me along to meet, Louis one day a few years ago.

In the hour that we all talked, Mr. Awerbuck, left a great impression on me.

Top Bottom