• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i got some good german surplus for my ma1 from aim.and it got me wondering how it would do just to see as an experiment on accuracy in my rem 700,is there any reason why i shouldnt?:dunno::ar15:

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    None, it's good to go.

It's firing 5.56 out of .223 chambers that's an issue.

getting off the subject here but what is the difference in 223 and 5.56 I thought they were the same thing. I have shoot military 5.56 out of my savage bolt action .223. should I not be doing this?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i shoot surplus 7.62x51 exclusively. (it's cheaper for me) i feel like it is just as accurate as current production. it's not match ammo but i shoot 100-225yds so its more than sufficient.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    getting off the subject here but what is the difference in 223 and 5.56 I thought they were the same thing. I have shoot military 5.56 out of my savage bolt action .223. should I not be doing this?
    I always thought they were the same round with a different name, 5.56mm (miitary) & .223Rem. (civilian), but since then I've learned that the "leade" on the 5.56mm is longer, and the case capacity, and thickness of the case walls are different from the .223Rem. It's okay to shoot .223Rem in a 5.56mm chamber, but not the other way around, because the pressure is higher. Hope this helps.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I thought that stuff was fairly clean, relative to other inexpensive surplus. It was not tack-driver accurate through my 700, but it was good enough for plinking purposes! Enjoy! Cheaperthandirt.com usually has some reasonable 7.62 x 51 as well.

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    Actually 5.56 should be loaded to a higher pressure than .223 ammo so its out of SAAMI specs. I do know that its safe to shoot .223 ammo in a 5.56 chambered rifle but it is not recommended by SAMMI to shoot 5.56 in a .223 chambered rifle.

This is why most ARs are actually chambered in 5.56mmx45. However some rifles like Rock River Arms chambers in a Wylde chamber which is in between a 5.56 and .223 chambering.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Ever heard of a 223 blown up with 5.56 ? Nope me neither, another over rated non problem.

308 surplus varies by country of origin, lot # , bullet type etc. Some can be very hot, most is with spec. Commerical hotter then Surplus Mil-Spec, nope. Run it over a chrony. In a 700 platform it is unlikely you will run into any trouble with any of it, a 700 is a strong action.

Only Surplus 308 I know which has actually blown guns is Surplus Indian that was on the market years ago. Seems that the Indians were pulling down ammo and doing some reman. Some of the brass was of different thickness, I had no problems with it, but it was not accurate. Pretty much just blasting ammo. But there was a lot that got out that had some bad boys in it that blew a few guns. Not seen any of it on the market for some time, but I would avoid any Indian 308 from private sales as well. Keep an eye out on the 308 German surplus, some had corrosive primers. If you can find some the 2 best IMO was the Hirtenburger and the Brit Radway Green. Both would excellent, but the Radway was non reloadable Berdan primed.

Top Bottom