Reloading 10GA shotgun shells - Is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I did a bit of reading before asking this, but mostly people talked about how cheap 12GA and 20GA are so reloading for cost savings is not practical right now due to high lead/powder costs. But I'm unable to find much info on reloading 10GA.

I'm finding that 10GA is about $1.09 per shell or more, plus shipping. It's hard to find locally. So I guess my question is two parts:

Is this worth getting into? I have 0 reloading equipment or experience, though I do have some friends and family with reloading experience so learning the trade is doable.

If this is worth doing, what's the least expensive way to get into from the beginning? I don't need manufacturer production - just a hobby to save money on 10GA ammo. I don't shoot it very often, but I might shoot it more if I can get into reloading it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How often can you stand to shoot it? A dollars worth of 10 ga is about all I want. By the time you've invested in all you need to reload and factor in your time, you'll need to reload a bunch to make it cost effective.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Considering a shotshell press can be had new for about $80, (likely much less on ebay, etc) it could be worth it if you shoot it a lot. Its not like brass reloaders that cost $500 to get started. From what I have seen, a shotshell press is the cheapest reloader out there when comparing apples to apples. I dont consider single stage presses in the same class even though they cost about the same because shotshell presses include the powder and shot dispensers and are closer to a progressive press in operation.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As you said, it's not really cost effect to justify reloading 12 gauge and even 20 gauge lately, but if you intend to shoot that 10 gauge more than a couple of hundred rounds a year, it might actually make sense, at least if you can find a press at a reasonable price, and even more so if you have appropriate powder already and have a source for shot.
    I was going to suggest the Lee Load All II, ordinarily the cheapest shotshell press, but it that one isn't available for 10 gauge, so it seems that you'll have to look at the likes of the MEC 600 Jr. Mark 5 (right at or above the $200 point) for a new press, but you should be able to find one of those or something similar for a bit less used if you look around in the right places.
    Another benefit of getting into reloading for 10 gauge is that you can customize the loads according to your level of recoil tolerance.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    MEC 600JR-----212.99 at Midway USA

I load-re-load for about everything I shoot (except rimfire)-------------not looking at saving money--for me,it has become a great hobby-----I load a lot of "wildcat ammo"-building a ctg--taking it to a range and doing a 1/4moa--seeing a clay break,or a Pheasant drop is reason enough(for me) for reloading--------during my trapshooting days,my wife,daughter and I would go through thousands of shotshells at the larger registered shoots---hundreds,at the two day shoots---that was a real good reason for reloading(lol),didnt take long for me to buy a MEC 9000H,only way to go.
    As "Oldpink" said "In reloading,you can customize your loads"

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I load for a 10ga double barrel shotgun. Got a MEC reloader with my Credit Card points.

I cast my own buckshot and slugs, so custom loads are cheap and fun to shoot. Think "Double load of Double Ought"-12ga has 9 pellets of 00 buck, 3 1/2 inch 10 ga can hold 18 pellets.

Shotshell reloading is different than metallic cartridge reloading. There is no margin for error in the data and components. Get quality manual, or better yet, talk to a veteran reloader before getting started. For pressure reasons no substitutions can be made in components or powder.

It is fun and easy with the proper preparations.

I shoot the 10 ga a lot in the summer for fun.

Enjoy.

Don

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    10 gauge is king of the woods for turkey and coyote, and I love my SP-10. In the deep woods, if you can see it, it's dead.

Top Bottom