• ...and so much more!
  • PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Hey yall,

It's good to be back on INGO! Been out for a while, but back now. Need some advice... I am no longer in a profession in which I am required to carry a firearm, and would like to be able to get away from CCING my Glock 23. I'm in the market for a subcompact .40, or 9mm, and would like some suggestions. Id like to get back to a single stack mag, so no Glocks, or M&P's. Been considering a Kahr, but just never dove too much into the subcompact world. My budget would be between $400 & $500. I'm not opposed to preowned.

Thanks!:ar15:

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I've seen some pix of the LC9, and from what I see and read, it seems good. I've shot an LCP, but Ottawa way too small for my mits. Anybody written a review?

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Reading between the lines here, you were forced to carry a double stack compact .40, but you would like to stop. Is it the discomfort, or do you feel there is a very low risk of you needing it?

I would just like to point out that you are currently carrying a weapon with an extremely high reliability rating, and you are already used to wearing it everyday. You also already own it, presumably a holster and accessories for it, and you are a skilled user with it. If you knew you were going to have to draw and use it today, would you trade it for a 7 shot 9mm before the gunfight?

I am not saying you are wrong for wanting a smaller gun, certainly carrying one is better than not carrying one period. I am just curious why a slightly smaller gun that compromises a lot of advantages has sufficient appeal to you. I actually wanted anything but a Glock before I bought mine, but once I started shopping purely on numbers and stats, I couldn't bring myself to settle. The compact line of Glocks are some of the most feature packed guns (capacity, safety, recoil, reliability, sights, weight, etc) for their relatively exceptional size (1.18in w) and great price.

Sure you can get by with less, but for all that they offer, they aren't nearly the boat anchor that "compact" guns were 20 years ago. This is all just my two cents worth, but after two years of carrying every day, I wouldn't dream of downgrading unless deep concealment were an issue.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'd have to put another point on the board for the CM9. Less than 5.5 inches long and 14 oz. empty, 16.9 loaded. The Beretta Nano is due out next month; it's a smidge bigger and 4 oz heavier though. I have not heard about price point yet.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I know it is not a very popular brand amongst a lot of people on this site, but the taurus 709/740 sounds like it might be what you are looking for, they are small around the grip but there is a grip out there called palmswell that helps it to fit better check them out.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not trying to be smart here, but you already have a great defensive pistol in the Glock 23. Keep that gun it will serve you well. Next invest in a good Smith & Wesson 642 airweight. Now you will have a gun for all occasions. Both set the standard for reliability. I have tried a lot of different handguns over the years and this combo is what I use.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not by any means down on the Glock! I love it! It's an awesome gun, and super reliable. I did have to carry every day, open, and I am comfortable with it. However, I work in an environment which I no longer can carry. Plus my normal attire has drastically changed, and I find myself thrust into the business world. As to the size, its not an issue when OCing, however I never OC anymore, and its very difficult for me to COMFORTABLY conceal my Glock 23. I'm about 6' 2", and about 170lbs dripping wet. I need something thinner and lighter and smaller for ACTUAL concealment! :) I like the Kahr models a lot, and I'm open to the LC9, or the Kel Tec. That's my thoughts:twocents:

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    You may want to try and find a gently used Sig P239 in .40. It's easy to conceal and very reliable. I used to have one with hogue grips and I really liked it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    However, I work in an environment which I no longer can carry. Plus my normal attire has drastically changed, and I find myself thrust into the business world.

Ah now here is the issue. What I would consider casual concealment versus the need for deep concealment. While I don't particularly care for the mini .380s, this is one area where they shine. The LC9, PF9, Kahrs are not a lot bigger. For what it is worth I agree that the Glocks are a bit thick. I find myself leaving the G23 in the safe and carrying an airweight revolver.

Other things to consider are belts and holsters. You will find that a quality gun belt will help distribute the weight of a firearm and help with concealment. Try companies like the Beltman. He makes very nice belts that will fit into a business environment.

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Walther PPS

dsc03229iv.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I am in the same boat, having to carry in the business world. Having said that, my EDC is either an LCP, KelTec PF9 or P11. I thought I would like the PF9 because its a tad thinner than the P11, but the grip feels much better on the P11. So most of the time is the P11 and then second is the LCP.

Plus, all are extremely reliable and very lightweight...you don't even know you're carrying them and neither does anyone else for that matter

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Here's another question to throw out there. I'm also in the process of buying my wife a pocket gun, and we've settled on the MR Micro Eagle. The thing is, she would like to shoot one before we put $500 into one. Does anybody have one, or know of someone who does who would consider letting us meet them at a range to try it?

Top Bottom