• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Great idea above, and rep added for ingenuity. (and yes, as a matter of fact I DID rep the "child taped to wall" pic before I did the redneck drawer lock! :D )

This might also be a good time to begin teaching the Eddie Eagle rules. Granted, at 2.5, your little one will only at most be parroting phrases and not absorbing meanings, but the phrases will "stick" early and understanding will follow.

"If you duct-tape your baby to the wall rather than lock up your guns... you MIGHT be a redneck."

The only suggestion I might make for this would be to find some way to spring-load the "lock" so that one must be twisting the handle at the same time as working the drawer. A small child will not have the "reach" to do that.

Oh, and Evan? DUDE! Dust your dresser top! :laugh: (just kidding-mine needs it, too)

Blessings,
    B

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The only suggestion I might make for this would be to find some way to spring-load the "lock" so that one must be twisting the handle at the same time as working the drawer. A small child will not have the "reach" to do that.

In keeping with the KISS principle, I'd suggest hanging a couple ounces of weight (maybe from fishing sinkers) on the end of the "hook" portion. Gravity will pull it down to hold the drawer if you're not holding the handle. You'll also need to twist the hook up out of the way to close the drawer.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Very ingenious. Unfortunately I walked into a relationship where there was two 2 and 5 y/o girls. I just got me a forty dollar electronic gun safe and put it in a drawer. When i get into a permanent home I plan on anchoring it to a wall or floor. Now that we have 9, 7, and 4 y/o girls and a 3 y/o boy, I'm looking into a REAL gun safe now that I have rifles too.

If he isn't climbing counters by 3 y/o you're doing something wrong! LOL My son was a monkey the day he learned to crawl! Fatherhood is such a blessing! It brings out the best in all us rednecks, as we can all see!

Reps for the genius!

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I would certainly say what you've done is better than nothing, but I have my first on the way and a lot of visiting nieces/nephews that are in that "get into stuff" age. I looked at real safes for a long time, but it would be put in a place that was not quick access. Also, my gun collection does not warrant a high dollar safe right now.

What I ended up doing was getting one of those relatively cheap stack on security cabinets as well as a small quick access safe for the bedroom. I plan to mount the cabinet to the wall and anchor the small safe to something. I know this will not hold up to a full scale break-in, but it ought to stand up to the kids and the snatch and run types.

The best part of this investment is the peace of mind that I have now about my equipment. :twocents:

~Poe

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So here was my dilemma:

I'm used to keeping my carry gun + extra handgun in a high dresser drawer. Its near the bed in our bedroom, so its very accessible, but high enough that any "babies" or small children couldn't access it. I didn't want to keep it in the locked gunsafe, as its located in my home office and can't be reached in a hurry.

Get a padlock and lock it through the trigger guard behind the trigger or a revolver may also have the cylinder swung out and the lock on the top strap. Put the key on something around your neck.

The LEO's may want to chime in but I believe this is pretty common means of locking their weapon when they don't have other means available. Many will use their handcuffs for this.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I am pleased with the thought process and time you took to see this project thru...however, I am glad that you feel this is merely temporary. An under the bed pistol safe would do the trick for years to come....but I also understand that monies can be tight for alot of people now.

Good Job.

Top Bottom