• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So here was my dilemma:

I'm used to keeping my carry gun + extra handgun in a high dresser drawer. Its near the bed in our bedroom, so its very accessible, but high enough that any "babies" or small children couldn't access it. I didn't want to keep it in the locked gunsafe, as its located in my home office and can't be reached in a hurry.

All that has changed. I now have a 2.5 year old that loves to climb. However unlikely, I fear that he could be able to weasel his way up to the drawer and open it. He's shown no interest in doing such things, but I'm pretty sure he's capable.

So now I start thinking of various ways to secure my firearms from unauthorized users, while still being able to access them quickly, and possibly in the dark. I'm not necessarily looking for something that would be 100% theft proof, as in a bolted down heavy safe ($$$).

Of course, I know there are many places out there that make quick-access safes specifically for this purpose, and that is probably what I will finally come around too. However, I wanted to lock these puppies down ASAP, and I wanted to do it as economically as possible, for the time being.

So my redneck brain starts thinking. . . . and here is the "quick-fix" solution I came up with.

Here is your basic chest of drawers. Its got crap all over it, and I hang my work clothes on it. Pretty basic.
    5p2xc9.jpg

Here is the drawer I'm wanting to secure. Top right.
    w9hgzo.jpg

I grab a few tools. Specifically a drill, tent stake, washer, and electical tape.
    snksjr.jpg

I then mark a spot on the inside of the chest, just above where the top of the drawer comes to. (this was tricky, and I had to mark it 3 times)
    2r5fh4o.jpg

Then I drilled a small hole from the inside out. This is what it looked like from the backside.
    fk39eu.jpg

Then I inserted the tent stake from the back of the chest, with the small "L" piece going in first, leaving just the rod tip sticking out. I twisted the "L" piece to point down, and hooked it over the top of the drawer inside, keeping it from being able to be pulled out. I marked around the tip sticking out. Then I started wrapping it in electrical tape to create something for the washer to sit against so the rod wouldn't go any further into the hole.
    10qmf4g.jpg

Finished tent stake, with tape and washer in place.
    9zlqus.jpg

I also put a small nail on the inside of the drawer, to give the "L" piece something to stop against when its turned properly into place.
    2sb7586.jpg

So then I close the drawer fully. I then insert the rod into the hole, with the "L" piece being horizontal. When it slides over the top of the drawer inside, I then twist it 90 degrees until the "L" piece is pointing straight down (vertical). This locks the drawer into place, and keeps it from being opened.
    wtesno.jpg

And here is a backed-off shot of the whole mess.
    11m8i39.jpg

Redneck Diagram (side view):
    qxs27k.jpg

The idea is that the drawer cannot be opened by simply pulling on it. The operator must first reach around to the back and "unlock" the drawer by twisting the tent stake 90 degrees. Then the drawer opens like normal. And the lock is completely hidden, as its on the back of the dresser out of sight. This would be very simple to operate under stress and in the dark. Plus, if for some reason, under the stress of the situation, I needed to get into the drawer RIGHT NOW, I could give a hard enough pull to rip the washer through the fiberboard backing completely and the drawer would open, but this kind of force could not be applied by a child, or someone casually looking through your underwear drawer. . . .:dunno:

This is a temporary solution, but I think rednecks everywhere would be proud!!

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    esrice, while I like the ingenuity in your design, I must point out that you cannot claim the Redneck title for this, as there is one major flaw in it. You may be a Redneck apprentice but every true Redneck knows that electrical tape is not used when you have perfectly good Duct-tape available. Maybe that can be Dresser Drawer Quick Lock V 2.0 :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Every extra bit of security counts...

But, why not just unlock it before you go to bed? Then you know you'll not have to fumble through it if you NEED IT RIGHT NOW type of thing.

Lock it back when you leave for work.

Just a suggestion to ponder?

-J-

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    esrice, while I like the ingenuity in your design, I must point out that you cannot claim the Redneck title for this, as there is one major flaw in it. You may be a Redneck apprentice but every true Redneck knows that electrical tape is not used when you have perfectly good Duct-tape available. Maybe that can be Dresser Drawer Quick Lock V 2.0 :D

As I have to agree with you on the duct tape. He may have used all the duct tape to secure the youngin while workin as pictured. And under closer scrutiny of the photos the temporary tattoos on top of the dresser make up for this indiscretion...JC :rockwoot:

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    This may be a good temporary solution (and very ingenious), but children, espically climbing ones, are very smart, they watch you all the time, and are very good at getting in where you thought it would be impossible.

My question is, do you trust your life and the life of your child to this device?

When I first got a pistol I locked it in my briefcase when I wasn't carrying it, unlocking it at night, not the best solution, but it held for a while. My wife got me a small safe for the pistols and ammo, I think it cost her about $50. Nothing fancy mind you, but better peace of mind with childrens around.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I can't get past the animal crackers in pic#1. Now I'm hungry. I love those little suckers.
    Which answers the burning question; YES, a vegan can eat animal crackers.:D
    Speaking of crackers...nice job, redneck.:yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And under closer scrutiny of the photos the temporary tattoos on top of the dresser make up for this indiscretion...JC :rockwoot:

Good eye! And to top it off, they are pirate tattoos! There is even one that works as a fake mustache! (son was pirate for Halloween)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That is a great use of the human mind. Perfect for a cheap solution.

However, if it were me doing it, rather than tape the crap out of the handle, I would've bent that part down, so that it was shaped like a "U" and then the rear of the handle would always be pointing the way the hook is pointing inside. So you know for sure that it is locked good.

I still like it though!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think we're related or something....why buy a $3 child proof cabinet lock set from Wallyworld when you can make it yourself for $10, use electical (should've been duct tape), and get to use your power tools.

For rev 2.0, I suggest you figure out a way to use a dremmel. :D

In all serousness though, it got me thinking...my 16 month old is getting into everything and climbing too. Think the gun in the nightstand is going to need to find a new location, or I need to put one of those cabinet drawer pull locks in.

Top Bottom