• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    These little *****s are on my last nerve. They have chewed through car wires, gotten into my workshop, and now getting into my house/attic. I have tried both rat snap traps and live traps with quit a lot of different baits. I would try shooting them, but the only time I see them outside is on neighbors property. Today I managed to corner one in the basement and took care of it with a baseball bat. Any thoughts on what I can do to successfully trap these damn things?

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Have you tried uncoiled rice?

Raw walnuts seem to be pretty popular as bait, but squirrels are darn crafty vermin.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I put one of these next to my truck in the old barn, the other in my shallow basement. Both produced well in the beginning, then gradually tapered off to a couple/three catches a year.

1695005344229.png

I put out three small hav-a-hearts in proven spots outside in the early chipmunk season. Same results. Used to catch a bunch, now days 1-2 a season.

Seems as if you can clean out the area over a few years of eliminating generations?

:dunno:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I know grey squirrels love peanut butter and it works great in a live trap then do with them as you wish. Little bastards chewed threw the fuel line on my truck last year.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Had two get in my camper a couple years ago. They chewed through a side vent. Ate all the wiring off my furnace and stored hundreds of walnuts in the cupboards and under the tub. Ate some towels and a bedspread.
    I do not recommend rat poison as they can crawl into places you can't and then die. Trap them then kill them. Got a new shooter? Release them where they can practice on running shots with a scattergun.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Has anyone had squirrels and not had damage?

We had next to none last year but this year we've seen quite a few...so much so that we have zero hickory nuts on the ground. Last year, we were picking up trash bags full of hickory nuts and had to buy a roller to pick them up.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I've got a big old white oak in the backyard that's having a bumper crop of acorns. Needless to say it's a tree rat
    heaven that needs to be addressed. Last year a young one was dead on the driveway. It apparently fell out of a tree
    onto the concrete and became garden fertilizer.

Top Bottom