• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    "Red Dawn": Important Movie Marks 25th Anniversary, as Star Fights Heroic Battle Against Cancer

By Debbie Schlussel

This is one of those things that makes you feel old. Some movie publicists tell me that Thursday is the 25th anniversary of an important movie, "Red Dawn," which depicts a Soviet Communist invasion of America and a band of American teens--the "Wolverines"--who heroically fight them off. (IMDB differs and says it was released on August 10, 1984, so I'll repost on this, again, then.)
    American Cinemathique sent me word that the organization will be marking "Red Dawn's" 25th anniversary with a special showing and discussion at the historic, restored Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, on Thursday Night at 7:30 p.m. So if you live in the Los Angeles area, this is a great opportunity to see this excellent movie as it was meant to be seen--on the big screen. More details here.
    reddawn2.jpg

"Red Dawn" Trailer . . .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_I4WgBfETc"]YouTube - Red Dawn[/ame]

Although it was panned by many critics (a/k/a liberals) at the time, "Red Dawn" is a great movie that stands the test of time . . . if you realize that the Communist threat of yesterday in the movie could easily be the Islamic threat of today, taking over our country unless we stop them. Only a few years after "Red Dawn" came out, the Soviet Union fell. But several of the Communist leaders on our own Western Hemisphere, in Latin America, who were around then--like Nicaragua's Daniel Ortega--are back or have been replaced by far worse, such as Venezuela's Hugo Chavez and Bolivia's Evo Morales.
    As I wrote in a previous column:
    At the time it came out, we were in the midst of fighting the Soviets and other forces of Communist hegemony in the Cold War. That's why despite universal critical panning, the movie was a box office success, with Americans paying to see it in droves. It was an important film that embodied the fight Ronald Reagan was preventing in our future by fighting--and beating--it during his Presidency. If only President Bush had done the same in the last 6.5 years, instead of kowtowing to it. Unlike Ronald Reagan, his actions insure that "Black Dawn" will not just be a movie.
    I've always said that "Red Dawn" and "Arlington Road" are both great movies that should be remade into timely movies with Muslims replacing Communists and neo-Nazis. They are the current threat. But Hollywood refuses to believe it. Given that mentality, it's in fact miraculous that "Red Dawn" was ever made. Don't look for "Green Dawn" or "Black Dawn"--about the Muslim invasion--to ever get greenlit.
    And as we celebrate this great, important movie, let's not forget its star, Patrick Swayze, whose heroic battle against pancreatic cancer has taken a turn for the worse. He has lived far longer than most who are struck with this horrible disease. And, even though I've been critical of some of his political statements in the past (here and here), I don't forget his contribution in starring in "Red Dawn." And we should keep him in our prayers.
    reddawnpic.jpg

Biggdogg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Indianapolis/Greenwood
    How true!! With the apparent "warm and cuddlies" that Obama has for both Cuba and Hugo Chavez, coupled with his disdain for making sure that our borders are secured, are people naive enough to think that this ISN'T a real possibility? Wait a minute...who am I kidding...they're the same ones that put Obama in office to begin with!!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That movie got my Red White and Blue Blood worked up then and that trailer got it worked up again.

Even when the movie came out I was getting older. I was 35 then. However, I was 6 foot 205 pounds and faily solid at that age. Not now. But I hope to be again, but I doubt it. My shoulders and legs are shot and don't work too well anymore.

Younger Patriots may just need us old farts someday.

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Saw it on the Friday when it came out as a 20 year old college kid. The theater, and this was in Center City Philadelphia, was packed. A cop in uniform was part of the SRO crowd and was teared up when I passed him exiting when it was over. People look back through the prism of the present and do not remember how scary those times were and the very real threat that existed.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Saw it on the Friday when it came out as a 20 year old college kid. The theater, and this was in Center City Philadelphia, was packed. A cop in uniform was part of the SRO crowd and was teared up when I passed him exiting when it was over. People look back through the prism of the present and do not remember how scary those times were and the very real threat that existed.

:+1: :patriot: well put....

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    Its hard to believe it came out that long ago. Red Dawn is probably one of my top 3 movies of all time. Never got a chance to see it at the theater but I now have it on both VHS & DVD and watch it atleast once a month.

:rockwoot: WOLVERINES! :rockwoot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh yes. "Red Dawn"... Last time I watched that movie... Hmmm....

WAS LAST NIGHT!!!!! :rockwoot:

Soviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years...
    Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade...
    Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall...
    Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil...
    Mexico plunged into revolution...
    NATO dissolves. United States stands alone.

It's 11:59 on Radio Free America; this is Uncle Sam, with music, and the truth until dawn. Right now I've got a few words for some of our brothers and sisters in the occupied zone: "the chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall", "john has a long mustache, john has a long mustache". It's twelve o'clock, American, another day closer to victory. And for all of you out there, on, or behind the line, this is your song.
    [the Battle Hymn of the Republic begins to play]

Boys! Avenge me! Avenge me!

Jed Eckert: How did you get shot down, Colonel?
    Col. Andy Tanner: It was five to one. I got four.

Col. Andy Tanner: ...The Russians need to take us in one piece, and that's why they're here. That's why they won't use nukes anymore; and we won't either, not on our own soil. The whole damn thing's pretty conventional now. Who knows? Maybe next week will be swords.
    Darryl Bates: What started it?
    Col. Andy Tanner: I don't know. Two toughest kids on the block, I guess. Sooner or later, they're gonna fight.
    Jed Eckert: That simple, is it?
    Col. Andy Tanner: Or maybe somebody just forget what it was like.
    Jed Eckert: ...Well, who *is* on our side?
    Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screaming Chinamen.
    Darryl Bates: Last I heard, there were a billion screaming Chinamen.
    Col. Andy Tanner: There *were*.
    [he throws whiskey on the fire; it ignites violently, suggesting a nuclear explosion]

Col. Andy Tanner: [his dying words, after being killed while dropping a smoke bomb into a Russian tank] Come on, buddies! Come and get 'em! Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes.
    [gets blown up by an American tank]

Ahhh how I love this movie... I think I'm gonna have to watch it again tonight...

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Loved the movie also.

Isn't it nice that Hollywood always cozies up with our enemies. They used to like the commies, now they like the muslims. As posted above it's a wonder this movie ever got made. They did love to make money back in the day. Now it doesn't seem to be as big of a consideration.

Isn't it ironic that while the libs seem to want to cozy up to the muslims, they will be amongst the first the muslims would behead if they took over.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Red Dawn was one of the movies that really made me want to live in Colorado. Ten years after the movie was released, I moved to Colorado!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My vote for best scene. It reminds me of the mouse flipping off the diving eagle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6lvso5b5FQ]YouTube - C. Thomas Howell gets a cap in his ass[/ame]

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    25 years...WOW!! I remember a friend of mine was a DJ at a radio station in Champaign,Illinois when this came out and I "won" tickets to the premier at the theatre, picked up some little hottie going into the theatre and watched a pretty good movie and had a darn good time afterwards...:D

Those were the days....:patriot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    25 years...WOW!! I remember a friend of mine was a DJ at a radio station in Champaign,Illinois when this came out and I "won" tickets to the premier at the theatre, picked up some little hottie going into the theatre and watched a pretty good movie and had a darn good time afterwards...:D

Those were the days....:patriot:

WARNING!

:hijack:

Ahhh yes... Champaign! Church street, some apartments over near the HS, Baymont Inn Suites, Windsor Road Trailer Park.... Mmmmmmm Them was the days alright. Although my experiance was centered around 2000-03... :D

I'd rather live in Colorado!!!!

Back to your regularly scheduled Kick-Ass thread!

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington

Yeah, I was 2 during the Cuban Missile Crisis blissfully unaware that it scared the crap out of my Mom.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    In my top 3 greatest movies of all time. Made we want to go buy a AK just so I could wave it over my head and scream *WOLVERINES* not to mention its very politically incorrect. I recommend it to anyone who will listen.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Red Dawn was one of the movies that really made me want to live in Colorado. Ten years after the movie was released, I moved to Colorado!

Funny, as the movie was actually (parts at least) shot in and around Las Vegas, New Mexico (4 corners area).

I worked with a lady whose mother still lived in that town when they shot the movie. The funny thing is, there was no big announcement about the movie or any of the shooting. Needless to say, her mother was scared :poop:less one morning when, upon looking out her back window, she saw paratroopers raining into the fields behind her home. :popcorn:

Anyway, while it is not "cinematic brilliance" by any stretch, I love the movie for what it represents so well. :ar15:

Top Bottom