• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a 3.5-10x on my .3006.
    My .35 rem wears a 2-7x ( previously a fixed 4x ).

Wouldnt mind a high comb sav 99 feather weight in .250.sav w a fixed 2.5x

;)

I like low mag as I will shoot movers. Have for years.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Made a dozen moves during my career so I share the sentiment.
    :laugh:

If I was hunting now in Indiana I'd pro'bly just go with a muzzleloader, a second hand TC with the barrel reworked to have .458" bore. A .45-70 bullet mold and ninety to a hundred grains of powder is overkill and inherently accurate. For scopes, an extended eye relief 2x7 variable mounted in the scout rifle position works well.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Your Leupold scope is not overkill. When hunting in the woods, I want something that will let me see my target as well as any obstacle (small sapling) that may detour my bullet path. It also let's you evaluate body or rack size before deciding to shoot.

And yes, a 308 is fine, especially if you don't reload.
    Excellent points. If you need to skimp a bit to meet a budget, save the money on the rifle but don't go chintzy on the optics. All my serious hunting guns wear at least a mid range Vortex or better scope, the majority are Leupold. And I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination.
    A rifle in 6.5 Grendel under that Leupold would be a super combination. Ammo may not be available in every corner store but it is not hard to find. If Tikka made the T3x Lite in the Grendel my 6.5x55 Hunter would never leave the safe.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I REALLY like my Ruger GSR. I happen to like the EFR scope, some don't. It is super handy with an Aimpoint micro or clone. You can put on a traditional scope and ditch the rail if you so desire. Mine is sub MOA (3 consecutive 5 shot groups) off a bench with Hornady American Whitetail 150gr spire point ammunition, and said ammo has laid down every deer it has hit within 30 yards. It's light enough to be handy, heavy enough to feel sturdy. The only thing I would change about it is to make mine stainless. (Which are now available)

The 18" barrel is also short enough to not be ridiculously unwieldy with my Silenco Omega attached. Sorry, no deer yet with that combo.

View attachment 147380 View attachment 147381
    Keep this up and you're going to have to change your user name to Succeedin'!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If you want to step up to 12 guage the Savage 212 slug gun is fantastic.

I would go with a lever gun in 44, 30-30 or 35 rem. I actually chose to scope the 44 and use it vs my 35 Rem just because of ammo availability and it was drilled already.the 35 is a hammer though, but the 20 guage is easily as capable as these inside 50yards though. If you venture out to 100-150 the lever can be a good choice.

The main thing is do you hunt private property

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I did not feel poorly scoped w a 40 yr old Leupold M8 4x.

Surely the coatings and lenses today are better.

Have had a few of the Freedom VX series and they seem fine glass wise but the adjustments were a little mushy. Dialed right in and held zero, so on a set n forget I dont see it as an issue. My vx3i has one adjustment less than crisp in feel, but it too is set and forget and dialed in, has held zero.

I might upgrade to a Steiner GS. Made in Greely CO. Kinda kills the euro vibe though LOL

Have NEVER had an issue identifying my critter size/ rack by using non Alpha glass. But since my rigs spend more time at home than in field.....yeah, i should upgrade.

Part of being a rifle loonie

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have never understood the bolt shotgun concept. Not when rifled pumps do so well. If a quick second shot is needed......pump gun wins.

Do think that one should set up a deer shotgun and leave it alone, not try to have one gun do it all.

Yes, it costs more. But there could be other expenses ( missed or flubbed opportunities afield ).

Until the scamdemic, deer pump guns were a hard sell. PCR and rifle changes killed the deer handgun/ shotgun market.

And X bow has slammed compound sales.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A .350 legend might be the cheapest way to run these days.
    I do think ARs to be hideous.
    But then to my eye a Contender rifle is kinda cool looking.
    Bbls cost so much now.

Id look at the Winchestwr , what is it? XPR?

Coworker got one and it shoots great.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I like Leupold scopes. The scope is rugged, dependable, and their warranty is second to none if you happen to have a scope issue.

Lever guns in 30-30, or actually, I prefer .44 Magnum, would be more than adequate for the distances you mention, especially with the LeveRevolution .44 Mag. ammo. Or, you could just go ahead and go with the .30-06, which would exclude hunting public ground, but you`d have enough rifle for Indiana white-tails and anything else you might ever go hunt out of state.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I like Leupold scopes. The scope is rugged, dependable, and their warranty is second to none if you happen to have a scope issue.

Lever guns in 30-30, or actually, I prefer .44 Magnum, would be more than adequate for the distances you mention, especially with the LeveRevolution .44 Mag. ammo. Or, you could just go ahead and go with the .30-06, which would exclude hunting public ground, but you`d have enough rifle for Indiana white-tails and anything else you might ever go hunt out of state.
    IMG_1168.JPG

When Indiana FINALLY went to pistol caliber long guns, I picked up an old Marlin and sold the slug gun.

I DO NOT miss the slug gun. Save for compliance, it never did anything that something else could not do MUCH better.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    12 ga foster makes a good sized hole for red to spill.

The old hourglass BRI style sabot High Impact Supreme stuff did too. .50 cal projectile of good accuracy and impressive effect.

Have shot deer w .35 rem and .44 mag rifles and my 12s were more wicked, on the deer and me LOL.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    How about a wood and blued steel Remington 700 BDL in 7mm-08? More than enough for a whitetail out to a couple hundred yards across a corn field if need be with some really good ammunition.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A Model 7 stainless in HS stock w a heavier but fluted bbl.....in 7mm 08 or .243 would be a neat rig.
    I had a lightweight .243 version and saw a black synth .22-250 model w fluted bbl. They just never put one together in what I wanted :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For Indiana deer, I dunno if the possible accuracy advantage of a bolt rig to be a determining factor. My old clunker 760 shoots at an inch w factory ammo at 100 yds. Bone stock trigger too.
    And its trim, offers a fast 2nd shot if needed.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Handle as many rifles in your budget as possible and see which ones fit and feel the best to you. You can pick the caliber from what is available once you select the rifle you like the best. Don't buy the cheapest thing possible, you'll likely regret it later. With some dedicated shopping you can find rifles a tier or two (Tikka T3x or 695, Browning AB-3, Savage 110, Steyr Pro Hunter, Ruger, etc.) above the budget rifles for very little more.

Reactions: Kev

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

You can also get a TC Compass II. They run around $400 or use to. Around 8-8.5lbs with a scope.
    They have several different calibers to choose from, and are guaranteed MOA with match grade ammunition. Check out the features these rifles have.

Now another problem is finding them.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    A .350 legend might be the cheapest way to run these days.
    I do think ARs to be hideous.
    But then to my eye a Contender rifle is kinda cool looking.
    Bbls cost so much now.

Id look at the Winchestwr , what is it? XPR?

Coworker got one and it shoots great.
    350 legend is leading to a lot of walking and lost deer. In and out with slow bleeds. So many better options

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've hunted successfully with lever guns chambered in 44 mag or 45 Colt. Your choice between the two will be influenced by if you reload your own ammo. You can shoot cast bullets in these guns and get plenty of off season practice in for little money. You can also turn the 45 Colt into a powerhouse with the right bullet, rifle combination. I put a 325 grain Lyman cast bullet through a deer lengthwise some years back using a Henry Big Boy.

Seriously consider reloading if you take up either of these calibers, particularly with 45 Colt as the factory ammo is usually not loaded to potential.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom