• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • str8reiter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Hey all -
    I am looking for a good, certified 'smith near Greenwood to quote a fix on a shotgun barrel for me. The previous owner had incorrectly installed a front bead which subsequently "removed itself." The barrel now has an unoccupied, somewhat distorted hole that I'd like patched up. Since that old bead hole looks to have been off-center anyway, I'd like a new bead relocated to a better spot and not just popped into a repaired hole. Hoping to find a close 'smith who can do the job and have it look nicer than I can do in the garage. It's a beautiful, old Mod. 12. Thoughts on a few good options here?
    Thanks a million, folks.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    @AllenM should be able to help, but he's in Avon.

So, the Bubba hole is newish and buggered up and you want it filled?

There should be a factory hole where the factory bead was installed. If Bubba didn't just break the original bead off, you should be able to install a new one in that spot.

Or is your shotgun old enough to have a Polychoke hanging off the end of the barrel and the original bead was removed?

str8reiter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    The empty, threaded hole that’s there is buggered (a bit misshapen with threads a bit stripped) but it’s also off center. At the least, the current hole needs covered up. If a replacement bead were to be added now, I would prefer it be added centered to bore.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Find a nice barrel and replace it. Barrels are out there. Pretty sure " patching " will require some welding, redrilling, and refinishing. You would lose a small amount of choke, but cut the end of the barrel off, recrown and drill a new hole for the bead. Possibly someone makes an oversize bead that would be large enough to fill the hole if just relocating the hole in the correct position.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    The empty, threaded hole that’s there is buggered (a bit misshapen with threads a bit stripped) but it’s also off center. At the least, the current hole needs covered up. If a replacement bead were to be added now, I would prefer it be added centered to bore.
    Redrill oversize with an endmill. Tap to appropriate size. Apply green loctite to a long set screw let dry and mill flush. Now redrill and tap centered for new bead.

str8reiter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Find a nice barrel and replace it. Barrels are out there. Pretty sure " patching " will require some welding, redrilling, and refinishing. You would lose a small amount of choke, but cut the end of the barrel off, recrown and drill a new hole for the bead. Possibly someone makes an oversize bead that would be large enough to fill the hole if just relocating the hole in the correct position.
    Robert - I know it's a bit of work to fill and drill. My concern is that all these old 12's are take downs. I have been unable to find a "replaceable" barrel. I had heard that barrels for these aren't exactly "plug and play" and that's if you can find one. If you know where I can pick one up - that would be great. Probably still need a 'smith to fit it and headspace - which is a thing on these guns (I hear).

str8reiter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    @AllenM should be able to help, but he's in Avon.

So, the Bubba hole is newish and buggered up and you want it filled?

There should be a factory hole where the factory bead was installed. If Bubba didn't just break the original bead off, you should be able to install a new one in that spot.

Or is your shotgun old enough to have a Polychoke hanging off the end of the barrel and the original bead was removed?
    TJ - What is AllenM's gunsmith company called? I might give him a call after all. Thanks.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I thought he closed his shop over there by point blank. He was a good dude.
    • 9600 N County Road 1100 E, French Lick, IN, United States, Indiana
      Dc7-7AgwkwS.png

(317) 557-9705
      2PIcyqpptfD.png

JMGUNSMITHING@AOL.COM

Top Bottom