• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Do you want a ZTR, which will only cut grass, or a garden tractor that will be able to pull carts for mulch, plow your driveway, till your garden, etc.?

If you want a ZTR, I would look into Hustlers over Dixie Choppers. With only an acre, you could get by with a 50" or less deck. Meeting the $2K mark with a Hustler may prove to be difficult.

If you want a tractor, my recommendation would be an old Wheelhorse. I picked mine up for $300, and it has been solid. I've even been offered WAY more than I paid because these are the tractors of choice for competition pulling. I don't do that, but I've pulled many big bushes, stumps, etc. out of the ground with it. I can also pick up different attachments for other duties. I do have a cart, and it is nice to use instead of hucking wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of mulch around my acre lot. I do not have any experience with the newer tractors, so I am no help there.

We 0% 36 month'd a Hustler... Couldn't be happier Cutting about 3.5 acres takes a little over an hour... This thing should outlast me

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I say JD-Branded because, depending on which line/model you get, it may only have a JD sticker & a green/yellow paint scheme. It's just branded a JD but isn't actually made by them.

Absolutely and unequivocally false. John Deere makes all of it's lawn/garden tractors now. The ones you currently see at Lowe$ and Home Depot (D-Series) are made in a different plant than the higher end (X-Series) models, but they are all made by JD.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Couple of questions:
    1) Are you comfortable with a wrench? If you don't mind a little mechanicing, a used, low hour, well maintained John Deere would serve you well. Watch your local CL and also Machinefinder.com
    2) Is the area you mow very hilly? If not, a new JD in the D-Series lineup would serve you well. A D130 is a good place to start. I suggest you go to a JD dealership to test drive one. I don't think HD or Lowe$ will let you do that. In fact, I suggest you test drive several different makes (but certainly anything you are thinking about buying) to see the differences first hand.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Absolutely and unequivocally false. John Deere makes all of it's lawn/garden tractors now. The ones you currently see at Lowe$ and Home Depot (D-Series) are made in a different plant than the higher end (X-Series) models, but they are all made by JD.

I hope you're right!

I have subsequently learned that the JD mowers sold at "box stores" MAY be completely different models than those sold at JD dealers. One example was that there are specific lines built only for Home Depot, and the model numbers of JD products sold at Home Depot don't show up in a model search on the JD website... All done to hit a specific price point.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    If all your wanting to do is mow grass I would buy a zero-turn hands down but I think you will be hard pressed to find any of the ones mentioned worth buying for 2k. I cut commercial for 3 years I started with a dixie chopper RB50 a odd surfer model they made for a while. It was an absolute beast of a mower. I sold it and purchased a BobCat FastCat Pro 60 inch great mower no issues a little under powered with a 23 horse motor. My partner ran a Snapper Pro model very nice mower as someone mentioned built by Simplicity or Ferris. There is no comparisson between cutting grass with a rider vs a zero turn but if you need to pull carts or implements then it might not be the best option.
    I have since sold all my commercial equipment and cut my yard 1.75 acres with a CubCadet RZT 50inch don't laugh this mower has taken a beating and keeps going. It has 15XX hours on it I replaced one drive under warranty we used it to cut all the undesirable properties we used to mow so it hasn't had an easy life. Very very surprised it's lasted as long as it has. Take advantage of one of the 0% offers out there and buy you an entry level ZT you won't regret it. $3200 will put you into a Big Dog "Hustler" 46inch cut 18 horse Kawasaki motor .Southern Indiana Lawn Equipment Inventory

Also look for a nice walk behind you can probably score a nice 48 inch Scag for around 2k, I picked one up 2 years ago of CList for $1800 for a hydro 48 and a 5X8 trailer people buy stuff thinking they are going to mow commercially and never make it and unload pretty cheap.

Last edited:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I have subsequently learned that the JD mowers sold at "box stores" MAY be completely different models than those sold at JD dealers. One example was that there are specific lines built only for Home Depot, and the model numbers of JD products sold at Home Depot don't show up in a model search on the JD website... All done to hit a specific price point.

Again, absolutely untrue. ALL JD mowers found at the box stores are the EXACT same models found at JD dealerships. These D-Series mowers are made in a JD plant in Greeneville Tennessee. No differentiation is made between LTs going to the box stores and those going to dealers.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Bought a brand new JD 8 yrs ago. Although I've had no mechanical problems, it won't mulch worth 2 cents. You get much leaf surface at all and it leaves clumps of grass on the lawn.

Poor deck design. NOT recommended.

My previous Snapper would mulch an incredible amount of grass and leaves. The JD - not so much.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    When I worked outside lawn and garden at Lowes for 3 years, we had to go to an all day training class for products we sold.

This is back when Lowes started to carry JD. JD sent a rep and told us that they are all built in the same places, but not created equal. The big box stores order the cheaper tractors to compete with the MTD brands. So you are still getting a JD, but you are getting what you pay for.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    get on Craigslist and find a Dixie in good shape. Parts are easy to find, they perform well, and are, best of all, from and manufactured right here in Indiana!!!

Perform well on flat land like they have up north. Forget about hills with a DC. Buy a Scag.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    When I worked outside lawn and garden at Lowes for 3 years, we had to go to an all day training class for products we sold.

This is back when Lowes started to carry JD. JD sent a rep and told us that they are all built in the same places, but not created equal. The big box stores order the cheaper tractors to compete with the MTD brands. So you are still getting a JD, but you are getting what you pay for.

The D105, D110, S120, D130, D140, D160 and D170 that you find at Lowe$ and HD are EXACTLY the same as those models you find at a John Deere Dealership. They all have the exact same warranty and are all serviced in exactly the same place - the John Deere dealership. Are they the same as the higher end (re: more expensive) Select (X3xx and X5xx) lines and the Signature (X7xx) lines, that cost up to 6 times as much as the bottom end D105? No. Of course not.

These misconceptions/rumors are about like the rumors about the lifetime LTCH going away and the IN ccw permit - prevalent and completely untrue.

I've owned 3 JDs over the past 4 years. I realize that isn't a lot of experience, but I've studied their lines excessively during that time. I've also participated extensively in a John Deere forum that entire time. I can quote you the specs on almost every tractor in the X3xx, X5xx and X7xx lines. Initially, I bought a mid-level 2009 X320. About a year ago, I upgraded to a 2004 X485SE, which is the equivalent to a current X730. The only options my X485SE doesn't have are rear PTO, 4WD, AWS and diesel engine. I also own a 1988 JD 318, arguably the greatest garden tractor ever made.

Bottom line - when carefully selected to suit your wants, needs and requirements, and properly maintained, JD makes an excellent tractor that will last for years and years. Check out Consumer Reports. Even after a recall, they have good things to say about JD. Can you still trust John Deere?

P.S. I do not work for JD or have any other affiliation other than by owning their products. But I could absolutely sell them. I believe in them that much.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The D105, D110, S120, D130, D140, D160 and D170 that you find at Lowe$ and HD are EXACTLY the same as those models you find at a John Deere Dealership. They all have the exact same warranty and are all serviced in exactly the same place - the John Deere dealership. Are they the same as the higher end (re: more expensive) Select (X3xx and X5xx) lines and the Signature (X7xx) lines, that cost up to 6 times as much as the bottom end D105? No. Of course not.

These misconceptions/rumors are about like the rumors about the lifetime LTCH going away and the IN ccw permit - prevalent and completely untrue.

I've owned 3 JDs over the past 4 years. I realize that isn't a lot of experience, but I've studied their lines excessively during that time. I've also participated extensively in a John Deere forum that entire time. I can quote you the specs on almost every tractor in the X3xx, X5xx and X7xx lines. Initially, I bought a mid-level 2009 X320. About a year ago, I upgraded to a 2004 X485SE, which is the equivalent to a current X730. The only options my X485SE doesn't have are rear PTO, 4WD, AWS and diesel engine. I also own a 1988 JD 318, arguably the greatest garden tractor ever made.

Bottom line - when carefully selected to suit your wants, needs and requirements, and properly maintained, JD makes an excellent tractor that will last for years and years. Check out Consumer Reports. Even after a recall, they have good things to say about JD. Can you still trust John Deere?

P.S. I do not work for JD or have any other affiliation other than by owning their products. But I could absolutely sell them. I believe in them that much.

As for the bolded, I would have to agree. At least in that size of garden tractor. Family members had them and our Wheel Horses didn't even compare. My grandma replace her 318 with a newer "equivelant" 335 or 345. It wasn't half the tractor as the 318.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    As for the bolded, I would have to agree. At least in that size of garden tractor. Family members had them and our Wheel Horses didn't even compare. My grandma replace her 318 with a newer "equivelant" 335 or 345. It wasn't half the tractor as the 318.

The 335/345 were nice GTs, but not the same class as the 318 IMHO. Now I'm not one to dis the 318. But mow once with it, then once with my X485SE, and you'll never want to get back on the 318. The 318 was/is a true workhorse. But the newer GTs have so many more creature comforts that there's no comparison - comfort wise.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The 335/345 were nice GTs, but not the same class as the 318 IMHO. Now I'm not one to dis the 318. But mow once with it, then once with my X485SE, and you'll never want to get back on the 318. The 318 was/is a true workhorse. But the newer GTs have so many more creature comforts that there's no comparison - comfort wise.

The 335 or 345 my grandma had would flex when one tire went into a hole.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Check out the Wright Stander. This is my favorite commercial mower. I have used exmark, dixie, cub cadet, and scag, and I like the Wright the best. This was mostly commercial landscaping, but we did a fair amount of home lots as well. They might be above your budget, but they are WELL worth it. Might be able to find a used one closer to the $2k mark.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The market has split into two camps: expensive commercial mowers built like tanks and big-box store mowers branded by major brands (but made by someone else) and made of pretty poor quality.

I've not yet found any riding mower at a local big box store that I thought was worth the price. The commercial ones are big $$, but might be an even better value.

I would be used commercial. Yes, the business dumped them for a reason, but you can get parts for those commercial mowers better than the throwaway new ones at most major retailers. I'd rather buy a well-worn commercial mower with 2K hours on it than a brand new big box mower for the same money.

Top Bottom