Recommend me a backpack that's not a piece of CRAP!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cmustang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Indy
    Ok doesn't reeeeally have to be end of the world proof, but seriously every backpack I buy no matter how nice it looks how many molle pouches etc it has seems to be ***** quality?!?! What backpack out there has great holding capacity, and excellent durability....mine are ripping seams, zippers falling off etc etc and this is just casual back and fourth to the trunk and/or range etc. I will admit I haven't dove into the name brands I.E Oakley, north face, Blackhawk etc, is that my misstep? Here are my needs any links and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

1. Durability/Strength - this has been the biggest problem and if it doesn't hold up for everyday use around here it sure as heck is gonna fall apart on me out in the field.
    2. Holding capacity - this is my 3-5 day pack so there needs to be good holding power for water, shelter, fire, supplies, and weapon components
    3. Flexibility - Molle capability is preferred so the bag is adaptable in shtf situations but it falls third place to the previous 2 requirements
    4. Security - (as in rock solid mounting stability to the user).... Shoulder straps and cross strap for stability preferred

H E L P!!!

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm happy with my Oakley Panel pack. I use it as a carry on for flights, 1-3 day trips, and occasionally I'll take it to the range. Very happy with the quality. I would recommend Oakley products if you find one that fits your needs.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    IndyJohn has some MilSurp bags in the classified section that are very rugged if you don't mind the camo pattern on your pack. We went thru several packs that couldn't handle the wear and tear and have found that we just can't beat what the military issues. I think he has a few of the older styles that he could let go for a song and give you a chance to try one out without having to commit a lot of cash to the effort.

Cmustang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Indy
    IndyJohn has some MilSurp bags in the classified section that are very rugged if you don't mind the camo pattern on your pack. We went thru several packs that couldn't handle the wear and tear and have found that we just can't beat what the military issues. I think he has a few of the older styles that he could let go for a song and give you a chance to try one out without having to commit a lot of cash to the effort.

ill check him out thanks

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you can find an old Dana Designs Terraplane, it'll probably be the last large backpack you'll ever buy. If you want something new, you might try Mystery Ranch.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I will say that specops stuff above is well built and I think they have a lifetime warranty.

I was going to recommend Kelty. They had a line of "tactical" packs. I picked up a falcon which might be bigger than your wants. There are threads on it on here somewhere. But they made a more assault pack size also. I'll do some looking for the size name.

Edit: ok Kelty Raven quick search found on amazon for 180. Also look at Kelty Redwing 50 it doesn't have molle, but comes in a tanish color and a green but has all your other reqs and is on amazon for $90 or less depending on color.

Edit again: I also use a 5.11 MOAB 10 for EDC but that is prob to small. It has held up very well coming up on a year and I would be their bigger bag would too.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Hadn't heard if them until ur response they get a tin of 5 star reviews found this one on optics planet, what model is yours?
    Reviews for Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack w/ Reservoir Hang-Tab - Black 0513B - View or add your review!
    I carry a Fatboy as a purse and we have 2 Colossus bags.

I don't have any of the larger bags, but I really want a reason to need to carry the messenger bag. I saw a review on youtube for that and I was in love. We'll be getting a large duffel-style bag for my son's tae kwon do gear in the near future. Kinda hoping they have a BOGO sale sooner rather than later and that the bag we want qualifies. I don't have any of the backpacks, but the bag style is just a design element. All of their gear is made with the same durable materials. They rank about a $$ or $$$ based on a $-$$$$$ scale, depending on the model, but I think you could carry one for YEARS.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    My spec ops pack has lasted 4 years of HEAVY USE...2 deployments, 3 work ups, all as an infantryman. It is leaps and bounds ahead of many of the other packs i tried. The pocket lay out is simple, there arent tons of features...but the features there are the ones you want and use.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have you tried Maxpedition? I have several of their pieces and they are solid.

Just avoid anything that bears the tag "EDC". Thats their way of saying "same as regular, but with cheaper, lighter materials".

My wife and I also have several of their bags (Jumbos) and LOVE them. They arent cheap but also arent unreasonable.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not meaning to be disrespectful, but I see lots of kids getting on the school bus every day with backpacks. Some of those are loaded pretty darn heavy. They seem to last the entire school year and beyond. I think most of them are from Wal-Mart. None of them are labeled "tactical" however.

I carry my essentials in a similar one......

Cmustang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Indy
    Not meaning to be disrespectful, but I see lots of kids getting on the school bus every day with backpacks. Some of those are loaded pretty darn heavy. They seem to last the entire school year and beyond. I think most of them are from Wal-Mart. None of them are labeled "tactical" however.

I carry my essentials in a similar one......

Not interested in the hello kitty or batman stuf...lol but seriously those kids are carrying beats headphones their iPad and a couple books not exactly dependable up to 50-60 lbs :)

Top Bottom