Recommend me a backpack that's not a piece of CRAP!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes! That is if you have North of $300 to spend..
    No knock on you rh4. Their packs are cool but they are mighty proud of their stuff.

I prob should have clarified price range.... Definitely sub $200 preferred!

Yeah, well, you want quality, you pay for quality. You want to support domestic manufacturers, you pay more because it costs more to produce stuff in this country.

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine. For 12 years I owned a company that made some of the toughest packs you can find anywhere and I dealt with this comment about price all of the time. Quality fabric and hardware costs more. Paying attention to stress point design adds time to construction. Tighter stitching that won't rip out or unravel takes more time. These things don't lend themselves well to sweatshop construction in a country where the fabric mill is right down the road. Selling something at a wholesale price low enough so that the 3-4 middlemen can all make their profit is very difficult unless you want to skimp on durability. Add to that that many people who want packs want ones that are light weight which also doesn't lend itself to lower expense as durable light fabrics cost even more.

Rant off. I own a Kelty Raven 41 pack that I got on sale for a reasonably low price that meets my quality standards for what I paid for it.

Last edited:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Don't know if Oakley has anythingnyou are interested in but I would recommend them. I have a Oakley Kitchen Sink and have used it for going on 5 years now. I am a college student and use it to carry books almost every day. It has one little hole on the bottom leather from carrying some live tooling for a machine (100-120lbs). Sharp square corner of the tool poked a small hole. that happened over a year ago and the hole hasn't gotten any bigger. I also use it alot when riding my motorcycles. It is water proof which is very important to me when carrying a laptop and way over priced college book.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I have personally seen SwissGear packs held up under approximately fifty pound loads almost daily for 5+ years.
    You could also go leather. Expensive but talk about something that will last indefinitely.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I'll jump on the Maxpedition wagon... My daughter and I both carry the Jumbo for our murse/purse (respectively) everyday for over a year, no appreciable wear thus far. My brother has the same and has had his about a year longer, also no appreciable wear. On the less tacticool side, Kelty and Mountainsmith make extremely durable, comfortable packs.

I'd suggest looking at the clearance areas in Gander Mtn, as well as online at Cabela's Bargain Cave. Cousin bought a $440 Gregory Mountain - Denali 95 (last years model) for $119 at Gander last Friday. YMMV

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    +1 for Maxpedition

I have a Vulture II that I really like. But I will admit that I am not as hard on it as others are on theirs. Mine is more of a camping/range bag.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'd recommend something from IndyJohn or a large ALICE pack. I know it's not MOLLE but they are bomb proof for the most part.

I actually have Large Alice packs for cheap, I just haven't listed them yet. They are complete and in excellent condition.

As for the Keltys, unfortunately I've decided to liquidate what I have because they are built in the South Pacific.. (didn't know that until I started looking closer)...

Cmustang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Indy
    I actually have Large Alice packs for cheap, I just haven't listed them yet. They are complete and in excellent condition.

As for the Keltys, unfortunately I've decided to liquidate what I have because they are built in the South Pacific.. (didn't know that until I started looking closer)...

U got links/pics prices on the large Alice?

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    +1 for swissgear. I have used these for 7 years and am on #3, which is the best quality bag so far and it has held up for over 3 years so far and no issues. Couldn't be happier with it.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm on the Maxpedition band wagon as well. I have one of their bags, the Versipack Jumbo EDC, and I love it. I originally got it for when I take my nephew out to the zoo or what have you, decided to turn it into a range bag. I'm trying to find a couple less expensive ones, specifically the Mongo, but have had no luck yet.

So +1 more for Maxpedition.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    +1 for swissgear. I have used these for 7 years and am on #3, which is the best quality bag so far and it has held up for over 3 years so far and no issues. Couldn't be happier with it.
    Swissgear bags are okay, but I've had mine for just a few months and the zipper fell off. :( I was able to put it back on, but for what I paid for it, it should have never happened.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have a SOC (Sandpiper of California) bag that holds a lot and seems to be holding up well. They have several sizes and patterns. It has plenty of pockets for organizing gear, waist straps, chest strap, molle webbing and is expandable.

For treks I carry a much lighter backpack that is probably less durable but ounces count on a trek.

Top Bottom