• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    My grandmother finally thought I'm old enough and responsible enough to finally get my grandfather WWII Walther P.38. Funny, cause I'm pushing 30, but that besides the point. It is a WWII gun, has the matching paperwork signed by my grandfathers CO. Its definately in kinda rough shape, and needs to be worked on and cleaned.

Is there a trustworthy gunsmith that is qualified to work on these? I wont get any work doen on it until mid-next year, im just trying to gather some info at the moment. I'm not sure if I want to get if refinished or not, but it needs some work to bring it up to firing order. I know its not that rare, but still worth a descent a out, it has more sentimental value than anything else. Also, does any know how to track down where it went during WWII, I've found month/year/location of manufacturing, but it would be interesting to see the lifespan of this weapon before my grandfather took it from the German captain, I believe.

album.php

Best picture I have at the moment... Thanks!

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My grandmother finally thought I'm old enough and responsible enough to finally get my grandfather WWII Walther P.38. Funny, cause I'm pushing 30, but that besides the point. It is a WWII gun, has the matching paperwork signed by my grandfathers CO. Its definately in kinda rough shape, and needs to be worked on and cleaned.

Is there a trustworthy gunsmith that is qualified to work on these? I wont get any work doen on it until mid-next year, im just trying to gather some info at the moment. I'm not sure if I want to get if refinished or not, but it needs some work to bring it up to firing order. I know its not that rare, but still worth a descent a out, it has more sentimental value than anything else. Also, does any know how to track down where it went during WWII, I've found month/year/location of manufacturing, but it would be interesting to see the lifespan of this weapon before my grandfather took it from the German captain, I believe.

picture.php

Best picture I have at the moment... Thanks!

You won't want to get it "refinished" but cleaned up. You can do it yourself with fine brass wool and olive oil. What is rare is that you have provenance with the paperwork and that makes if worth a lot more.

The P38 was a great weapon and a replacement for the aging Lugar design.

I, like you, would not care as much about that as I would the sentimental value. My uncle brought back an MP40, a Lugar and an Heer daggar. I have the dagger but my cousin sold the Lugar and MP40, which I would have never done if it were my father.

You are lucky to get that and I am envious.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have a P38, great pistol. Many pistols today owe something to it! I have a pair of Nazi binoculars my uncle took off an German officer he shot on Dday. I will never let them go, clean up the Walther and cherish it!

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    It definately has alot of sentimental value. I was shocked to find the paperwork was still in the original holster, and the holster has the Germans name in it, and a very faded nazi stamp inside it. While I might not refinish it, I do need it looked at and possibly repaired by a gunsmith, as I can tell from dryfireing, it not running properly. Once I get it shootable, then it'll probably be locked up as a safe queen. But I'd like to be able to shoot it...

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    Please do not refinish it ! OK if it has some active rust on it use a little oil and some very fine steal wool and carefully go over the rust area only then wipe the gun down with the oil and only remove enough to keep it from being wet. I would also recomend keeping the papers in something that would keep them protected as well.
    Oh yeah post some pictures Lets see it !!

manygunsmike

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you do shoot it and find you want to shoot it a lot, then consider getting a surplus post-war model. They can be picked up for under $400.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    It definately has alot of sentimental value. I was shocked to find the paperwork was still in the original holster, and the holster has the Germans name in it, and a very faded nazi stamp inside it. While I might not refinish it, I do need it looked at and possibly repaired by a gunsmith, as I can tell from dryfireing, it not running properly. Once I get it shootable, then it'll probably be locked up as a safe queen. But I'd like to be able to shoot it...

I don't blame you a bit, I would get it working as well. :yesway:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Definitely not an EDC ;) Clean it up, maybe get it fireable, run a mag through for your Grandpa, and put it in the safe. I'd preserve the paperwork, and even consider building or buying a presentation type case for it. Hopefully your grandchildren can appreciate it. (What kind of jackass sells an MP40?) Hint: I remember pushing 30. It doesn't push back hard enough, and you'll go straight through.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Definitely not an EDC ;) Clean it up, maybe get it fireable, run a mag through for your Grandpa, and put it in the safe. I'd preserve the paperwork, and even consider building or buying a presentation type case for it. Hopefully your grandchildren can appreciate it. (What kind of jackass sells an MP40?) Hint: I remember pushing 30. It doesn't push back hard enough, and you'll go straight through.

A dick would sell an MP40 and my cousin is certainly a piece of work. My uncle won a Silver Star during the battle of the bulge and went through hell. His kids are all ingrates but then they were spoiled, which happened to a lot of the next generation.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    A dick would sell an MP40 and my cousin is certainly a piece of work. My uncle won a Silver Star during the battle of the bulge and went through hell. His kids are all ingrates but then they were spoiled, which happened to a lot of the next generation.

My aunt sold my Uncle's long guns(which included 3 from WWII) for a new roof on her house, she kept his pistols though. People do crazy things sometimes sadly.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    What's wrong with the P38? Don't be afraid to take some time and try to work on it yourself. Here's a pic of two of my P38s...both of them AC44s. On one of them the trigger and decocker weren't playing together...and it luckily was a real quick fix. While you're taking your gun down you can really get in there and give it a good cleaning.
    IMG_20110416_224033.jpg

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Very nice gun. I would probably have the whole thing, paperwork and gun, put into a nice presentation case. It would make a nice tribute to your grandfather. Best of luck with getting it clean and usable.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Very nice gun. I would probably have the whole thing, paperwork and gun, put into a nice presentation case. It would make a nice tribute to your grandfather. Best of luck with getting it clean and usable.

That sounds really cool. Once I get it all fixed up and hopefully find extra info on it, I very well may do that. Thanks for the idea!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    As far as the paper work goes, maybe get it framed to preserve it. Just inherited a print from my Aunt. Went to have it re-framed and found out that it wasn't framed in acid free paper and was fading.Also use special glass to stop UV rays form fading it out too, best way to keep it from aging. Real cool story, what does the papers say BTW.

Top Bottom