• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    So I've been think about getting a 9mm Shield for a while. While in my LGS looking around I find a used one at a good price. Seems to have little use and and LNIB. I go ahead and get it.

I did not dry fire in the store so I'm checking it out at home. THIS TRIGGER SUCKS! Heard so many good things about them. Nothing like my MP9 stock trigger that I actually like.

I buy a Lyman digital trigger gauge and it measures 10+#. WTH! Then I see this on the box.

option 1
    I guess I will be purchasing an Apex Carry kit unless there is a better option. Looking at the video seems to be an easy install. I will have to get a sight pusher it looks like.

option 2
    Does anyone near indy stock and install these? IMG_1526.jpg

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I would say it is your fault for not reading the label and not dry firing the gun before hand.

Why not just replace whatever parts make a heavy trigger and go back to factory specs. Seems like you got the new York version.

I can't justify spending over 100 dollars on a trigger system for a 400 dollar gun that won't really improve it much.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    I fully understand it's my fault, that's why i mentioned I didn't dry fire in the store. It was only $350 OTD with taxes. The Apex carry kit is less than $100 and will reduce trigger pull almost 50%

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Do you think the difference is only one spring? That would be a very simple fix if so

More than likely. It should be the spring that's shaped like a funnel. Give Smith a call this week and ask them. They've been very good about getting me the few parts I've been after. I wanted to purchase a few spare parts to have on hand along with a new slide stop that had the hump in it to help with trigger reset. They asked if something was wrong or broken. I told them no but I wanted the newer stop since the Pro I had came with the old one. The other couple things were just spares in case of emergency. I wanted a rod for the grip that holds the panel in place, a finger extension mag plate for a compact to replace the flat one, and a small backstrap for the Pro (with the more aggressive texture) since the one that came with the gun had gotten squashed and left a gap when installed. They wanted to verify the SN of the Pro to make sure I really had one (they are protective of those backstraps). After that I asked them how much it was. They told me not to worry about it and asked for my address. Even upon my insistence of paying for the spare parts they would not take payment.

Just call them up and tell them that was the only one you could find in stock and ask what it takes to get it back down to normal. If for some reason they don't want to play ball then there are a couple of places that sell factory parts. Here is one.

Accessories for Smith & Wesson : Welcome to Speed Shooter Specialties

Edit:
    Okay, now that I look at Speedshooters a bit closer again it looks like the trigger bar is different as well. They have a standard trigger bar and spring for $17.25. (What I had posted earlier was for the regular M&P, not the shield. I looked at the wrong section.)

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm assuming that installing an Apex kit will fix the problem, though you might want to hit the S&W forums to verify. If so, I just recommended that a buddy of mine have the Apex FSS trigger kit installed in his Shield and I got to shoot it yesterday. The trigger is now awesome. It was close to $180 or so installed, but well worth it. Even the DCAEK is much better than the stock trigger. I've used mine for 2 years and have gotten to the point where I'm very accurate with it, but I'm still considering having one of the Apex kits installed. Yeah, it's expensive to add a nice trigger kit and upgrade the sights (which I also recommend), but when done you end up with a very nice gun that's fantastic for CC.

EDIT: to explain, the stock trigger, even if you get the NY compliant trigger down to the weight of the standard stock trigger, still sucks. While lighter, it's not that good of a trigger. That's why I recommend just getting an Apex kit installed, as that should fix the weight issue and you'll end up with a much better trigger afterwards.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    The Ruger LC9s has a really nice trigger and they are usually priced lower than the Shields. I tried a lot of 9mm single stacks before buying and the LC9s is by far a better trigger than all the rest. I would either sell the Shield and get a LC9s, or if the shield is what you want spend the money and get a better trigger for it.

mistersmith

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    NWI
    10# spring seems a little heavy to me, I would change it to a lighter spring and see if that helps. I would hate to have to spend 100 dollars on a new trigger. Good luck hope it works out for you.

rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Don't waste your money on buying an apex trigger follow these instructions to the letter and you will be happy http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf. I recently bought a Sheild a few weeks ago and would safely say the trigger pull was 8+ pounds. I followed these instructions and now the trigger is right around 3 lbs. Took firearm to range and performed flawlessly. I was apprehensive about removing metal from the sear but took my time and everything turned out fine and I couldn't be happier now.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm assuming that installing an Apex kit will fix the problem, though you might want to hit the S&W forums to verify. If so, I just recommended that a buddy of mine have the Apex FSS trigger kit installed in his Shield and I got to shoot it yesterday. The trigger is now awesome. It was close to $180 or so installed, but well worth it. Even the DCAEK is much better than the stock trigger. I've used mine for 2 years and have gotten to the point where I'm very accurate with it, but I'm still considering having one of the Apex kits installed. Yeah, it's expensive to add a nice trigger kit and upgrade the sights (which I also recommend), but when done you end up with a very nice gun that's fantastic for CC.

EDIT: to explain, the stock trigger, even if you get the NY compliant trigger down to the weight of the standard stock trigger, still sucks. While lighter, it's not that good of a trigger. That's why I recommend just getting an Apex kit installed, as that should fix the weight issue and you'll end up with a much better trigger afterwards.

Best advice given so far!

I have had a Shield in 40 S&W for a couple years with Apex trigger kit installed. It was a game changer for me.
    I would have probably never changed the trigger in it if I hadn't been at the range and tried another guys Shield with an Apex trigger installed.

I was just like the guys that are saying it won't help or it's a lot of money, until I tried one.

Put in the Apex trigger, add a good set of night sights and don't look back. Your love for the gun and the practice groups will get better right away.

Top Bottom