• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Its interesting how someone that has never __________, nor knows nothing of ____________, Think they know so much about _______.

I'm not trying to insult or argue with you, seriously I'm not. But you asked why it seems like I post angrily. It seems you can understand my point of view when it's you suffering false assumptions or simply bad information.

I don't claim to be above average intelligence and I'm sure not as wise as my grandparents were by this age. Knowing that, I try to look at every situation from the perspective of exactly how much actual knowledge or experience I have on the subject. Once I establish that I form an opinion which the vast majority of the time ends up being "I don't have enough information to form an educated opinion".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see a lot of responses posted in a fashion to get a response not just a question looking to be answered.
    I read a lot in here. A lot and I see into all of you guys and what you are doing. And mostly respect on my part.

Now that said I will shut this down for the night. I don't want to because I have to write myself a note to open it (or not) in the morning.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We’ve talked about how it’s a matter of encounters. If there’s no encounter you’re not gonna get shot by police no matter your race. This is at least one of those. Not only was he responsible for that encounter, he was also responsible for escalating things to the point where weapons became a part of the encounter.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The media and the SJW/BLM just want to focus on the fact that he had three young girls and now they don't have their daddy no more. Real daddies who care about their kids don't risk all of that by being drunk and stupid and fighting with cops and stealing their tasers and trying to use it against them.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The media and the SJW/BLM just want to focus on the fact that he had three young girls and now they don't have their daddy no more. Real daddies who care about their kids don't risk all of that by being drunk and stupid and fighting with cops and stealing their tasers and trying to use it against them.

But that's where the modern SJW liberal mindset deviates significantly from how you and I were raised. The modern SJW mindset does not ever believe a child should be allowed to suffer from the decisions of their parents, whereas you and I (I'm assuming) came from a generation where it was just a basic assumption of life that the choices of the parents carried down in some way to the kids. And that was life, and if you cultivated the right attitude about it, it could actually be a character-builder.

That is all out the window. Today's SJWs belive The System must produce a good outcome for every child. If the system envisages the possibility of a bad outcome for an individual child, then the system is not worth a **** and must be thrown overboard immediately, bathwater and all.

A surprising number of otherwise right-leaning people have bought into this as well. It's actually a crack in the foundation of conservatism, viewed properly. "It's for the children" can be used to justify literally any government action or program. It just requires the right context.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just watched about 1-1/2 hours of body cam video, and the video taken by witnesses. None showed the shooting, but did show everything up to a couple seconds before shots fired. I don’t know if it was a good shoot. But I’m less inclined to think it was a bad one.

The taser sound happened just before the gun shots. So close together that I think the officer may have committed to shooting before the taser was fired.

One other observation. Are there any fit police officers in Atlanta? ~90 minutes of video including after the shooting and not one cop who looked fit. Most were overweight.

Typically if you make it out of the academy you're good. I don't know of that many departments in general that have annual PT tests, I know of one that conducts one but it's voluntary for a little bonus. Annual PT tests and height/weight requirements (and now grooming standards) seem to be one part of the military LE said no thanks to lol. But even in the military you have those that look out of shape and skate by the requirements (look at some of the NG pics from the protests) and in the end it's up to the individual to maintain their own fitness you can't do it for them. At the same time don't judge a book by it's cover, i've known many that look overweight but can actually run amazingly fast. I can't imagine trying to chase after someone with all the crap you see a typical patrolman carrying now. Like a lot of jobs law enforcement can be quite sedentary as well.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I'm not trying to insult or argue with you, seriously I'm not. But you asked why it seems like I post angrily. It seems you can understand my point of view when it's you suffering false assumptions or simply bad information.

I don't claim to be above average intelligence and I'm sure not as wise as my grandparents were by this age. Knowing that, I try to look at every situation from the perspective of exactly how much actual knowledge or experience I have on the subject. Once I establish that I form an opinion which the vast majority of the time ends up being "I don't have enough information to form an educated opinion".

Thanks, I was trying to have a discussion myself, along with not trying to be argumentative or insult anyone... I just don't agree..
    I'm still out of this thread.. :yesway:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Really the "fat" comment was just to add some levity to the discussion. But there were some very chunky cops.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks, I was trying to have a discussion myself, along with not trying to be argumentative or insult anyone... I just don't agree..
    I'm still out of this thread.. :yesway:

No you aren't.....^^^^^^^^^^^.....:lmfao:

We all see these things through our lifes experiences. And none of ours are the same.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just bringing the conversation back here from the other thread:

It looks to me like he fired the taser off wildly before the officers drew and fired their pistols. Definitely hard to say for sure from the videos that I have seen, especially without sound on the surveillance camera.

I'm glad that I'm not one of the officers or jurors.

I don't have the link handy right now but you can easily find a 90 minute body cam video of the incident. Unfortunately it does not show video of the whole thing because the camera got knocked off during the fight. But the audio is there. Also there's other video taken by witnesses which also does not show the actual shooting, but does have audio. You can hear the taser and then you can hear the gunshots less than a second after. I seriously doubt the officer's decision was because the guy fired the taser. Putting the video you linked with the audio from other videos, it seems to me that he was reacting to the guy turning with the taser in hand.

Even seeing the video you posted, I'm still at the place where I don't know that I'd say it's a good shoot, but I can't say it's a bad one either. It was at least a judgement call that could have gone better. I don't see anything yet that makes me think this should be charged as a crime.

One thing is certain, after seeing that body cam video any attempt to paint him as a "racist" is bull****. Lot's of black officers coming to him to make sure he's okay. They regard him as "brother" as he obviously regards them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Again from the other thread.

In hindsight....the officers lost the wrestling match. The guy is running away. They have his ID. They have his car.

There wasn't a need to chase him.

I'd still haven't heard about active warrants which might make me change my mind.

Not a good shoot, imho.

Yeah. I definitely think a better decision could have been made. I think a reason to chase him might have been because he was drunk and had the cop's taser. Definitely a public safety concern. That's the problem with split second decisions. In hindsight....we have time to think about all the possible outcomes and pick one that would have been better. He had to pack together all the information forming in real time to make a decision inside a second. Maybe police policy around chasing people should change. But it doesn't look to me like the officer violated policy.

There weren't any active warrants. At least none that those cops were aware of at the time. I strongly recommend watching the body cam video. It's boring to get through all 90 or so minutes of it. You can skip through the parts where he's not talking to anyone. But it really does tell a lot of the story that isn't told in the media or internet forums. I feel bad for the cops involved and Brook's family. I hope we can all agree that the worst decision stream made that night was the decision to fight the cops, steal a taser, run, and then try to shoot a cop with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just bringing the conversation back here from the other thread:

I don't have the link handy right now but you can easily find a 90 minute body cam video of the incident. Unfortunately it does not show video of the whole thing because the camera got knocked off during the fight. But the audio is there. Also there's other video taken by witnesses which also does not show the actual shooting, but does have audio. You can hear the taser and then you can hear the gunshots less than a second after. I seriously doubt the officer's decision was because the guy fired the taser. Putting the video you linked with the audio from other videos, it seems to me that he was reacting to the guy turning with the taser in hand.

Even seeing the video you posted, I'm still at the place where I don't know that I'd say it's a good shoot, but I can't say it's a bad one either. It was at least a judgement call that could have gone better. I don't see anything yet that makes me think this should be charged as a crime.

One thing is certain, after seeing that body cam video any attempt to paint him as a "racist" is bull****. Lot's of black officers coming to him to make sure he's okay. They regard him as "brother" as he obviously regards them.

OK. Lots has been said. Opinions have been shared and discussed at length.

Question....and lets be real in our answers...……
    1...how many of you people have been in a fist fight.
    2....how many have been in a "REAL" fist fight that resulted in the level of anger and involvement we saw in the video sans it being a LEO/citizen encounter. I am talking about a real fist fight that someone wanted to pound you into the ground...….How many. I have a good idea and from the statements made you are obviously non-combatant types. No knock in this. We are all who/what we are.

3....How many can with any real sense of reality put yourself in that officers shoes. Been in a real fight and actually faced a weapon of any kind being pointed at you with intent.

I am thinking the number will be very low.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I find it amazing how people think they can do a bunch of stupid and or violent things and expect others to respond without error.

Fight a guy w a gun, then grab something off his belt ( where a gun is also kept ).

Im betting that amped up the cop and to go from120 mph to school zone speed right after......aint easy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I find it amazing how people think they can do a bunch of stupid and or violent things and expect others to respond without error.

Fight a guy w a gun, then grab something off his belt ( where a gun is also kept ).

Im betting that amped up the cop and to go from120 mph to school zone speed right after......aint easy.

This is my point. Not calling people out for who or what they are. Just saying if you have never even been in a serious fight then you have zero idea what this does to you. I know exactly what it does to me. And it aint fun on any level. Before we get to critical here know of what you speak.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One also has to think of context, maybe the officer hasn't had much fighting on the job.
    Maybe he had a life and death struggle in the past, or recently.
    Dunno.
    Lots of stuff can be factors in why things happen.
    And camera may not be fully telling.

I dunno, I try to avoid cops, lawyers and divorced women.

Top Bottom