• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a Springfield Loaded V-12 circa 2000. It's a great gun, very soft shooter and I've done a number of good mods to it (S&A magwell, C&S short solid aluminum trigger, Harrison solid rear sight, ergo grips). However...I have the itch for a railed 1911, and finances being what they are, I would have to sell off the V12 to afford a rail gun.

So the question is, since it's rare, should I just hold on to it? And if I sold it, what do you all think a decent price would be? Most shops I've gone to have no idea what to offer for it since they usually haven't seen one before (although I would way rather sell private party, trade ins screw you on value), and I've watched them go on gunbroker for anywhere from $700-$1100. Thoughts?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Rare and collectible are 2 different things. I don't see it ever being a highly sought after collectors piece. I would try to sell it, if you must, and put money toward one that makes you happy.

I am looking at a rare Springfield right now, only ever seen a couple like it. It's sitting in pieces on my desk waiting to have a Bridgeport taken to it. It's marked compact on the slide, has an aluminum frame, and has a 1/2 compensator on the end of the barrel. At some point, someone stripped the factory finish off the frame to give it a 2 tone look, destroying any collectible value. I am going to cut off the compensator, doctor up the frame a little and try to get close to shooting as good as my CDPII Kimber.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Rare and collectible are 2 different things. I don't see it ever being a highly sought after collectors piece. I would try to sell it, if you must, and put money toward one that makes you happy.

I am looking at a rare Springfield right now, only ever seen a couple like it. It's sitting in pieces on my desk waiting to have a Bridgeport taken to it. It's marked compact on the slide, has an aluminum frame, and has a 1/2 compensator on the end of the barrel. At some point, someone stripped the factory finish off the frame to give it a 2 tone look, destroying any collectible value. I am going to cut off the compensator, doctor up the frame a little and try to get close to shooting as good as my CDPII Kimber.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. I would love to turn the gun into a full on custom job from Springfield's Custom Shop, but not only would that ruin any rare/collector value...and it would also cost a ton.

I've also seen the model you have before. Quite rare indeed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You asked generally for thoughts, so here's mine. :)

I am squarely in the camp of never selling guns. Unless it is a situation where the money is necessary for my family to survive, I just can't envision selling a firearm that I own. If you're like me, and it seems like we are similar in that you've spent some time making the gun "your own," there's an emotional connection.

Yes, it is just a thing. A tool. (But, I'm rather protective of my tools, too.) :) And, like I said, people are more important than things. But, these are rather high priority things, to me. :)

Now, I know a guy who has alot of firearms - some he collects and will never part with, and others are more like investments. If I ever have the disposable income to do that kind of investing, maybe my sentiment will shift.

But, unless you bought this to re-sell for some sort of profit, I'd say hang onto it and save your pennies for another one that you want.

Good luck!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

I am squarely in the camp of never selling guns. Unless it is a situation where the money is necessary for my family to survive, I just can't envision selling a firearm that I own. If you're like me, and it seems like we are similar in that you've spent some time making the gun "your own," there's an emotional connection.

I used be 100% like this. But as I have acquired a few more guns, the emotional attachment goes down. There are still many guns that I will not part with, but if I end up with one that doesn't make me happy, I either doctor it up until it does, or get rid of it.

This is kinda what my SA looks like...
    Carry45ACPsm.jpg

After I bought my Kimber, I didn't enjoy shooting it anymore. But, it's the first 1911 that I bought, so it will stay. It's a 1995 vintage lightweight compact with carry comp. After the comp goes, the trigger guard gets undercut, the night sights get added, the magwell gets installed, and DuraCoat gets applied, it should make me smile again.:D

Those V12s are cool, I would have trouble letting one go. Has anyone ever had a smith add a rail? With a steel frame, it should be doable.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis

Yes, it is just a thing. A tool. (But, I'm rather protective of my tools, too.) :) And, like I said, people are more important than things. But, these are rather high priority things, to me. :)

Now, I know a guy who has alot of firearms - some he collects and will never part with, and others are more like investments. If I ever have the disposable income to do that kind of investing, maybe my sentiment will shift.

But, unless you bought this to re-sell for some sort of profit, I'd say hang onto it and save your pennies for another one that you want.

Good luck!

I hear you there man! A revolving collection of sorts would be nice. As of now I'm pretty interested in a rail gun that I can use for HD, fun at the range, and competition if I want. Sort of torn between the S&W E-series and Springfield's MC Operator. Love the front strap checkering, slide serrations, and external extractor on the S&W, not so nuts about the OD green frame on the MC. Both are outstanding guns, and both companies have lifetime warranties, so I don't think there's a bad choice. The S&W is a bit cheaper though. Decisions, decisions.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

That is sure purdy.:yesway:

A rail could easily be fabbed from a block of stainless, welded to the frame, and polished so it looked like it was made that way. This from a guy with access to a shop full of CNC equipment and a tig welder, so easily for me and easily for you might differ:D

Just get busy running up that post count to 50, you will have no trouble finding a buyer.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That is sure purdy.:yesway:

A rail could easily be fabbed from a block of stainless, welded to the frame, and polished so it looked like it was made that way. This from a guy with access to a shop full of CNC equipment and a tig welder, so easily for me and easily for you might differ:D

Just get busy running up that post count to 50, you will have no trouble finding a buyer.

Personally I don't mind the look of the Dawson rail, although they are pretty much impossible to find now. Not sure if I would want to do something that drastic to the frame...but I would consider it.

As for the post count, yeah. I confess I'm a lurker. I read quite a bit and rarely post.

PM me a pic.
    I have some railed 1911's and may be interested in a trade.
    Have to see what you have and whats been done to it.

As ghuns pointed out, I'm a forum posting newbie. So I actually couldn't PM you! Yet.

Last edited:

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have a S/A V-12 Loaded 1911, Its my favorite 1911 in the safe ( dont tell the others).Id save up & buy a railed version, Im going thru the same thing wanting a railed 1911 & was considering trading off my Champion lightweight .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Railed 1911's are something I wanted for a long time. Now I have 2 and a railed H&K USP. All are .45 ACP

Pic is SA TRP Tactical that I sent back to the SA custom shop.

karmaTRP013.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a V-12. I got tired of it blowing dirt on me (cast bullets) so I fitted it with an unvented match barrel and bushing saving the factory parts. If anyone thinks they are valuable and makes a cash offer, I will gladly put it back stock. So far, it does not seem to be worth any extra.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a S/A V-12 Loaded 1911, Its my favorite 1911 in the safe ( dont tell the others).Id save up & buy a railed version, Im going thru the same thing wanting a railed 1911 & was considering trading off my Champion lightweight .

I know right? I just really really have an itch for a rail gun. Aesthetically I like the non railed models more, but I want the functionality of a rail on my 1911. It's easily my favorite type of pistol to shoot. Favorite in the safe is a pretty high rating. Over what others?

I have a V-12. I got tired of it blowing dirt on me (cast bullets) so I fitted it with an unvented match barrel and bushing saving the factory parts. If anyone thinks they are valuable and makes a cash offer, I will gladly put it back stock. So far, it does not seem to be worth any extra.

I haven't had the dirt in the face effect...although I did fire from retention once. Hah. Won't do that again. Felt like I got slapped in the face!

Very nice! I would keep it and save for another.

Thanks! It is an option. So is spending quite a bit an sending it to SCS for a complete overhaul. Now that would be awesome.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know right? I just really really have an itch for a rail gun. Aesthetically I like the non railed models more, but I want the functionality of a rail on my 1911. It's easily my favorite type of pistol to shoot. Favorite in the safe is a pretty high rating. Over what others?

I haven't had the dirt in the face effect...although I did fire from retention once. Hah. Won't do that again. Felt like I got slapped in the face!

Thanks! It is an option. So is spending quite a bit an sending it to SCS for a complete overhaul. Now that would be awesome.

They will do great work for you. My TRP was sweet out of the box. One of my favorites. Really no reason to send it but my SA Trophy was just so much better. After they worked on it I am hooked. It is not the machine the Trophy is but it was never meant to be. The TLR-1 light and 10 rd. CM mags make for a perfectly balanced piece with vary controllable target reac.
    Felt or realized recoil is greatly reduced.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They will do great work for you. My TRP was sweet out of the box. One of my favorites. Really no reason to send it but my SA Trophy was just so much better. After they worked on it I am hooked. It is not the machine the Trophy is but it was never meant to be. The TLR-1 light and 10 rd. CM mags make for a perfectly balanced piece with vary controllable target reac.
    Felt or realized recoil is greatly reduced.

Yeah I figure a railed gun with a light (not to mention that bull barrel) probably spits out 230gr bullets like it's nothing. I'm sure it has amazing follow up. For mine if I sent it in I was thinking: satin finish bead blast, checkered front strap, fiber optic front sight, dehorn/refit a few things to tighten it up just so. All that would be pretty expensive though, and it might make me want to just pamper all that hotness instead of shooting it!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah I figure a railed gun with a light (not to mention that bull barrel) probably spits out 230gr bullets like it's nothing. I'm sure it has amazing follow up. For mine if I sent it in I was thinking: satin finish bead blast, checkered front strap, fiber optic front sight, dehorn/refit a few things to tighten it up just so. All that would be pretty expensive though, and it might make me want to just pamper all that hotness instead of shooting it!

Yes, but only for the 1st visit to the range. After that it is like a new car. The more you run it the more you will run it..............:D

I pampered my trophy for a while. Now it gets out to the dance with the rest.
    It is just now really shot in.

The new Loaded has not been out yet. Anticipating that trip.

Top Bottom