Rare 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 worth a fortune found in abandoned home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

Historic sports car could be worth more than $300,000​

You never know what you'll find in a fixer-upper, including another fixer-upper.
    This 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 was found in an abandoned home in Georgia.

This 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 was found in an abandoned home in Georgia. (Matt Taylor)
    Classic car hunter Matt Taylor told Fox News Autos the story of a rare American muscle car that his friend led him to in an abandoned home late last year.
    Zach Taylor -- no relation -- saw an ad on Facebook for a 1966 Ford Mustang Shelby steering wheel and followed it up to discover a family had inherited the run-down house and belongings of a deceased relative who had a stash of cars and parts in the garage.
    The GT350 was rusty, but all-original.

The GT350 was rusty, but all-original. (Matt Taylor)
    Among them were a 1991 Ford Mustang convertible and an appealing 1965 Ford Mustang K-Code coupe, but the real treasure was hidden under a cover where it had been sitting for around three decades: a complete 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, one of just 562 that were made that year.

The paint had some rust, thanks to the raccoons that had been living in the tarp and using it as a bathroom, and the trunk showed a fair amount of corrosion, but the interior and mechanical parts were in pretty good shape for a car that had been left untouched for so long.

HISTORIC 1965 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT350R SOLD FOR RECORD $4 MILLION
    The interior was largely intact and just needed to be cleaned.

The interior was largely intact and just needed to be cleaned. (Matt Taylor)
    Matt cut a deal with the family to buy the entire lot and brought the car back to his shop. He refurbished the 289 cubic-inch V8 and got it running pretty easily; he replaced the suspension, fuel tank, exhaust and a few other components with correct parts.

Matt Taylor was able to refurbish the 289 V8 and get it running again.

Matt Taylor was able to refurbish the 289 V8 and get it running again. (Matt Taylor)
    The interior just needed to be cleaned and, for now, he's left the old paint and patina intact to help it tell its story when he brings it to car shows.
    Matt Taylor brought the GT350 back to driving condition, but has left its corroded appearance.

Matt Taylor brought the GT350 back to driving condition, but has left its corroded appearance. (Matt Taylor)
    Despite its rarity, don't expect to see it on an auction site anytime soon. Matt said he plans to keep it, though it could be worth a pretty penny if he ever changes his mind.
    According to the Hagerty Price Guide, a 1965 GT350 in decent shape is worth $300,000, while a show car-quality example could command $600,000 or more.
    Gary Gastelu is FoxNews.com's Automotive Editor covering the car industry and racing @foxnewsautos

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wonder if they treated the family fairly or took advantage of their naivete? Similar story from a couple of years ago; a guy went to look at "an old ford" that an elderly widow was trying to sell. Turns out it was a GT500KR. It was in similar condition as the one above. The guy brought in an appraiser and paid just under the appraised value.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I would not touch it any further.

What a sweet ride, in my top 10 to own.

I am just waiting for someone to step up with "The Blue Lady", Jim Morrisons 67 Shelby GT500. I could see it bringing crazy, stupid, pay off the national debt kind of money.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Back around 1975 I passes on buying a Black w/ Gold Stripes 1966 Shelby for $500. I was convinced it was a fake having never heard of a Black/Gold Shelby. Well I was so wrong.

iu
    In September of 1965, the General Manager of Shelby American, Peyton Cramer, and the Hertz Corporation came to a brilliant business agreement: They would offer the 1966 GT350-H as a rental car through the now-famous Hertz “Rent-a-Racer” Program. This deal created 1,000 Shelby Mustang GT350-Hs for use in the Hertz rental fleet, allowing customers to do more than just rent a standard rental vehicle for their needs.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Back around 1975 I passes on buying a Black w/ Gold Stripes 1966 Shelby for $500. I was convinced it was a fake having never heard of a Black/Gold Shelby. Well I was so wrong.

iu
    In September of 1965, the General Manager of Shelby American, Peyton Cramer, and the Hertz Corporation came to a brilliant business agreement: They would offer the 1966 GT350-H as a rental car through the now-famous Hertz “Rent-a-Racer” Program. This deal created 1,000 Shelby Mustang GT350-Hs for use in the Hertz rental fleet, allowing customers to do more than just rent a standard rental vehicle for their needs.

I've heard the "engine swap story" over the years.....would like to know how much is truth and how much is urban legend.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

iu

GT350H!! IIRC they had to go with automatics because the clutches kept getting destroyed. People kept renting them and taking them to the drag strip. AWESOME!!!

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    My dad owned a Mobil Service station. Always was buying and selling cars. Remember a gold Torino, mom didn't like it so it was gone. He had a blue 65 Mustang Fastback, white interior, mom said nope, so it sold. She did keep the 68 Charger. Got hit by a Nova on drivers front corner, spun around and hit it on the drivers rear. Dad sold it.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I'd love to see Count's Kustoms get ahold of that for a full restore.
    They did a GT500, but I wouldn't have them do a restore of any magnitude. I would allow them to build a custom, but with my paint scheme. I don't care for the '70's "vibe" they do.
    I would like for Martin's Bros. to build me a car.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The '65 - '66 Mustang fastback is the best looking Mustang of all (IMO).
    I like the clean lines of the 65-6 Shelby but prefer the 67-8 Mustang fastback.

Now it's your turn to get all indignant, organize a riot er I mean a protest, demand restitution and all of the rest of today's narrative as to how to handle someone that doesn't lockstep agree with you. :lmfao:

Top Bottom