• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Well, after a pretty bad first range trip with my new Ruger LCP (you can read about it here if you like https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/129365-ruger_lcp_380_a-6.html#post1704178 )

My husband and I went to Quakertown SRA today and put 90 Winchester 95gr FMJ through Elsie. Not a single problem feeding or ejecting. oops--actually, my husband's last shot of the day was stove pipe, but other than that no isses at all. My husband was making 4" groups at 7 yards. I, on the other hand, continued to struggle.

I followed the advice I got from other LCP owners (including dry fire practice, trigger control, rotating my wrist a little since I'm cross-dominant, increasing the strength of my weak hand grip, etc.) and did show some small improvement. At least I put more of my shots on the plates and one or two of them actually went exactly where I was aiming. I guess I have to measure my improvements in small increments and be happy for any improvement at all
    smiley.gif
    I found that the perfect shot for me is as elusive as a perfect golf swing! I would have a great shot, and try to duplicate it the next time, only to find either my finger had slid deeper into the trigger and pulled at the shot, or I flinched, or... well, you get it. At least I have proven to myself that I CAN improve. So, will dry fire practice and practice and try to make weekly trips to the range.

Although I'm tempted to hand over the Elsie to my husband and buy a larger 9mm, I don't want to admit defeat so easily! So I'll keep practicing and see where it gets me. I know the LCP is not meant for target shooting, but I need to be better with it if it's going to be my carry gun.

Oh... but on a positive note-- Quakertown SRA shooting range is a real nice facility!

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Don't despair too much, some guns just don't fit a person as well as others. I am a fairly good shot (3" circle at 50' with most of my guns) but my Walther PPS .40 is all over the place in my hands, and dead on in my GFs hands. I have gotten my group size with it down to 6-8" @50', but it took a lot of work.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Believe it or not, you will get better with the LCP. In fact, what you learn about trigger control with a handgun like the LCP will help you shoot every other handgun better.

The LCP has one of the longest and stiffest triggers you will find, and it never seems like the LCP will never fire during the pull. What you will come to find is that your concentration should be about 75% on squeezing the trigger straight back with the pad of your finger, and about 25% on your front sight picture.

No matter what firearm you shoot, the mechanics of trigger control will be by far the most important thing you do.

Just so you don't lose all faith in the accuracy of the LCP, you should post a question or two to Todd G. at pistol-training.com. He is the guy that shows his students how to hit plates at 75 yards with an LCP.

Good luck and be safe!

Last edited:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Believe it or not, you will get better with the LCP. In fact, what you learn about trigger control with a handgun like the LCP will help you shoot every other handgun better....

I sure hope that is true!

Todd G. at pistol-training.com. He is the guy that shows his students how to hit plates at 75 yards with an LCP.

Seventy-five yards??? See ya later-- I gotta go check out that site :D

Thanks!

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    RANGE TRIP #3

My husband got a new Glock-19 yesterday, (and my new Mark III Target should be in on Wednesday! :) so we went to the range again today.

I really focused on my grip on the LCP and my shooting did improve a little again. Before going back to the range, I worked on dry-firing and I knew my trigger pull was smooth. I am at least hitting the 9" paper plates at 7 yards now. The first two mags, I only hit about 70%-- was shooting low. Next [STRIKE]mag[/STRIKE] 2 mags, 90%, and I only missed an occasional wild one after that. My best groups were pretty much 4 1/2" or so, though. Nothing to write home about. I'm still all over the plate, but the work I did on my grip made a big difference. I'm able to control the muzzle flip better and my follow-through has improved. I did catch myself flinching on occasion, so I'll pick up some snap caps and we'll try the ball and dummy drill next time. I still suck, just not as bad :rolleyes:

Interesting (to me anyway) thing happened today-- I am cross-dominant, (left eye) and a occasionally I found I had to really struggle to keep focus on the front sight, and all of a sudden -BAM! my right eye just took over, like I didn't even HAVE a left eye. Weird. Reminded me a little of those magic eye books :)

I'm encouraged that I'm improving a little, and want to keep going in that direction. Does anyone have recommendations for simple training drill for a beginner? (I think I'm a ways away from being able to do the dot torture :n00b: So be nice :)

The grip on my husband's new G-19 is a little too big for me, but I still like it! It has maybe a 15-20 degree misallignment with my forearm when I'm on the trigger, but I still shot it better at 15 yards than I did the LCP at 7! First shot - perfect, next 4 within 2"! The group widened a little after that. I DO wish my hands weren't so stubby though!

Last edited:

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Two words.....Crimson Trace.

You'd be amazed at how much more accurate you are when that red dot shows you exactly what you are doing wrong with trigger squeeze, grip, etc.

If it weren't for the Crimson Trace, there's no way I'd carry an LCP. I have enough trouble seeing good sights, let alone sights that are almost non-existent on a dinky pocket pistol.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Follow this idea: Handle the pistol more in a safe environment-magazine removed/pistol unloaded, and hold it in each hand individually, and get more comfortable (mentally) with it-when you're away from the range. When you're at the range/shooting, try to relax a bit in terms of tensing up (your shoulders will be evidence of that-if you're getting overly tense), and try shooting with each hand individually, and not all with a two handed stance as many do. Take a breath, and try to smile before each shot, and anticipate success in terms of shooting practice with a continuing, positive, mental attitude. Part of this is physical, and part is mental. Work on all of this, and give it time...

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Thanks, Hoosier and Hiker. The CT is tempting for sure. I'm going to stick with trying to learn to shoot it well without it for now, and then consider it later. Since I just bought myself another gun, I have to exercise a little restraint... for now :)

So, Hiker, what you are saying is, shooting is 90% mental, and the other half is physical. (Apologies to Yogi) :)

I am guilty of all that you mentioned-- tensing, two-handed only, and I think I only smiled after I hit one of my few perfect shots :) Thanks for the advice--I'll follow it! (Since it doesn't cost me money, like Hoosier's suggestion) :D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I carried and shot the original Kel Tec version for about 6 years, was very reliable and as accurate as my Seecamp. They are small and tough to shoot well and as others have noted the sights leave a lot to be desired. Ball and dummy will be a big help to learn to control the flinching, lots of dry fire will help smooth the trigger. A slip on grip might help as well giving you a bit more to hold onto.

Hogue Handall Jr Grip Sleeve

When the PF-9 came out I sold my P-32 and upgraded...it is a much easy gun to shoot and hides just as nicely.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Thanks, Hoosier and Hiker. The CT is tempting for sure. I'm going to stick with trying to learn to shoot it well without it for now, and then consider it later. Since I just bought myself another gun, I have to exercise a little restraint... for now :)

So, Hiker, what you are saying is, shooting is 90% mental, and the other half is physical. (Apologies to Yogi) :)

I am guilty of all that you mentioned-- tensing, two-handed only, and I think I only smiled after I hit one of my few perfect shots :) Thanks for the advice--I'll follow it! (Since it doesn't cost me money, like Hoosier's suggestion) :D

Have you tried point shooting? At 7 yrds put your weight on your front leg and lean into the shot, point the gun at the plate with both eyes open (don't use the sights) and squeeze the shots off. I use this for training all the time and you will be surprised how accurate you can be.

Good shooting..........

jffyg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Hamilton
    1) No matter what you should be proud of yourself for practicing and researching to find ways of getting better.
    2) I am jealious because I cant get my wife to care about shooting her P3AT better
    3) If you can master such a small weapon you will really rock with a larger more controlable gun, but in the end the small gun is going to likely be the one that saves you or your loved ones life!
    4) When I shoot small frame weapons I put my weak hand pointing finger (one next to the thumb) on the trigger gaurd, this seems to help me alot! especially on follow up shots, and do train for a half second recovery between shots or they will be wasted shots in the real world.

KEEP THE FAITH! With more practice you will get it! You have the right attitude.

Last edited:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Hello ElseaPea RN! I live 6 or 8 miles from Quakertown, [depending on which way I go around the lake]. Keep practicing with that little booger, it will get better. Have you put a rubber grip sleeve on it and the extended mag base. These two items make it a whole lot easier to shoot.

PM me if you and your husband would like to meet at the range. My LCP has a grip sleeve and finger extension on one mag. I also polished the feed ramp, barrell, etc. for more positive feeding and extraction. I also have a Kahr CW9, that is a sweetheart to carry, you could try if you were interested in jumping up to 9mm and ditch the LCP.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    1) No matter what you should be proud of yourself for practicing and researching to find ways of getting better. Thanks! I'll be prouder when I can say I actually succeeded at getting better :)
    2) I am jealious because I cant get my wife to care about shooting her P3AT better If she has a competetive streak like I do, that makes it easier! You might use that.
    3) If you can master such a small weapon you will really rock with a larger more controlable gun, but in the end the small gun is going to likely be the one that saves you or your loved ones life! I think that shooting with the LCP first really helped me shoot the G-19 better. As others have suggested, shooting the other guns first really messes up shooting with the LCP and the exact opposits is true of shooting the LCP first. I was smiling ear to ear when I put the first G-19 shot right in the center! I guess the reason I've been so bummed about my rough start with the LCP is that I want it as my carry gun and I need to trust myself to be able to use it in a real threat.
    4) When I shoot small frame weapons I put my weak hand pointing finger (one next to the thumb) on the trigger guard, this seems to help me alot! especially on follow up shots, and do train for a half second recovery between shots or they will be wasted shots in the real world. I'll try this! Thanks!

KEEP THE FAITH! With more practice you will get it! You have the right attitude.

I appreciate the encouragement and the ideas!

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    PM me if you and your husband would like to meet at the range. My LCP has a grip sleeve and finger extension on one mag. I also polished the feed ramp, barrell, etc. for more positive feeding and extraction. I also have a Kahr CW9, that is a sweetheart to carry, you could try if you were interested in jumping up to 9mm and ditch the LCP.

Thanks, sharpetop! I did get the Pachymar tactical grip glove on it. I have some mixed feelings about it-- I could really feel the difference in comfort when I shot with it on and I like that. I do find that it tends to slide downward after shooting a bunch and I discover it when I go to put a new mag in and have to pulla t it to adjust it. I put the extension on the mag and I liked it, so I got two more mags with the extension also!

We may take you up on your offer! Our range trips seem to be spur of the moment decisions so far, but I'll PM you when I know a little ahead of time. It takes us about 20 minutes to get there from Connersville. Thanks!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If you originally couldn't hit the plates at seven yards, that is likely due to two things:

#1: Not focusing on the front sight: You either were focused on the front sight, had a picture, but your focus went elsewhere (likely the target) and you adjusted and then fired, missing the plate.

#2: You have a good grasp on front sight focusing, but you are anticipating the shot and compensating by moving the gun just prior to firing.

I help a new shooter learn how to shoot recently. She started off on a snub nose .357 shooting .38spl. To help her understand the concept of front sight focusing, I had her shoot my semi-auto .22LR with a very bright fiber optic front sight. The sight picture on this handgun is awesome. Doing this allows the shooter to fully grasp focusing completely on the front sight. Her snub nose revolver has a somewhat hard sight to focus on, but with practice, she is able to hit a torso target at 15 yards no problem.

Shooting takes practice, lots of practice. If you are now hitting your targets most of the time, you just need to keep practicing. The ball and dummy drills work, but sometimes you will focus too much on "Will the gun go bang or won't it?" and you end up not gaining much. One trick you can try is to do this: Take a proper, comfortable stance with the gun. Get your front sight picture, which you have to hold until after the bullet fires. Say in your head to yourself "Front sight front sight front sight front sight" while slowly pulling the trigger. This can help remind you that the most important thing is focusing on that front sight. It also helps with blocking the thinking of "Gun is going to fire, gun is going to fire."

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I live outside of Liberty and please do. My grip sleeve is from a guy who started making them for Kel-Tecs and selling them on-line. Fits nice and tight.

Trim a little off your grip sleeve so it won't interfere with the magazine. Use a small squirt of hair spray to slide the sleeve on and let it dry for a few minutes. It should now stay in place.

Top Bottom