• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It was a nice day out at Jasper Pulaski this afternoon. I was on the 50 yd range at the leftmost bench so my back was turned to the rest of the line (I'm a lefty). I'm doing my thing when I start to hear all this yelling and hollering. I turned around to see someone walking down range with a target in their hand. This guy had sent his poor wife down range to set their target while the line was hot. He was an older guy and looked like he knew his way around guns (except for the being safe part).

I don't get how some people can be that stupid and still live to tell about it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It was a nice day out at Jasper Pulaski this afternoon. I was on the 50 yd range at the leftmost bench so my back was turned to the rest of the line (I'm a lefty). I'm doing my thing when I start to hear all this yelling and hollering. I turned around to see someone walking down range with a target in their hand. This guy had sent his poor wife down range to set their target while the line was hot. He was an older guy and looked like he knew his way around guns (except for the being safe part).

Does that life insurance policy have a "pays double if killed in a firearms accident" clause?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Maybe he just doesn't loke his wife?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    JP in particular seems to draw lots of stupid.

Situational Awareness - Head on a swivel for your protection and for theirs.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Pretty much the reason I like shooting in a pistol bay outdoors by myself. I wish my range had more bays to do so.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    From the way you described the ruckus that ensued, it sounded like there were other people paying attention. Probably saved that woman's life.
    I am typically not an advocate for violence, but at minimum that couple needs a stern verbal beatdown. More so the man than the woman. But both need to be impressed with the potential for what could have happened, and what could have been a potentially life changing occurrence for the other shooters. No one wants a life on their conscience.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I saw that happen once at Atterbury after the makeover. Line was hot and a woman sets her stuff down at the bench and immediately proceeds downrange with target in hand. Something like that illustrates the frailty of the human mind

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    /sigh

That's so awful and sad.

What should the husband and wife done correctly in this instance? I've only fired at an inside gun range, so I'm not clear what should have actually transpired (outside of knowing you don't go down range while people are actively shooting).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    /sigh

That's so awful and sad.

What should the husband and wife done correctly in this instance? I've only fired at an inside gun range, so I'm not clear what should have actually transpired (outside of knowing you don't go down range while people are actively shooting).
    Follow the ranges established rules for calling the line go cold. Weapons' cleared and laid down per the rules.
    Everyone uses this as an opportunity to check/change targets.

Then under those same guidelines when the range is clear of people call the line hot so everyone knows.

The stupid that you see at the range is an example of what these same morons do out in the world.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    Follow the ranges established rules for calling the line go cold. Weapons' cleared and laid down per the rules.
    I guess I'm more or less asking what that action would look like. Do you go stall to stall? Is there a bell to ring? (Haha @ the thought!)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Then under those same guidelines when the range is clear of people call the line hot so everyone knows.

The stupid that you see at the range is an example of what these same morons do out in the world.
    This.

And some ranges with RSOs operate in intervals. x minutes of firing, x minute break to change targets. Later, rinse, repeat.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    /sigh

That's so awful and sad.

What churchmouse said.
    If there's no RO running the show, basically you need a small break in the firing sufficient enough that those on the line can hear you ask "Clear to go down range?" Use your lungs ... people are wearing muffs and/or plugs.
    What should happen then is that either you'll be answered -- it might be a minute or two -- or that everyone will begin making safe their firearms and setting them on the bench or the mat. (No firearms should be handled while a person is downrange.)
    Before anyone walks down, everyone on the line should look at each other and confirm, yes, the line is clear. At that point, you -- and, as churchmouse said, anyone who'd like -- may walk downrange to post or check targets.
    When everyone's back, the line must be announced "hot" again before folks start firing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I guess I'm more or less asking what that action would look like. Do you go stall to stall? Is there a bell to ring? (Haha @ the thought!)
    It varies from range to range. check the posted rules, talk to the other shooters, etc. That is the only way you will know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What churchmouse said.
    If there's no RO running the show, basically you need a small break in the firing sufficient enough that those on the line can hear you ask "Clear to go down range?" Use your lungs ... people are wearing muffs and/or plugs.
    What should happen then is that either you'll be answered -- it might be a minute or two -- or that everyone will begin making safe their firearms and setting them on the bench or the mat. (No firearms should be handled while a person is downrange.)
    Before anyone walks down, everyone on the line should look at each other and confirm, yes, the line is clear. At that point, you -- and, as churchmouse said, anyone who'd like -- may walk downrange to post or check targets.
    When everyone's back, the line must be announced "hot" again before folks start firing.
    And keep your eyes open while you are waiting on the line for those downrange to return. Dont be afraid to call somebody out for gun handling while the range is cold. Some suggest that nobody should even be touching a gun while somebody is down range. (prevents somebody that is "just going to check something" from forgetting its cold and loading up again, jeopardizing the safety of others. )

Top Bottom