Range Report - Shooting out to 730 yards with 42769vette (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Fantastic write up sir!

I'm sure the weather was crappy but any day the range is better than a day at work. :)

As for 42769vette being a wealth of knowledge? I have to agree and I'm not sure I could even consider buying a set if glass anywhere else. BTW, you know how difficult it is to save for a PST when you have an affliction for pretty rifles? :)

Again, great write up. Made me feel like I was there with ya.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    What a great read! Thank for taking the time to put this together. Even though it was cold, still looked like a great time.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    INGOers are great people.
    • Even in long-range precision shooting, the 'software' is more important than the 'hardware'.
    • I want a Geissele trigger for Project Iron Widow.
    • 42769vette has an approach to customer service that is unique in this industry. He is an encyclopedia of knowledge in the fields of long-range shooting and precision optics. If you need an optic, he can help you (even if he doesn't sell what you need).
    Many thanks to lovemywoods for letting us carpool with him, OneBadV8 for sharing his guns and conversation, 42769vette and his wife for hosting, 42769vette's parents for letting us shoot on their farm, and to Fenway for creating this wonderful place where I've had the chance to meet some amazing people.

:ingo:

Thank you for a great report. And yes, we are lucky to have INGO and members like those you mentioned. To me, their help has been invaluable. :ingo:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I had a GREAT time when Alan had me out to his place last year, but the weather was pretty nice for us; you guys did it the hard way. ;)

Nice review as always; great to see INGOers getting together in the Real World.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had a GREAT time when Alan had me out to his place last year, but the weather was pretty nice for us; you guys did it the hard way. ;)

Nice review as always; great to see INGOers getting together in the Real World.

The nice thing about our range day was when it rained we shot from the barn. It was cold everywhere Saturday.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Wow, I wish I had that much land. I have the gear to do it, but rarely get to shoot more than 100y, so I have to imagine shooting vicariously for now.

There are a couple ranges you can go to also if you ever want to try it out. I know Hillside Shooting Sports (Roanoke, IN) has some long distance and so does Bass and Bucks (Wabash, IN)

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    Great write up. It Looked like a good time. I haven't done any long range for a long time. My 300 H&H Magnum has become a Safe Queen.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I had a blast yesterday!

The trip over to the east side of Indiana went very quickly with great conversation in the car.

42769vette and his gracious wife are wonderful hosts and treated us very well.

Did I mention that it was cold? :) No really, it was COLD! Like 45 seconds without your glove and your fingers began to burn cold!

We were all layered up in our clothes like the police dog trainers that let the German Shepherds chew on them. When I would get down prone I felt like a turtle rolling around trying to get into a reasonable shooting position.

I like to eat, so that part of the day was a two thumbs up for me also! :yesway::yesway:

Shooting was lots of fun, particularly since I have only limited experience with long-range shooting. I enjoy the combination of the rifle/scope, the ballistics, and the shooter all coming together to make a clean shot.

42769vette is a wonderful coach. As I set up to shoot a .223 Remington BDL/Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 at 730 yards he kept claiming that his experience with the lighter loads was limited yet his suggested scope adjustments were spot on. He told me to dial 17 MOA up and 8 MOA left to compensate for a half to full value wind coming from our left. (That's 130" of Up adjustment and 61" of left adjustment!) That means that had I opted to do hold-overs, I would have been aiming about 11 feet above 5 feet left of the target center!

After a couple of shots, I was making repeated hits. You have to not talk during the three second wait if you want to here the soft 'ding' that a .224 bullet makes on steel.

Did I mention it was cold? :D

After many hours of fun and learning, we decided to come in. We were given coffee cake, brownies, coffee, and friendly conversation. It reminded me a bit of the feeling I had when I was a boy. We'd go sledding at the edge of town. When we were exhausted and chilled to the bone, my mom would make us real hot chocolate and let us sip that as our bodies started to warm up.

Without INGO, I would have missed the opportunity to meet and befriend the people I was with this day. Thank you Fenway and everyone who makes this a very special community. :rockwoot:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Great write-up, It doesn't get any better than a day shooting with friends.

Where did you get the ammo? :)

This isn't a complete list, just the ones I recall.

OneBadV8 is a reloader and made the rounds for his .300WinMag.

42769vette reloaded for his 260 rifle. I think I saw some Federal Gold Match out (probably for the .308). There was some M855 .223 ammo for the AR-15s at the range.

esrice is not a reloader. He had a selection of 69-77 grain factory match/premium boxes he was using.

I started reloading a bit over two years ago. At this shoot, I had boxes of custom loads I had developed for each rifle I brought. It gave me much more confidence to shoot my reloads when I was going out such long distances. I have seen the stark difference in accuracy between reloaded ammo and factory ammo (in most but not all cases).

Top Bottom