• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I recently acquired a refurb 1930 Izshevk Mosin-Nagant M91/30. You can read more about the rifle itself here.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...h-1930-mosin-nagant-m91-30-a.html#post5507973

I got a chance to take it out to the range at Atterbury today and send some rounds down range.

This was my first time ever shooting a Mosin-Nagant and I was pretty excited about it. I started off slow at just 50 yards to give myself a chance to get used to the mechanics and recoil. I also started off by loading single rounds. I was shooting off the bench but I was not using a rest, just my elbows on the bench using Bulgarian surplus ammo mfg. in 1976.

The first two shots landed on the 8 inch target and I was really feeling pretty good about things. The next 20 or so were much less encouraging as a struggled to hit the target. Everything seemed to be dropping just a few inches low.

After starting to really concentrate on the front site post it seemed as if the post is just a tiny bit crooked. I used a spent casting to lightly tap the post to the left. I have no idea if it actually did anything, but psychologically I think it helped.

I gathered myself and adjusted my aim to just slightly above center and I starred putting more rounds on paper. Nothing great, but at least they were hitting. I slung about 20 more rounds until the next cease fire.

During the cease fire I put up two new targets and decided to take a break from the Mosin and switch over to my Century Arms GP 1975 AK. It was only my second time shooting that and it's clear the iron sites on it are waaaay off. I fired about 50 rounds with it and fewer than half were on target. Most landed about 6-8 inches to the right of the target. Frutrated, I put the AK away and put 60 rounds through my AR. No issues there.

After posting a fresh target I went back to the Mosin-Nagant to post and 8 round group. Six found the target. I have no clue where the other two ended up.

20141219_125757_zpsv47evjxk.jpg

Overall I was pretty happy with the way things turned out. I'm sure with a little practice (or a rest) I'd be able to tighten up the groups. I did notice that the bolt is not the smoothest out there. It was fairly sticky, but nothing I couldn't manage without slapping it around a bit.

ETA: All shots were taken w/o the bayonet attached. I did not test to see if bayonet would have improved accuracy.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Supposedly the Mosin was sighted at the factory with the bayonet on, so that may improve your score. The Soviet solder was not allowed to remove the bayonet, in case he had to vault over a wall.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Polishing the bolt camming surfaces may help with the sticky bolt. I installed a Smith's Sights front sight on my M44 and the improved sight picture and height adjust-ability helped quite a bit with the accuracy. The finish on my stock was pretty bad. I sanded off the old shellac and refinished mine with boiled linseed oil. It looks much better now IMHO.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Polishing the bolt camming surfaces may help with the sticky bolt. I installed a Smith's Sights front sight on my M44 and the improved sight picture and height adjust-ability helped quite a bit with the accuracy. The finish on my stock was pretty bad. I sanded off the old shellac and refinished mine with boiled linseed oil. It looks much better now IMHO.

Best thing to use to remove shellac is denatured alcohol. You may be able to spread the existing finish just using that and cover the bad areas.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    My time on this forum has taught me that no two Mosins shoot alike. Since this was your first time using the Mosin, perhaps it was the user? Not saying you're a bad shot, but I know how much these things kick. It's quite easy to flinch, and not even realize it. It happens to me all the time

Glad you were able to take the thing out. Beware, I've been told these tend to multiply. I only have one now, but my Izzy has been telling me how lonely it is, and how much it would like a friend. That may have to happen soon. I mean, you do have to keep your Mosins happy :):

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My time on this forum has taught me that no two Mosins shoot alike. Since this was your first time using the Mosin, perhaps it was the user? Not saying you're a bad shot, but I know how much these things kick. It's quite easy to flinch, and not even realize it. happen soon.

Oh I'm certain I was the primary reason for the misses. I was actually surprised at how manageable recoil was. I was expecting much worse. I don't think flinching was much of an issue. It was more likely my overall lack of technique. I was trying to focus on controlling my breath and keep the thing steady, but I could see the site post out there bobbing up and down a bit.

For me the main takeaway from today was just how much I could benefit from an Appleseed event and learning the fundamentals.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    The mosin I have I was shooting offhand standing and hitting 8 inch plate at 60 yards consistently. I was always told how bad the recoil was, but once I shot mine I determined this people are liars. On the front sight on the front of it should be a mark. That is where it was originally sighted in. May have changed if there is bad rifling or counterbored.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not a bad grouping there, especially for your first time out with it. You had fun didn't ya? :) I never thought the recoil was bad either. My 12 gauge shotguns beat me up a lot worse than a Mosin.

Top Bottom