• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    For me, it's chickens full time & rabbits seasonally.

With my usual aplomb ;) rabbits work REALLY well in a greenhouse. Seasonal.

Rabbits provide heat & CO2 to winter (sealed) greenhouses. They eat any waste from the greenhouse.
    You will have to feed them, but they are composting machines.
    Rabbit waste is super fuel for plants.
    Compost piles under rabbit hutches provide heat in their own right, and it directly deposits rabbit waste into compost pile.
    Rabbits provide some humidity introduction into the air, moisture being in short supply in the winter months.

On the other hand, rabbit meat ALONE will starve you to death, but this isn't an issue if you have ANY other foodstuffs.

Goats are another matter.
    Milk, yes! And it's actually good for you unlike cows milk.
    Most great cheeses are made from goat's milk.

Goats are climbers & jumpers. Think SOLID horse fences, not cow fences.
    If a got can get on top of ANYTHING within 5 feet of a tall fence, he's out.
    They will climb woven wire fences & gates.
    They will climb YOU given any opertunity.

Goats are often aggressive, and LOUD, some breeds worse than others, but all are loud.
    Goats STINK, with rabbits the smell is contained to the compost pile/greenhouse.

Goats will eat about anything, so keep a vet on speed dial.

As you can tell, I'm not much on goats, like the meat & milk, hate the noise, aggressiveness, fence climbing & damage, the vet bills, and they are a LOT more work than chickens & rabbits, and need a LOT more room.

My 2¢ worth, take it for what it cost you...

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Don't have the space right now to expand beyond my daughters' 4H rabbits right now. Maybe in the future. My oldest did have the champion fryer at this year's fair, a Californian doe that was about an ounce away from being too big; that litter also produced the 2nd and 4th place entries.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Any Rabbit Raisers having luck or found any of this info useful? My father asked about it again.

This is the first time I have seen this topic, but it looks VERY useful. Thank you.
    I will have to be very careful giving this a try. I'm not allergic to much. But, rabbits really do me in.

Top Bottom