• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Can someone help me?

Hey, I am wanting a little bit of reference help. I am a handy guy, but plumbing connections are not my specialty (I can do basic copper and PVC, but some of these parts are just different). I am wanting to build a 2 barrel system, but I am not exaclty sure how to make all of the connections. If there is a site that shows what to buy, or sells the parts needed, that may help. I imagine it would be cheaper to go to the hardware store and get what I need and piece it together.

I would probably make this as a 'sealed' system and not have the downspout drain and overflow. Probably something like this that will stop when the barrels are full. http://www.menards.com/main/lawn-ga...ainreserve-diverter-kit/p-1734833-c-13106.htm

1. I am wanting a valve on each one to drain. I know I will need to drill a hole and get some sort of valve, but how do I seal the valve to the barrel? What parts do I need?
    2. I may want to have a tube up high and down low to equalize the water in each barrel. How do I make the connection sealed to the barrel?
    3. I may want to have one tube to each barrel. How do I make the connection sealed to the barrel?

I am also doing some of this for a neighbor as well, so easy is good.

Thanks for your help.

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    I have that Menards part and it works great. I made a square frame out of 2x10 and cut semi circles out to lay two barrels horizontally. Made another frame and cut it to lay on top of the barrels with cuts to put 2 more on top. I used hose barbs and tubing to connect the top to the bottom. The large bungs have threads in the center of the cap that fits 1/2" or 3/8" pipe (I can't remember) after I cut the centers out. Put a boiler valve in each bottom barrel. As far as connecting to the Menards item I put a couple pvc connecters that the fill hose goes over and it screws into the barrel.

Top Bottom