• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Anyone have an idea how to prepare for surviving with contaminated water and air ?

FYI there's been a fire burning underground near a St. Louis landfill used to store radioactive waste from our bomb making processes .

Also the water near the site has been contaminated and there's unusual concentrations of cancer and other health problems .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kw989dMCEeM

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Radioactive stuff comes in a lot of flavors so to speak. Half lives on this stuff runs from days to centuries. Without details you're stuck with generalities like taking extra iodine to slow absorption of iodine 131 in the thyroid.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Did a little reading outside the hysteria. The material in St Louis is barium sulfate which is what they have you drink before getting a gastrointestinal x ray.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Did a little reading outside the hysteria. The material in St Louis is barium sulfate which is what they have you drink before getting a gastrointestinal x ray.

Might wanna read some more , there's way more than Barium Sulfate and it wouldn't explain the cancer cluster and birth defects in the immediate area .

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    You'd have to know exactly what type of waste you are dealing with and the amounts. Plus, you'd have to have some type of device to detect when it is present. Those can easily be purchased but in a survival type situation might be difficult to deal with. This peaked my interest, as my field deals with radiation. Looks like i've got hours of reading now :)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is my understanding that the air and water THEMSELVES are not radioactive, but just contaminated with radioactive particles.

So, a good set of filters and a closed system should handle it.

Depending on the concentration, that may mean a simple face mask and showering after being outdoors. Sealing up your house as best you can, and replacing furnace filters often.

Or, could be full body suits, masks, and respirators.

Don't know a ton on this particular event, but from what little I've read.... if in the effected area, I'd be planning a bug-out or permanent relocation.

What sucks for St. Louis, is that this landfill is both upstream and upwind of the city. Gonna impact a ton of folks.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My water comes from 130' down...taint skeerd. I've got a radiological survey meter from CD that was calibrated recently by the good folks at the Cook Nuclear Power Plant, they said it's very accurate and sensitive. If I'm ever concerned I'll just load up the batteries and check.

It's also highly unlikely that the pond by my house would be contaminated...if it's that close I've probably got other issues to deal with like over pressure and over temperature.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    What sucks for St. Louis, is that this landfill is both upstream and upwind of the city. Gonna impact a ton of folks.

On or about 18 Oct . the site in Beatty NV. had an explosion and the radiation levels spiked in Las Vegas , over 100 miles away .

IIRC our "weather" comes from a southwesternly direction or from St. Louis so I'm thinking this may become an issue for us if the fire does make contact and it becomes airborne .

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The immediate area near the landfill and the airport are at risk for contamination. It is 237 miles from the landfill in St Louis, to downtown Indy. Very unlikely that any Alpha or Beta particles would drift even 1/10 that distance.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had ordered some potassium iodide tablets, but when I read up on it, I decided that they weren't really as necessary for older (over 40) people as they are for infants and children.

So, I gave them all to my kids to keep with their prep stuff.

Top Bottom