• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I have coon hunted for 25 years of my life. I would venture to say that I have forgot more about it than you have ever known. I am not attacking you or anyone else that spotlights. It is my opinion that it is not a very sporting way to harvest a coon. I would say your last sentence reinforces the attitude of most spotlighters. I would understand that attitude if it were the 70s or 80s when a large coon could bring $30 plus dollars. Now you can work a minimum wage job and make double the average of what one coon brings. So, doing it for money just doesn't make much sense to me.
    I averaged 17.45 for my put up coons last year from NAFA, but then again they were trapped coons and not dog bit chewed on coons sold to the local buyer in the carcass.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Wow do u just know nothing about coon hunting?!!! It takes far more skill to find a coon with just head lamps. Plus I wrote that we do have a dog just don't always take him. It doesn't matter if the dog found the coon or me it brings in the same cash.
    Exactly what skill does it take to find a coon with headlamps? Let me see, shine the tree, not much skill involved there, spot a pair of eyes looking at your bright light, um nope no skills, shoot coon with rifle, now that might take some skill but I wouldn't say far more. I have seen dogs run a track for hundreds of yards and pass by many, many coon that have not come down from the tree yet. The sporting part of coon hunting has ZERO to do with the humans and everything to do with the dog. Most coon hunters take pride in a dog that they have raised from a pup and trained it how to run a track and tree a coon and stayed treed until the human gets there and shoots the coon out to the dog. :twocents:

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AX9QoFhEhI"]YouTube - Jerry Clower - A Coon Huntin Story[/ame] A true coon hunting classic.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Are you beyond popping one if you happen to shine one while your waiting for your dogs to hit a track and put one up a tree? Maybe so now that prices are down, but back when coons were bringing 18-25 bucks and even more if you put them up. I bet you thought nothing of it. It is not illegal to shine coons and take them this way in Indiana. You probably don't like trappers either.

As a matter of fact I don't just "POP" one I happen to see sitting up nor do I ever kill more than one out of tree that has multiples. I could honestly care less if I get to kill a coon. I am in it for the challenge of training and competing with the dogs. I have also made a great deal of friends along the way.

I grew trapping our family farm. I belong to an Indiana hunting group that actively supports and lobbies for trappers rights.

That $17 dollars and change doesn't sound like much after you consider the man hours in preparing, setting, and checking traps. Then add up the time you have in skinning, stretching, and preparing the fur. Might as well throw some gas money in there too.

Sadly, trapping is becoming a lost art. I know a handfull that still hit it pretty hard. They do it because they love the sport, not to make a buck.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    As a matter of fact I don't just "POP" one I happen to see sitting up nor do I ever kill more than one out of tree that has multiples. I could honestly care less if I get to kill a coon. I am in it for the challenge of training and competing with the dogs. I have also made a great deal of friends along the way.

I grew trapping our family farm. I belong to an Indiana hunting group that actively supports and lobbies for trappers rights.

That $17 dollars and change doesn't sound like much after you consider the man hours in preparing, setting, and checking traps. Then add up the time you have in skinning, stretching, and preparing the fur. Might as well throw some gas money in there too.

Sadly, trapping is becoming a lost art. I know a handfull that still hit it pretty hard. They do it because they love the sport, not to make a buck.
    Well if you add in the averages of 5.15$ rats and the 16.00$ mink,22.25$ beaver, 18.55$ yotes, I'm thinking I made more money in 1 day than you did running your dogs all season last year and I didn't hit it near as hard as usual. Oh yeah, I'm doing it because I love the sport also and not to make a buck.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Exactly what skill does it take to find a coon with headlamps? Let me see, shine the tree, not much skill involved there, spot a pair of eyes looking at your bright light, um nope no skills, shoot coon with rifle, now that might take some skill but I wouldn't say far more. I have seen dogs run a track for hundreds of yards and pass by many, many coon that have not come down from the tree yet. The sporting part of coon hunting has ZERO to do with the humans and everything to do with the dog. Most coon hunters take pride in a dog that they have raised from a pup and trained it how to run a track and tree a coon and stayed treed until the human gets there and shoots the coon out to the dog. :twocents:
    If you got the cash it's pretty easy to buy your coon hunting skills with a 5000.00$ dog. We always judged a coon hunters skill by his tree climbin talents and not his dogs.LOL.

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    u think it takes no skill? then you take your headlamp only and go out in the woods and see how many you can see. over 50% of the ones we spot are not by thier eyes. its being a good spotter and spotting a body in the tree. it does take skill. When we take out others to learn most of them never spot one. But this aurgument will always cont. just like it always has. no one will agree with the other so it is pretty much never going to stop

Last edited:
    Top Bottom