• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    So, as a landowner, I was approached about leasing my land for a hunting lease. What questions should I ask to make sure they are safe hunters? What documents should I have for them to sign? What rules should I have? What is the going rate for an exclusive lease? These are coworkers of a friend of mine, so I do not know them. Any suggestions?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If you google "hunting lease agreement" you'll find examples of agreements that cover rules and what they should sign.

I'd want to talk to them and get a feel for whether or not they're bozos. Have they hunted before? How many of them? Do they expect to bring guests? What seasons will they hunt? Have any of them taken a hunter safety class? What does your buddy really think of them? How about your buddy's wife? What's she think of them?

Can't help you on the going rate.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    There is a simple "form" on the back of the state hunting and trapping guide that is a start. DNR: Hunting & Trapping Guide If you want to get detailed with a lease and a contract, then I would go to an attorney.

Here is a simple one that may give you ideas, but I'm sure you can find dozens by googling... https://www.michfb.com/MI/uploadedF...iness_Resources/Hunting20Lease20Agreement.pdf

There are no questions you can ask to make sure they are safe... "Sure, I'm a safe hunter" they all will say. Before you say yes it might be worth going to a shooting range with them just to see the way they handle weapons and get to see their attitudes.

You will want to consider what species you allow them to hunt, and you may want restrictions on certain days or times they can hunt, the locations on your property they can or can't hunt, what hunting weapons they can or can't use. You may want to limit the amount of game they take, and you may want them to report any and all game they take. You may want to limit them to a certain number of does, or antler size on bucks. You may want to specify where/if they can park, camp, put up shelter, build a fire.

You may want to obligate them to inform you any time they come on your property and who they can or cannot bring... sometimes people with an "exclusive" lease think that they can then bring any hunting buddies they want to... or even sub-let the hunting lease...you probably don't want that so get it in the contract, and be very specific about the names of the people listed on the lease.

You will want to stipulate what types/numbers of tree stands they will or won't be allowed to put up and when they can put it up and when it has to come down and if there are other things on the property (outbuildings, fences, ???) and make sure that they oblige themselves to leave things as they are and that they agree to pay for any damages.

They will want to know the property lines and probably the adjacent property owners in case they need to track a wounded animal they need to have permission from the land owners to do so.

Price is hard to say... I have seen prices for leases from $500-$5000 per year. It depends on the size and quality of the hunting land. You may want to stipulate in an "exclusive" contract that you still retain the right for you and your family to hunt.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Many good suggestions above. I would add that you should have them get an insurance policy for the lease and have them list you as additional insured.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Thank you to alll who posted. Those are great suggestions. I will look into those. I really like the shooting range idea. Actions do speak louder than words, and are harder to fake. Insurance has been on my mind. Any ideas on where to look for hunting insurance?

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Indiana law exempts landowners from liability for fishing/hunting rights. A money lease transaction may change that? Seek legal counsel if you will charge money. If you will be granting free access then a firm handshake and a look in the eye should give you a good feel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom