• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    Gunsmithing: Question regarding barrel crowning!

Okay guys, I'm thinking about adding an AK gas block/front sight combo, then shortening, recrowning, and permanently attaching a flash hider. [You know, cause it's gotta be 16", that will make it friendly...]

I'm thinking about doing this because I'd like to lighten the front end of this weapon, it's not going to be a weapon I'm shooting long range, and it will make all of my dreams come true.

SO, first, what crown angle do you recommend and why? I'm thinking 11 degree but that's just what most of my weapons currently sport.

Second, I don't want to drop a Benjamin on parts that I'll use once, MAYBE twice on doing this. Can anyone rent me their tools?

Third, I actually DO plan on removing the barrel to do this LEGALLY, as it's been mentioned that IF someone were to knock on my door with a warrant during the hour I would be hack-sawing a barrel down, it could end up being a very interesting decade.

Thoughs, opinions, and or waffles are welcome. :ingo:

Last edited:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Unless you are heck bent on doing it yourself,I would take it to a gunsmith.
    I doubt crowning a barrel would be that expensive.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    But there's the rub. I don't trust anybody to mess with my firearms. I'm weird I guess.

I'm used to working on AK's, and want to get more experience under my belt. SO, there ya go. BTW, I would guess it would cost around 130 bucks to have a gunsmith do it. I can get the tools for around a $90, so I would save some cash I suppose? but for me, the idea of doing for oneself is what I like the most.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    An 11 degree crown would be correct. It has been proven by the competition target shooting community, that this is the ideal crown angle for accuracy.

UNLESS you have a 'rig' or verticle drill press and the proper levels, with which you can assure that the new crown is EXACTLY perpendicular to the plane that is the length of the barrel.... I would not attempt this in a DIY manner. If you screw it up, you'll be out WAY more than $130.

Just my :twocents:, but I know a great deal about this.

BTW, the chamfer for re-crowning at 11 degrees, is probably best priced from an outfit like Pacific Tool & Gauge Inc.

ETA- Why don't you contact our INGO member, JetGirl.... and ask if the gun shop she works at does this type work???

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    On an AK I would call this a do it yourself project. You can get crazy about crowning your rifle but by the sound of it that's not your purpose. Saying that you can cut down the barrel with a guide, then get the 11 degree reamer (standard) and have at (slowly). Then just take out the sandpaper and give it a nice finish. Done

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    But there's the rub. I don't trust anybody to mess with my firearms. I'm weird I guess.

I'm used to working on AK's, and want to get more experience under my belt. SO, there ya go. BTW, I would guess it would cost around 130 bucks to have a gunsmith do it. I can get the tools for around a $90, so I would save some cash I suppose? but for me, the idea of doing for oneself is what I like the most.

So, do you have a lathe? Because there is no way you can do it with hand tools and do a better job than a gunsmith centering off your bore in a lathe.
    11 degree crown is fine for a target rifle, but really, an AK is not what I consider target grade, so go with a standard round crown.
    Also know that when trying to start a die on a barrel WITHOUT the proper equipment is not easy- Here there be Dragons!- and this can result in cosmetic flaws or even a trashed barrel. And a "die starter" (threaded stub shaft) is not as simple to use as it seems.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Okay guys, I'm thinking about adding an AK gas block/front sight combo, then shortening, recrowning, and permanently attaching a flash hider. [You know, cause it's gotta be 16", that will make it friendly...]

I'm thinking about doing this because I'd like to lighten the front end of this weapon, it's not going to be a weapon I'm shooting long range, and it will make all of my dreams come true.

SO, first, what crown angle do you recommend and why? I'm thinking 11 degree but that's just what most of my weapons currently sport.

Second, I don't want to drop a Benjamin on parts that I'll use once, MAYBE twice on doing this. Can anyone rent me their tools?

Third, I actually DO plan on removing the barrel to do this LEGALLY, as it's been mentioned that IF someone were to knock on my door with a warrant during the hour I would be hack-sawing a barrel down, it could end up being a very interesting decade.

Thoughs, opinions, and or waffles are welcome. :ingo:

I have one of these that I would loan you. They do a heck of a good job.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xpzv1Spsnk[/ame]

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So, do you have a lathe? Because there is no way you can do it with hand tools and do a better job than a gunsmith centering off your bore in a lathe.
    11 degree crown is fine for a target rifle, but really, an AK is not what I consider target grade, so go with a standard round crown.
    Also know that when trying to start a die on a barrel WITHOUT the proper equipment is not easy- Here there be Dragons!- and this can result in cosmetic flaws or even a trashed barrel. And a "die starter" (threaded stub shaft) is not as simple to use as it seems.

:orly:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have that Manson tool and it has done a fantastic job on somewhere around a dozen barrels. It grinds rather than cuts thus eliminating the chatter associated with similar tools.

Rifles that 'don't group' can often be had at steep discounts. Of causes not related to owner incompetency in assembly, equipment choice, and shooting technique, bad crowns lead the pack.

No .308" pilot though.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have that Manson tool and it has done a fantastic job on somewhere around a dozen barrels. It grinds rather than cuts thus eliminating the chatter associated with similar tools.

Rifles that 'don't group' can often be had at steep discounts. Of causes not related to owner incompetency in assembly, equipment choice, and shooting technique, bad crowns lead the pack.

No .308" pilot though.

A nicked up crown is a accuracy killer no doubt. I hated buying mine as they are pricey. But it seemed I was always needing one. They do an amazing job IMO.

I am also sold on the idea that short barrels are the stuff. All my bolt guns have been cut down to 20" No more front heavy bolt guns here.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana

Appreciate the input! I've managed to do pretty well so far on a limited budget and a lot of creativity/sweat/frustration/re-do's/then finally get it right.

If all hell breaks loose and I totally bugger it up, I can always get another barrel and re-try. :dunno: I'd rather depend on myself and get as much input/help from those around me.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. :)

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    A nicked up crown is a accuracy killer no doubt. I hated buying mine as they are pricey. But it seemed I was always needing one. They do an amazing job IMO.

I am also sold on the idea that short barrels are the stuff. All my bolt guns have been cut down to 20" No more front heavy bolt guns here.

Balance is a necessity.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Appreciate the input! I've managed to do pretty well so far on a limited budget and a lot of creativity/sweat/frustration/re-do's/then finally get it right.

If all hell breaks loose and I totally bugger it up, I can always get another barrel and re-try. :dunno: I'd rather depend on myself and get as much input/help from those around me.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. :)

I am with you too. I did a detachable mag system on one of my bolt guns with a dremel, files and a fair amount of Devcon. It ended up turning out great but man was it a PITA. Next time I will have it done on a mill. But it was a learning experience just the same.

Top Bottom