• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So I've been to Alaska twice in the last couple years and I'm always trying to find ways to get back up there. The next trips I've got in mind are farther out into the wilderness and more wild. In the past I've made due with bear spray for a lot of reasons I don't like, but logistically it's just easier to go that route. In the future with the trips I've got in mind I think an actual firearm would make more sense. The guns are bought so all that's decided, M&P10mm & mossberg 590a1 12ga. I'm curious on which pistol round for the 10mm. I always hear about hard cast or monolithic bullets for heavy bones dangerous game, and I keep thinking why not full metal jacket bullets if the concept is to punch deep and keep the bullet together? What really got me thinking about that was tonight I shots some steel slugs to see how they handled, and a box of 10mm FMJ's from S&B and they actually shot really well. I'm just curious if anyone here knows anything about that kind of debate or has done similar trips. My intent is not to shoot an animal with anything besides a camera, but I don't want to be dinner either.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I've read about Buffalo Bore and G9 Defense. G9 Defense uses a solid copper bullet at @1400 per sec out of 10mm. The article I read was impressive. But I can't find it now to link.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So I've been to Alaska twice in the last couple years and I'm always trying to find ways to get back up there. The next trips I've got in mind are farther out into the wilderness and more wild. In the past I've made due with bear spray for a lot of reasons I don't like, but logistically it's just easier to go that route. In the future with the trips I've got in mind I think an actual firearm would make more sense. The guns are bought so all that's decided, M&P10mm & mossberg 590a1 12ga. I'm curious on which pistol round for the 10mm. I always hear about hard cast or monolithic bullets for heavy bones dangerous game, and I keep thinking why not full metal jacket bullets if the concept is to punch deep and keep the bullet together? What really got me thinking about that was tonight I shots some steel slugs to see how they handled, and a box of 10mm FMJ's from S&B and they actually shot really well. I'm just curious if anyone here knows anything about that kind of debate or has done similar trips. My intent is not to shoot an animal with anything besides a camera, but I don't want to be dinner either.

Have you ever come across a bear?

Shooter5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    No, thank God. Read a lot of reviews. S&B and many of the brands of 10 mm are not full power. LeHigh Defense and Underwood make ammo just for such purposes. They have been used in- real world- experiences. Expensive, reliable and designed for bears, large predators.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I always hear about hard cast or monolithic bullets for heavy bones dangerous game, and I keep thinking why not full metal jacket bullets if the concept is to punch deep and keep the bullet together?

BLUF: Hardcast/monolithic SWC in heavy for caliber weight that your gun is proven to feed 100% reliably.

Longer answer:

In general, FMJ is not bonded as it's designed for economy and not terminal ballistics. The auto glass test in the FBI battery is a good analogy for bone strikes and in both testing and real world use you see FMJ shed the jacket at first contact and the soft lead inside deform and/or fragment. It simply doesn't hold together very well, dramatically reducing penetration.

Monolithic bullets obviously have no jacket to shed and as long as it's a hard enough alloy it will resist fragmenting and deformation. The retained mass means more penetration, as heavier things keep more momentum than lighter things (one big bullet chunk goes deeper than two half a big bullet chunks, etc. If penetration is the desired attribute, any deformation is bad. A bullet that's still bullet shaped vs mushroom shaped has less frontal surface area, meaning less drag, meaning more penetration.

Finally, bullet shape matters. Round nose ammo will skip off skulls easier and ride ribs easier, though if the bear is on all 4s ribs aren't the concern they are against human targets. With a semi-auto you're obviously limited to shapes the gun will reliable feed, but most guns will take semi-wadcutters ok. A sharp-shouldered SWC will "bite" and penetrate at angles a round nose bullet would skip, making a decent hit into a now peripheral hit.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I hit a deer straight down from a treestand w SWC 255gr loaded hot in .44 mag SBH. Hit was on rib and up near spine. That bullet deflected at a pretty steep angle back. I dug in the ground and never did find it ( bummer).

Shocked me it didnt range through on line.

Top Bottom