• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My future Son-In-Law posed a question to me today that I could only hazard my suspicions and suggestions. I told him I would ask some folks who were more in the know than I, so here it is.

Michael (my almost SIL) wants to replace the handle(s) on a few of the fixed bladed knives that he has with bone and/or antler that he already possess. His question is this:

(He wants to make one piece handles)

What is the best method for hollowing out a channel in the antler to accept the tang of the blade?

I suggested a Mill (which he doesn't have access to) or drilling a series of holes to depth side by side then smoothing and shaping it with a small flat file. Am I off the mark or close?

Where would he be able to obtain new brass rivets to secure the new handles?

Thanks

Steve

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I have used .22lr shells. Just cut the primer end off so both ends are open. Then I use brazing rods inside the shell to create a pattern.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    You are on the right track with drilling a series of holes then guttering them out. The Bump Broach is a GREAT tool to have but if your like me, a $75 tool is not in the budget.
    Normally what you would do is: draw your crosshairs on the piece to be reamed out. Find the center point. This is where you will start. Find the thickness of your blade and take
    the next size drill bit up to use. After finding your center point, you will take the drill bit one up and one down (depending on the size of the tangs width and depth). You will mark
    the outside of the material on where the pin will fit through. I use brass or steel rods but many will buy either Corby and/or Loveless style rivets. Your choice on looks.
    I have included a few links to some of the best makers out there and how I learned to do it. You can see my last full tang knife in the thread "East vs West" and see my WIP.
    Remember, when peening any type of bone, antler, etc. NOT to peen too tight as it will tend to splinter or even crack. Good Luck and hope these links help you, Troy

Making a full tang with step by step
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7G1Ne8BHU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL81Yw0Spr8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvFPZQY2aw0

Specific for antler:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblDeJQAIGM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs5KvXMCJ_M
    Some use pin and others don't, again, your choice. Just make sure that you use high end epoxy like JB Weld, Aquaglass, or West Systems.
    (Don't use fast epoxy, use longest set time possible and clamp for 24 hrs)

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    I just wanted to help out a little bit further. I emailed a well known and respected knife craftsman and asked him for more friendly advise
    about your handle (and one that I am doing as well). Even though youtube has countless videos on this, I wanted a version that I could
    print off and take to my shop and have next to me. He has been kind and put it on his website along with some other tutorials that he
    has done. I hope this further info will help everyone that is interested or wants to build their own knives.
    Ray Rogers Handcrafted Knives

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    PoolQs pretty much covered it all here. I've only got experience doing full tang sandwiched scales, but that is how I would try tackling the problem.

i would suggest practicing on a block of wood or two before doing the bone, just to have some added confidence and to lower the chance of scrapping the material.

Hope he has a good time with it!

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    The smell of cutting antlers down is one you won't forget. My bandsaw stunk like a dentist drilling teeth for quite awhile.

...try smoothing and shaping antlers on a belt grinder. That will make you appreciate fresh air.

To the OP:

There is another option for fitting a knife tang into deer antler. After shaping the tang to the required shape to fit the antler you are going to use...heat the tang to red hot and force it into the antler. I suggest that the tang be no more than 2 1/2" long. Re-heating the tang may be required, and the antler should be secured so that it does not move.

Stink factor score on a scale of one to five. 5

Top Bottom