• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    We had Bright House TV and internet cable service for several years. Wife worked at home, had a business account, and we never had any problems with the service. Wife is now retired and we needed to cancel business account and go with standard home account. Was informed I had to switch over to a new Spectrum account.

At this point I am very disappointed in the service. Complaints are mostly with TV. Frequent video and audio problems. Video feed gets pixelated/distorted, or screen goes black. Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for several seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. Audio gets broken up or no sound. Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes a lot longer. Sometimes audio and video errors happen at the same time, sometimes just one but not the other. Some channels seem more susceptible, some are basically not watchable.

With the internet service, the transfer speed is nowhere near what I expected, but it does work and so far seems reliable.

My purpose for this post is to inquire is anyone else having same/similar problems? Is this what I can expect from Spectrum? If so, how can they stay in business?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have you run a speed test to make sure you are getting the speeds you are paying for?

Now that everything is digital, 100% of the signal is IP based, and slow speeds or other issues can be a root cause of the issues you are seeing. And if there are modem/wiring faults, that would impact EVERYTHING. But simply switching account types and reprovisioning the service shouldnt cause problems. Have you called tech support to troubleshoot?

Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test . (if you have >25mb cable, make sure you are using a wired Ethernet connection into the router, not wireless as that could negatively affect your results)

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Getting 50Mbps. Was expecting more like 100. That is what we had with the previous business account. Everything is hardwired.

Main complaints deal with TV. Have not dealt with tech support yet. Wondered if others were having same/similar problems.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I recently fired Spectrum/Brighthouse. Similar issues you describe. I also have a home office, and REQUIRE stable internet. It would drop, only for a moment, but drop completely every hour or so. Impacted out phones (over their internet), and the TV would pixelate and stutter during the outage as well. Completely unusable for me. Spectrum sent folks out every week or so. Couldn't fix it, as they could never find the problem. I could demonstrate, and even show them my system logs. They shrugged their shoulders.

Download speeds were fantastic in between outages. Steady 45 Mb down, and about 7 Mb up.

I switched to ATT U-Verse. So far, so good. Slower speeds @ 25 / 5, but rock solid connectivity. Never even a blip.

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the response. Suspected I was not the only one. What is really frustrating is how good the service was before the switch. Now, it is really bad.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Getting 50Mbps. Was expecting more like 100. That is what we had with the previous business account. Everything is hardwired.

Main complaints deal with TV. Have not dealt with tech support yet. Wondered if others were having same/similar problems.

You literally get what you pay for with cable. They throttle your speed at the modem based on your data plan's speed. Check your bill. If you are paying for 50, you're good. If you're paying for 100 they screwed up your modem's provisioning and need to re provision it for the correct speeds.

But as to the TV, that too is data. (why every TV needs a set top box now) That could also be showing insight into overall data delivery issues.

Either way I'd call support.

Top Bottom