• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    What's the going rate farmers pay per acre, to lease land to grow crops?

I never thought about it much, until the crop disaster this year with the drought.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Depends. Some leases are for cash rent. Some are based on a percentage of the yield. Some are a combination of the the two. Some require the owner to share the expenses, seed, fertilizer, irrigation, ect. Location, soil quality, field size, and other variables will affect cost as well. The last lease that I signed is for $110.00 per acre + a percentage of yield, but YMMV.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    it depends on how good the ground is. here in union county ive seen ground (cash rent) go for 100 dolars a acre and ive seen ground less than 1 mile away go for 275 a acre

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What's the going rate farmers pay per acre, to lease land to grow crops?

I never thought about it much, until the crop disaster this year with the drought.

Depends....
    Anywhere from $150/acre up to $450/acre.
    Bought the best answer I can give without knowing more details.

Some farms pay cash leases, some share crop with the land owners, some pay out a % of the harvested crop. Also depends one the quality of the land and the crops being planted as well. Note to mention how much competition there is in. that area for rental ground.

ashlynsdaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    i have a 60/40 arrangement with the guy who farms my ground. I got just under 300. per acre this year. would have been better if i hadn't contracted have of my yield for 12.60 on beans earlier this year

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I know this is a dumb question. But are y'all talking about lease prices based on a per month basis?

No. That's per acre per year.

Here is a link to the most recent Purdue report. While real estate is location x 3, the report is a good survey and general indicator.

http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/extension/pubs/paer/pdf/PAER8_2012.pdf

Excerpt:

State-wide Rents
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]There were also strong increases in the 2012 cash rent. The increase was the largest for top quality land at $35 per acre. Rents for average and poor quality land increased $26 and $18 per acre, respectively. The estimated cash rent was $265 per acre on top quality land, $208 per acre on average quality land, and $159 per acre on poor quality land (Table 2).
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I pay from 190-300 an acre. There is a farmer around here paying 400 and up. Really depends on soil type location and also fertility plays a role too.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Hmmmmmmm...

Would you mind swearing fealty to me? We might even be able to find you a position in the Realms with thinking like that....

Sorry for the delay, I had to google "fealty." Yes, I pledge allegiance to the jeremy, for which he stands...with liberty and pancakes for all. I'd like a position with a decent amount of authority, but not much responsibility.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Are you up for considering treaties with the independent republic of Tranquilistan? We prefer to remain neutral.
    Hmmm....

I am sure we might be able to work something out. Does your Neutrality extend to trade as well?!
    Sorry for the delay, I had to google "fealty." Yes, I pledge allegiance to the jeremy, for which he stands...with liberty and pancakes for all. I'd like a position with a decent amount of authority, but not much responsibility.
    I will have Baron, Count and Earl Positions open...

Top Bottom