• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a good friend who's son is living in Indy and is attending med school there. What areas of the city should he avoid, it's my understanding that some areas have become more crime ridden of late.

thanks

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm assuming he's attending downtown. There are bad guys everywhere, he just needs to keep his situational awareness up everywhere he goes. That goes for any city, not just Indy.
    bad stuff can happen anywhere, any time!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Near east side and an area called Haughville. Those are the two biggest I am aware of. The INGO LEOs will be in shortly to provide more clarity...

Generally speaking, the IUPUI area and general downtown (business areas, not residential) are not THAT bad overall. It's once you get out into the downtown residential housing areas that it tends to get dicey.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Near east side and an area called Haughville. Those are the two biggest I am aware of. The INGO LEOs will be in shortly to provide more clarity...

Generally speaking, the IUPUI area and general downtown (business areas, not residential) are not THAT bad overall. It's once you get out into the downtown residential housing areas that it tends to get dicey.
    These are my thoughts as well.:twocents:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Stay north of 56th Street or south of Raymond Street, west of Lynhurst and east of Shadeland. That ought to minimize the potential for problems. Downtown generally pretty safe for six blocks in any direction of monument circle.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    I have a good friend who's son is living in Indy and is attending med school there. What areas of the city should he avoid, it's my understanding that some areas have become more crime ridden of late.

thanks
    The list of places (city wide) is long. Given a better idea of where he'll be living, I could better craft the list. I work just north of IUPUI, and over the last couple years student housing has been spreading north into areas that were horrible just a few years ago. The result was that we now have some odd demographic distributions in the southern most portion of my AO. Like students living in houses one street (maybe 100 yards) south of Section 8 crap holes.

If your uncomfortable posting information about where he'll be living on the open forum, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help. If you're just asking a general question about Indy, then okay.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Phylodog is close.
    It is easy to see where to and not to go in any city. There are so many apartment complexes that hold enough section 8 to ruin areas. POS free loaders that have nothing but time to look for trouble.
    Tell him to watch the news. That will help him define some boundry's

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Personally, I would avoid anywhere inside the 465 loop.

:rolleyes:

I've managed just fine for 15 years inside the 465 loop.

Best advice is to have him pay attention to his surroundings. If it looks bad, it generally is bad.

yes there are bad areas, there are also a lot of good pockets inside the loop too.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN

Best advice is to have him pay attention to his surroundings. If it looks bad, it generally is bad.

yes there are bad areas, there are also a lot of good pockets inside the loop too.

Me too, for years. Robbed once, downtown near work and before I had a scintilla of situational awareness and knowledge of what to do. :ugh: I believe that I would have easily avoided the situation today.

I would add that it is often a function of time of day/night, as well as place, when it comes to avoidance.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville

Never said one couldn't, just that I personally wouldn't.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Im a born and raised country boy. I have been around the world, and in some pretty dicey areas throughout, but Indy inside the loop before sunup makes my skin crawl just a bit. I have worked 3rds inside the area known to some as the Swamp, and lived to move on to the next job, but I think the majority of that is situational awareness, and not putting yourself in a position of vulnerability.

I have a friend that has a son living in Irvington, and while its not the best area, he has been there for several years without any major incident to speak of. For the most part, dont go looking for trouble, and it wont find you. If something looks fishy, get out of Dodge.

Giving in to the thugs and criminals only makes them grow more bold, and willing to branch out. Keeping them in check, and not letting them dictate our lives will, for the most part, at least keep them contained to their own little zoos.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

+1 Execpt, Haughville is the near west side not the east. The near east side is affectionally refered to as the swamp by the local police officers. Both areas are good to avoid. I live in the Haughville area. I never step outside my house without a gun on my hip and I never answer the door without a gun in my hand.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If he's in medical school, he won't have time to venture much farther than the library and school, anyway. By the way, tell him to stay in the medical library and to not take up room in the law school's library!

Top Bottom