• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    First, it was not me who raged on the road. I was a victim at the end of the following encounter.

Was making my way back home headed Northbound on IN-39 through Lebanon at the intersection of I-65 NB/SB exits. As soon as you reach city limits off of the overpass you reach a 30 MPH speed limit. I was going 30MPH as I reached the sign; however, the Burgundy/Reddish Honda Odyssey in front of me decided to brake check me something fierce. I had to slam on my brakes, ABS engaged (and I almost hit them). I wrote it off as student driver, or some other unknown circumstance .

Proceeding up Northbound 39, in front of the Hardee's there in Lebanon the person does it AGAIN. And at this point I'm pissed, I flashed my lights at them which then prompted them to go only 20MPH in the 30MPH speed limit zone; choking up not only me but also 4+ vehicles behind me. Being that I don't like other drivers to think I'm the issue, I hugged the right hand side of the road to at least let the other drivers visually see I was not the idiot tying them up in traffic.

After painstakingly driving 10MPH below the speed limit we approached the intersection of 39 & Camp St. (Walgreens Pharmacy) where the Odyssey turned on their left turn signal. Annoyed, I proceed within my lane to the speed limit where I'm confronted by a SPEEDWAY SLUSHY! The passenger window was down on the persons' vehicle that I did notice, and did visually look inside the vehicle as I was passing by to try to see who it was and if I might have known them as I'm a Lebanon native. No cigar, as soon as I was able to tell that I could see NOBODY in the front seats (assuming they were slouched down to avoid being seen), and next thing I know I'm smelling cherry gas station slushy on my windshield, and wiping it off with my windshield wipers.

I was wearing a brand new gun on me at the time, and sure I was a little mad but the primary reason I didn't pursue to follow them and discuss their seemingly psychotic tendencies, was because I was wearing a gun. I'm not nervous about carrying in public, but more like this driver HAD to of felt threatened somehow by me to do such an ass of a stunt, only god knows how it would have progressed if they saw me get out of my car with a gun on my hip.

My questions on this are:
    I memorized key characteristics about the vehicle, namely the sticker in the lower right hand side of their rear window is a preschool/daycare I know of personally, the sticker was green in color. And I know the approximate year (by knowing the body style) and color of the vehicle. Is it too late to contact authorities? More than anything else, I'd much rather they not do this to other people. Who's to say that the next person they do it to won't be a psychotic nutjob who shouldn't be in possession of a gun? I see no good from THAT scenario.

:rolleyes:

Any input is appreciated. Before any might ask, I'll go ahead and cover now: I was allowing plenty of safe and respectable distance between me and the other vehicle (I didn’t hit them, after all J). I drive an SUV who is very gas hungry, and on take-offs they were calm and gentle on the accelerator.

Plus, my vehicle now has 5 deep scratches in it from somebody's angry slushy (Hey, guns kill people, so in turn slushies cause cuts).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Since it looks like this was posted before 6:30 this morning, were you driving with your high beams on?

But to answer your question, if you feel like its worth pursuing, I'd call about filing a report. They won't do anything, in all likelihood but if it should happen again by the same driver it might come in handy.:dunno:

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Nope no high beams, the high beams were temporarily flashed at them to try to "wake them up" in a sense. This occurred last night at around 19:45, I am only able to post about it now being at work the next morning.

I didn't feel like police would be able to do anything with it as there's no way to prove what's already been done, but I suppose you make a grand point with filing a report in case the driver does it again in the future; at least then the police would have something to help weigh the legitimacy of a claim against the driver of the van.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Face this a lot here in the city. Weekly run ins with those who are pissed at the world and feel they are in control once behind the wheel and anonymous.
    You showed great restraint as I have lost my temper more than a few times over Mr. and Mrs. break check. To confront them is a waste of time. You can not fix stupid. There are scammers that will set you up for rear enders for insurance fraud but this just sounds like an A$$ hat.
    LEO will do nothing about this.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Thanks guys :-). I'll just personally remember to avoid riding behind the person in the future. I won't be pursuing any LEO contact, you both have already confirmed what I thought.

I got the answer I needed, but will still read the thread & see if anybody else has similar stories :)

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    It seems to me if they brake checked you and you almost hit them, you were following to close. I would of tried to get a licensee plate number after the incident and called the police. I would assume its to late to report it now especially with just a description of the vehicle.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I drive a full size truck, slightly lifted, and in the winter its complimented with a big snow blade. Road rage is something I dont encounter.....

As far as turning it in, you are likely wasting your time.

When you have drivers like this, give em a little space. You are picking a fight with a fool, what are you really going to win?

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Not quoting multiple posters (not good at it :D) so I'll just make the comment on my own post:

I was absolutely NOT tailgaiting. I almost hit them because I wasn't expecting brake checks, therefore when I saw their brake lights I didn't assume they would be performing a complete stop, and I had hesitation in the full pressure application of my brake pedal. This was the first brake check. The second time I did not come close to hitting them, because I was prepared for it.

Sufficient to say, if I was following too close, I would have been filing insurance paperwork last night. Namely because I'm driving a decently heavy vehicle that doesn't exactly stop on a dime.

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Remember what the vehicle looks like and if you ever see it again, stay well away from it - like 50 to 100 yards away.
    These kinds of people are to be avoided.
    If you had confronted them or if you report them to the police, they will likely claim you were following too closely, tried to run them off the road, and threatened to kill them.
    Do not expect people like these to tell the truth.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Remember what the vehicle looks like and if you ever see it again, stay well away from it - like 50 to 100 yards away.
    These kinds of people are to be avoided.
    If you had confronted them or if you report them to the police, they will likely claim you were following too closely, tried to run them off the road, and threatened to kill them.
    Do not expect people like these to tell the truth.

We think the same way my friend :)

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Not quoting multiple posters (not good at it :D) so I'll just make the comment on my own post:

I was absolutely NOT tailgaiting. I almost hit them because I wasn't expecting brake checks, therefore when I saw their brake lights I didn't assume they would be performing a complete stop, and I had hesitation in the full pressure application of my brake pedal. This was the first brake check. The second time I did not come close to hitting them, because I was prepared for it.

Sufficient to say, if I was following too close, I would have been filing insurance paperwork last night. Namely because I'm driving a decently heavy vehicle that doesn't exactly stop on a dime.

Dont know if any of that is directed at me, but let me clarify my previous statement. I wasnt trying to say you were instigating the situation by following too closely, etc... What I was geting at is, just give the douchebag some room, and avoid the situation. Much easier in the long run, and you dont have to wash slushy off your car.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    I call those drivers in as a possible drunk driver. let the cops handle them. then mention threw a slushie out the window, while you're on the phone with dispatch. at least they'd get a ticket for littering.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I call those drivers in as a possible drunk driver. let the cops handle them. then mention threw a slushie out the window, while you're on the phone with dispatch. at least they'd get a ticket for littering.

Good point.
    My son was pulled over for driving unusually slow one rainy night (poor visibility). The officer said driving well below the speed limit is often an indication of impaired driving. The driver certainly showed poor judgement and inappropriate impulse control.

Dispatch: "911, what is your emergency?"
    Driver: "I'm following what appears to be a drunk driver. He's driving very slowly and has traffic backed up for 'I don't know how far' behind him. Please send an officer to check him out; I'm afraid he'll cause a wreck."

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    OP, it sounds to me like you were driving too close to the car in front of you. People's definition of "too close" varies a lot. Good job on not escalating the situation though.

I had someone do this to me on my way to work 6am Monday morning at off ramp of I-70E to Shadeland Ave. I drive a small car and the SUV behind me was tailgating me for a mile on the highway and I had to break for a semi in front of me. The guy almost slammed into my car but instead swerved around the driver side and tried to run me off the road by swerving at me again. Crazies.

Anyways, I like to go the speed limit. If someone doesn't like it they either pass me or tailgate. If they tailgate I just take my foot off the gas and slow down gradually. I view brake checking as trying to cause an accident and that's just not right.

Last edited:

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Dont know if any of that is directed at me, but let me clarify my previous statement. I wasnt trying to say you were instigating the situation by following too closely, etc... What I was geting at is, just give the douchebag some room, and avoid the situation. Much easier in the long run, and you dont have to wash slushy off your car.

Hey man you're fine! I wasn't trying to come off as butthurt or anything :). INGO are my family man, some of you may get me angry at times but that's what family does :cool:

OP, it sounds to me like you were driving too close to the car in front of you. People's definition of "too close" varies a lot. Good job on not escalating the situation though.

You really could be right, I could have been. But I know I could have fit a Ford Taurus between us with ease, with plenty of room for another vehicle. My main reason for never intentionally tailgaiting someone is because I've got two kids that I usually have in my car, and I get tailgated all the time. Drives me through the ROOF!

The reason I will not just reply and say "NO You're wrong I wasn't tailgating" to this is because well, essentially everybody has their own different opinion on tailgaiting (Just as you said with "too close" varying a lot between different people). In my defense: to dull down the situation I made the special purpose to increase distance between us and it still resolved nothing. I think I may have mentioned it in the OP, but I do work at a call center and I've been known to write jumbled posts in the past :). Multitasking isn't always too kind to me

Last edited:
    Top Bottom