• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    You don't say what kind of shooting you do. You also don't say how much ammo you go through in a year. The precision of most presses is plenty good enough for the shooting most people do. Definitely good enough for me. If you shoot a lot and don't have a ton of time to devote to reloading, a progressive is the only way to go. It may also be worth considering whether you will enjoy the process or if its just a means to an end. If the latter, your time may be even more valuable. For some people, reloading seems to become a hobby in itself.

Here is a thread about my first attempts at reloading. I went on the more extreme end. I'm not advocating you do what I did, but maybe some of the discussion could be helpful.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...umped-deep-end-dillon-1050-a.html#post5946257

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My considerations and thoughts are:

1) I can't afford to buy this, that, and the other. I can afford one setup, so I have to make the one purchase count as much as possible. I need a balance between speed and price. I don't see myself needing to upgrade to a progressive.

2) The main reason I want to reload is so that I can shoot my pistols more; .45 ain't exactly cheap to stock up on. I know I'll be spending the same money, but I feel that I'll get more out of that money.

3) I want to be able to have enough ammo on hand that I can go shoot and not feel bad about digging into my stash. I can find more time to shoot but I can't always find the money for ammo.

4) I have horrible luck when it comes to mechanical things. The more die changing, the more chance for a headache. I could more easily change calibers by just changing a disk.

5) To me it seems like it would be faster to fully process a case with one trip through the press versus doing 50 cases with one die, doing them again with another die, and so on.

Dude go with a 550. You can buy other tool heads so when you get a caliber set up you just leave it. Assuming you are not changing up what you are using to load, i.e. powder and projectiles then you can set it once and you are done... If you want to change calibers you can do it quickly and easily. You can buy a caliber conversation kit when the time comes to start loading other things and then you never have to change anything with the dies ever. Caliber changes take less than 5 minutes. I had mine set up for 9mm for for months and switched to 300blk for about a month and back to 9mm. Each time it was super easy and simple. After the initial set all I've done is some measuring to be sure and mainly just checking powder charge which has also been spot on.

I think it's what you are looking for I really do. Hit up bobcat steel if you want to go see one for yourself. He can set you up with everything you need too if that's what you want.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The kind of shooting I currently do...you guys would laugh at the round count this year, it makes me cry. I'm so broke that what ammo I have has to last.

My goal is to have about a case or so on hand of my major calibers (.45, 5.56, and .308) and I'd like to aim for shooting at least every weekend, if not a little through the week as well. I'd also like to make my own defensive loads instead of spending close to $1/rd and it would be nice to be able to practice with them.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I started on a single stage, mainly do to budget. Wound up buying an RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser. Which sped up my reloading quite a bit. If you use quick change bushings, you can set your die, and swap your dies in a couple of seconds. Reloading on a single stage was good experience. I recently upgraded to a Dillon 550B. I shoot competition, and the single stage was too slow, when shooting a match every weekend. The rounds are just as accurate and consistent as when loading on a single stage. Rather if loading on a single stage, or a progressive, take your time and pay attention. You may spend a lot up front on equipment. If you shoot a lot though, you will pay it off quickley. That's my experience.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The kind of shooting I currently do...you guys would laugh at the round count this year, it makes me cry. I'm so broke that what ammo I have has to last.

My goal is to have about a case or so on hand of my major calibers (.45, 5.56, and .308) and I'd like to aim for shooting at least every weekend, if not a little through the week as well. I'd also like to make my own defensive loads instead of spending close to $1/rd and it would be nice to be able to practice with them.

From what you have described, provided you have some spare time and find you enjoy the process of reloading, the Lee Classic Turret would be perfect. At the same time, reloading and shooting "at least every weekend", while being "so broke" you have to make your ammo last makes me wonder if there is a good answer to your dilemma. You make it sound like you want to shoot more for the same amount of money you have been spending on factory ammo. If that is an accurate statement, then the LCT is the cost-effective tool for you to buy.

If you really can't afford to shoot, period, I'm not sure how much reloading is going to help. Most guys will tell you that you never really "save money" by reloading...you just get to shoot quite a bit more.

I should also add that if you have, "horrible luck when it comes to mechanical things", reloading may not be the best hobby for you. :)

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Buy once, cry once...... Buy a Lee and someday when you aren't in financial straights, you will outgrow it, buy a Dillion and let your Lee gather dust or use it only for precision rifle ammo. Go buy a Dillion now and you will use it for your entire life and then your kids will use it for their entire lives. There customer service has no equal, the tech dept WILL fix all your problems over the phone. Never pay to replace a part that you broke or lost. David Tubb has won like 30 National Highpower Championships loading his ammo on a Dillion 550, so Id guess its accurate enough. The UK National Highpower champ loads on one too. Buy a 550 and be ahead of the game for life, if you regret it, resell it at a $20 loss because those things never drop much in value.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Go with a 550 and don't look back. My 1st (and only) press was a 550B. I bought it in 1994. I initially bought it because I was shooting a .45 in USPSA and needed a lot of ammo. Since then I have loaded everything from .38 Special to 45-70 including a .358 wildcat. Don't buy into the comments here about needing a single stage press to load accurate loads. I am able to load sub .5 moa rifle loads on this press.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Ruffnek
    I believe I met you once at the exhaust shop in Bloomington . I think we live
    close to one another. Whatever press you decide to go with I'm willing to help you set it up and get it going.
    my son and I shoot a lot of rounds so I jumped right into a 650. Fellow shooters that I met here on INGO
    helped me fine tune my press, So I'm here to pay forward the trading they gave me.
    let me know if you need any help.
    sincerely Brian

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Ruffnek
    close to one another. Whatever press you decide to go with I'm willing to help you set it up and get it going.
    my son and I shoot a lot of rounds so I jumped right into a 650. Fellow shooters that I met here on INGO
    helped me fine tune my press, So I'm here to pay forward the trading they gave me.
    sincerely Brian

Hey man, great to hear from you. As soon as the tax check comes through I'll probably be in the market. I may come over and see your setup if that's cool. Thanks for the offer, I'll most likely have you come over and help get my dies set up right when I get to that stage.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    If you aren't shooting 1000+ rounds a year, there is nothing wrong with the Lee Turret. It will serve you just fine.

If you start getting into more than a thousand or two, a 550 would be your ticket. With not shooting a high volume of any one caliber, a 550 will be a lot cheaper than a 650.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    For most people I would recommend a single stage press for getting into reloading. It helps to understand the purpose of every step, so if or when you move up to a progressive you have a better idea of what is supposed to be happening. I am too much of a control freak though and refuse to get into a progressive where I don't personally have hands on every step. I only load 10-15k per year though, so I just do things in batches.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The more I think about it, the more attractive a 650 becomes. I need to make the most of my reloading time, which is why I ruled out a single stage. If I could set it once and be done, checking every X number of rounds, I could maximize my time.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ruffnek
    sincerely Brian

You, cannot beat an offer like this .....

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Ruffneck,
    Sounds like you are doing your research before buying. That's good. When you ask about getting into reloading and what type of press to buy, I kind of liken it to asking someone, "What type of car should I buy?"
    A Chevette will get you to work and back home. A Silverado pickup will do the same thing and allow you to haul and tow things on the weekend. A Corvette will get you to work, get some extra attention from the admirers and maybe the police. Lol
    Here is my personal experience. I started reloading 25+ years ago. Ammo was fairly cheap back then but I knew I could still save money and thus shoot more. I researched and decided to buy a Dillon 550. I too, started slow with the setup and operation. Didn't take long to get proficient with it. I already understood the principles and steps of reloading ammunition because I had read several books on the subject and several reloading manuals where already in my library.
    You can run a single round through the stations of a 550 and pay attention to what is going on at each station. With the basic machine and taking my time, I was easily able to produce 300-350 rounds per hour. Now, I can produce around 450 an hour. Still no race. I pay attention to what's going on. You'll never look at your press and wish that you had loaded less ammo.
    With the 550 caliber changes are quick and painless. The cost to change calibers with a 550 are reasonable, compared to the 650.
    As mentioned, Dillon's warranty is top notch and things rarely break. When they do, call Dillon and they'll have you back up and running with no, to very little cost.
    Add to that the awesome knowledge base, here on INGO and there really is no reason your press would be down more than a few days.

P.S. about the accurate ammo on a progressive press comments....
    I used to shoot a Ruger 77 MKII VBZ in .308 Winchester. Loaded my ammo on my 550. Wasn't doing anything special to the rounds. No neck turning, no primer pocket reaming, no sorting cases, nothing. Stuffing primers, dumping powder and topping with bullets. Was able to shoot four inch groups at 600 yards and minute of angle at 1000 yards.

Last edited:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have been loading since the late 70's I bought my 550 the first year it came out. Dillon has basically rebuilt that press over the years for free. I still havemy old RCBS single stage that I use on a regular basis. The 3 calibers that you listed the 45 and 308 will use the same shell plate and the 556 will use another so you will only need 2 shell plates. The tool heads are not that much you can set them up and be good to go. I have a dedicated tool head for my sizing dies for 223 and another for other rifle I size them then trim them then leave the sizing die out of the tool head when loading at station 1. It may look like alot of money at first but you will save about 50% on the calibers that you are wanting to load. I buy my bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading the pulled bullets shoot fine. I run plated bullets in my 45. Either way you go you will save some money the key is to buy your components in bulk and it sounds like that is your plan. I would buy another Dillon if I needed a press they have treated me well over the years.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    The Lee classic turret is always my recommendation for a first press. It also makes a great second press. It was actually my third press. I think a lot of people get talked into buying the blue stuff because it's "the best". I don't think they're the best for every person, especially if cost is a factor.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I really do like the Dillon line of presses, but cost is a factor. The Lee would, in my opinion, be cheaper to do what I want. My plan is a shell plate for each caliber so that all I have to do is change it and not worry about resetting my dies all the time.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I really do like the Dillon line of presses, but cost is a factor. The Lee would, in my opinion, be cheaper to do what I want. My plan is a shell plate for each caliber so that all I have to do is change it and not worry about resetting my dies all the time.

For what you have described, the Lee Classic Turret is where you should start...and unless you start shooting a lot more, will be the right tool for you, long term.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Seems that way.

While I cannot recommend the 650 strongly enough, I understand your situation. The first 3 years I reloaded, I used a Lee Pro 1000. I loaded over 20k rounds of 9mm on it. They require a bit more tinkering to work right, but you can have an auto-indexing progressive press in the caliber of your choice out the door for under $200.

Having loaded on both, I can say the Dillion is by far the better machine, but the Lee will produce decent ammo at a relatively fast pace once you get in the groove.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/351321/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-45-acp

I highly recommend spending $10 more for the case collator. It works surprisingly well for the simple design.

Top Bottom