• ...and so much more!
  • -Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Greetings,

I was given an old Kessler Arms model 228 FR 16ga bolt action by my grandfather. Built somewhere between '51 and '53. It's a clean gun, but sat untouched for decades. I just field stripped it, cleaned it up, and lubricated it, and now I wouldn't mind shooting some clays with it.

Is there any reason she wouldn't be safe to shoot with run of the mill Federal hi-brass lead 1-1/8 ounce #6 loads?

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I've got my grand fathers Mossberg 16GA that is bolt action. I took it trap shooting a couple weeks ago and not one clay broke or even chipped. I was using Remington game loads in 7shot. Knowing that I'm not THAT terrible at trap shooting I used my wifes Mossberg 500 20GA with 8 shot, and the clays starting breaking.

I received mine in much the same shape you got yours. I knew it hadn't been fired in 20+ years. I tested the first round by finding a decent sized tree, reached around the tree, pointed the barrel at the ground and fired. Recoil is light with that gun and I figured it was better to loose a finger if something went bad. I hope grandpas shotgun brings you joy.

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Thanks for the replies. I fired the first shell in a similar manner, just to be safe. Then, it proceeded to break the first 3 or 4 clays it saw before missing. The gun felt awesome...better than expected for a 60 year old gun worth maybe $100. Goes to show that cash value doesn't always mean much.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom