• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    I'm looking to FINALLY start improving my AR in the optics department. I want a quality red dot. Eotech, Aimpoint, Vortex, etc. I'm wondering what your opinions are for which you guys like. I'm looking to accurately shoot out to probably 300 meters max. (I have other artillery for longer ranges :)) Looking to use some sort of 3x magnifier on a flip away mount. Budget is not too much of any issue for the moment. Would like to stay under $800 but I understand quality does cost money. Just wanting sight to last a long time and be able to take a beating.

All opinions are welcome. Maybe this thread is all played out previously, but I was too lazy to look. :D

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Personally, I would go with the EO Tech model 552. I carried one for a year in Iraq and know the abuse they can take. You can get the 3 or 5 power magnifier behind one, and they still run awesome. Aimpoint would be my next choice. Offhand I cannot remember the model that I have, however it is the one that the military issues (as I am in the Army and trying to keep gear that I train with). Since I got this awhile back ago, I do not remember it. It lasts awhile longer, although from what I have seen, battery life is not quite the years everyone claims it to be. They are not bad, but I like the sight on the EO Tech better. The 65 MOA for getting it on target fast and the 1 MOA for the distant shots, to include on qualification hitting targets 300 meters out. Just my two cents.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been thinking about the same thing. Currently my only red dot AR is setup is bushnell trs-25 and it's a solid inexpensive optic. When I make the next step and get a "bet your life on it" quality optic I've pretty much decided on the aimpointn pro. There's just too many good reviews for it out there for me to not try one.

The eo techs are nice, but from the ones I've held there's just something about them that doesn't quite do it for me. I like the simplicity of the red dot for a rifle, but if I were looking at a shotgun optic I'd probably be looking for the eo tech because you can use the circle to give an idea of pattern spread at distances.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I currently own an EOTech, a Vortex Strikefire, and an Aimpoint Micro. The EOTech and Vortex are on .22's and the Aimpoint Micro is on my SHTF rifle.

If I could have only one red dot it would be an Aimpoint Micro with a 2MOA dot.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been thinking about the same thing. Currently my only red dot AR is setup is bushnell trs-25 and it's a solid inexpensive optic. When I make the next step and get a "bet your life on it" quality optic I've pretty much decided on the aimpointn pro. There's just too many good reviews for it out there for me to not try one.

I've been pretty impressed with the TRS-25. If they would make it with the same mounting footprint as the Micro I think they'd have a serious winner on their hands.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's what Primary Arms did :D
    They can't keep them in stock.

I have one of the Primary Arms on my 22lr training upper but I like the TRS-25 better. I can't really tell you why that is but it just seems a little better quality. Probably my imagination.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If you're dead set on a red dot with magnifier, then the Aimpoint would make more sense (incredible battery life measured in years... turn it on and leave it on) as opposed to an Eotech that requires you to slide the optic aside and turn it on every time.

Still... 800 bucks and 300 yards. You should really consider one of the mid-grade 1-4x scopes with a TRUE 1x setting. The Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x gets excellent points and fits in under your budget.

Red dot? If you've got the cash: Aimpoint. If you don't, Vortex, Bushnell TRS25 and Primary Arms. Try both the small aperture micro Aimpoint (H1/T1) as well as the larger 30mm series (PRO, M3, M4.) The following of the micros are huge but lots of folks like the larger aperture series too. If you like the larger, then the PROs can be found for $360-370 all day long with coupons.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Pick them up and try them out, I like both Aimpoint and Eotech...if weight and battery life is a factor then use something like the Aimpoint micro. If you want to have a more versital red dot, then use an Eotech with magnifier, but weight will be more.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Pick them up and try them out, I like both Aimpoint and Eotech...if weight and battery life is a factor then use something like the Aimpoint micro. If you want to have a more versital red dot, then use an Eotech with magnifier, but weight will be more.

I'm curious what you would find more "versatile" about an EOTech with a magnifier as opposed to an Aimpoint (Micro or otherwise) with a magnifier.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm curious what you would find more "versatile" about an EOTech with a magnifier as opposed to an Aimpoint (Micro or otherwise) with a magnifier.

Having the 65MOA ring is very nice in close quarters, but still having the smaller dot for longer or more "sensitive" shots, then to have the option of the magnifier. Not saying you can't have the magnifier on an Aimpoint, just my experience is that the magnifier is better on the Eotech. Also, I believe field of view is better with an Eotech than Aimpoints (except the micro). So that's were I got more "versatile" from, FOV, magnifier, 65MOA ring. Just my opinion. But don't get me wrong, I actually prefer Aimpoint micros above all.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Would you guys recommend a red dot for 3-gun and shots out to 300 yards max?

And does getting older and having some far sightedness( need reading glasses for up close stuff) have an impact on the decision whether to go red dot or standard scope?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Would you guys recommend a red dot for 3-gun and shots out to 300 yards max?

And does getting older and having some far sightedness( need reading glasses for up close stuff) have an impact on the decision whether to go red dot or standard scope?

Does this include astigmatism?

Top Bottom