Quality left handed AR options or other suggestion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got family who've recently returned to the free state of Indiana and wants to get a quality AR15 in a left handed version. Once upon a time he had a lefty RRA and it was decent for the couple of times he shot it but personally I'd like to see him buy something of better quality.

I dont think he wants a standard AR because of how it ejects in front of his face and I can't really blame him for that.

So.... #1 is there a BCM / Daniel Defense quality level of a lefty AR out there I don't know about?
    #2 if not is there another mag fed semi auto modern freedom rifle in 5.56 that you would recommend? I'm thinking maybe a tabor or something similar to keep the brass out of his face.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I believe you'll be able to find what you're lookin for here. I didnt realize how many models there was to choose from now.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    As a lefty who exclusively shoots standard right hand rifles, I'm curious as to his fear of "shells across the face". I've been shooting right handed AR's for years and have not once had an ejection issue that conflicts with my posture/body position.

Is this a theoretical fear, or is there a history with bad experience?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As a lefty who exclusively shoots standard right hand rifles, I'm curious as to his fear of "shells across the face". I've been shooting right handed AR's for years and have not once had an ejection issue that conflicts with my posture/body position.

I second this query. I do have some lefty ARs and bolt action and my only real preference is the bolt action.

Not that he shouldn’t have what he wants.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

As a lefty I third this, never had a issue with a right handed M16-AR platform.
    And Rock Rivers arnt quality... lol

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    To be clear, I do setup safety selector switch and mag release for left handed operation (Troy parts). This allows me to manipulate these actions with ease, including bolt release, without breaking good rifle posture.

HMMV, just curious as to OP's people's reasons.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne

Same for me. I don't even notice.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    HMMV, just curious as to OP's people's reasons.
    To be completely honest, I've been beating a dead horse with him saying that the best quality produced AR's are all going to be right handed and due to economy of scale, and all the parts out there it just makes sense to buy a right handed model. But what do I know, I'm only a competitive shooter, veteran, and hunter. I'm sure he's got his reasons of knowing better regardless of the fact he probably hasn't shot 1,000 rounds in his whole life. It's a frustration for sure, but he's a great human being and I want him to be well armed so I'll help in any way.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

It's not the shells, but the mouth full of gunpowder residue that I hate.

With poison driven, it's not as bad, but direct impingement...

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    It's not the shells, but the mouth full of gunpowder residue that I hate.

With poison driven, it's not as bad, but direct impingement...

Again, all the rounds over the years I'm not sure I've had a mouthful of residue. As the old saying goes ...

"Maybe you weren't holding your mouth right?"

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I am a lefty and all of my AR's are right handed and I have no trouble but I sure know what a mouth full of brass is.
    I have shot several that smack me in the face with the brass. I was trying to sight in one for a friend and that sucker hit me in the cheek with every shot and bloodied me.

Top Bottom