• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    I built a rifle very similar to what your looking for. I put a 15in Midwest Gen2 SS rail. I have a picture of it in my profile in the photo's. If you click on it you will get a description of the rifle. In the picture its pretty bare bones. I have on it now a Vortex crossfire 2 6-18.. (Woodchuck killer...) I will tell you walking the woods or fields with it reminds me of a A2 at times. It can be a beast. A lot of times if I know I am walking a fence line Ill take the Savage 17 hmr instead. Much Lighter.. But it depends what your going to be doing with your own rifle.. Good luck!
    thats a sweet rifle, i do like the Troy rail systems but dont have the funds for one right now, and im ancious to get it built, still gonna be a while though.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    i am looking at a 15" quad rail, in the description is says it will require the use of a micro gas block?
    does that sound normal?
    Yes you will need a low profile gas block that will fit inside the tube. Different tubes have different inside diameters though, so not all low-pro gas blocks will fit inside all tubes. Your gas tube will be fine no matter which block/tube you choose.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    First of all thanks for all the advise and suggestions, I did listen and decided to go with the UTG Pro Slim and also decided to go with the 13" over the 15"
    I have no experience or opinion with that particular handguard, but I think you will be much happier with that style. Just remember that handguard you are looking at uses its own special barrel nut (which creates its own set of circumstances). Are you going to get a complete upper or build your own? You aren't going to save much money by building your own, but you will gain experience and knowledge.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    thats a sweet rifle, i do like the Troy rail systems but dont have the funds for one right now, and im ancious to get it built, still gonna be a while though.

Thanks.. It took me two years of saving and scrimping to get what I wanted. But its like a lego, I see something else and go.. hmmmm. Then it begins again. Glad you found something you wanted but you ll never settle you will get the first under your belt and start thinking about the next one or what you could do different. :)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks.. It took me two years of saving and scrimping to get what I wanted. But its like a lego, I see something else and go.. hmmmm. Then it begins again. Glad you found something you wanted but you ll never settle you will get the first under your belt and start thinking about the next one or what you could do different. :)
    He's already thinking about the next one :rofl:

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    I have no experience or opinion with that particular handguard, but I think you will be much happier with that style. Just remember that handguard you are looking at uses its own special barrel nut (which creates its own set of circumstances). Are you going to get a complete upper or build your own? You aren't going to save much money by building your own, but you will gain experience and knowledge.
    i am building my own, i have a Spikes stripped upper and lower, i ordered a lower parts kit and stock kit from PSA. and got the UTG from ebay, just need a BCG and barrel and sights and i think ill be ready to start the build

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    What length barrel are you going with? I am wondering if a rail height gas block will mount in front of the 13" utg with a rifle barrel.

If I'm not mistaken, and this is just from memory, the gas block with be partially covered with a rifle gas system and 13" handguard.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    What length barrel are you going with? I am wondering if a rail height gas block will mount in front of the 13" utg with a rifle barrel.

If I'm not mistaken, and this is just from memory, the gas block with be partially covered with a rifle gas system and 13" handguard.
    He's wanting a 16" barrel so a mid-length gas system is the longest he's going to get. A 13" handguard will completely cover a mid-length gas block.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    For anybody following this thread, I have completed my lower and have also got a BCG, I went with a Radical Firearms BCG in Melonite from Primary Arms, just need a charging handle and gas block and tube and a barrel and a flash hider and sights and I should be complete, I also got 3 Troy Battle Mags from Primary Arms for 6.99 a piece, been thinking about the Radical Arms 16" Socom barrel and the Troy Diamondhead sites, anybody have any experience on those items?

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    Ok, so I got the rest of my parts in and made the mistake of not purchasing the tools needed to build my rifle, the only thing I'm really missing is a vise block for the upper, I've already assembled the lower just need to assemble the lower and need a vise block to install the barrel and muzzle brake, I dir assemble it all the way but just hand tightened everyteverythingther day because I was dying to see it all together, I've called every gun shop around town today I could think of looking for a vise block kit so I can finish the build this weekend but nobody has them, was hoping there may be a build party going on in the Indy or susurrounding area but didn't find any threads for one, if anybody in the area has one or knows where I may be able to pick one up at so I can finish it this weekend that would be very much appreciated,
    here are a couple pics I took the other day

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Looks good. If you were in the Columbus, IN area, I'd say swing by, and you could borrow my vise blocks.

Look them up on Amazon.com. I think I got my upper/lower block set for like $30 or something. I got the no-mar set, but I've heard good things about the ones squirreldaddy sells as well.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    Looks good. If you were in the Columbus, IN area, I'd say swing by, and you could borrow my vise blocks.

Look them up on Amazon.com. I think I got my upper/lower block set for like $30 or something. I got the no-mar set, but I've heard good things about the ones squirreldaddy sells as well.

i appreciate the offer, but trying not to travel quite that far

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    Great choice. That's what I use. Did you get it from Primary Arms?
    no, i ended up getting it on ebay, i ordered the rest of my components for my Upper from Primary Arms though, except the upper receiver
    i actually got my stripped upper and Lower from US Defense Solutions on the southside of Indy, and my lower parts kit from Palmetto State, and then went to Bradis and picked up a Magpul grip with the rubber coating.

Top Bottom