• ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Purple text is internet sarcasm. It was implemented to prevent those with no concept of context to be able to understand people with superior wit.

It is not needed. MOST people with rudimentary conversational skills will pick up the tone of your words without a Skittles palette.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Granted though, sometimes it is harder to catch onto sarcasmic wit on the internet since their is no inflection or intonation inherent to plain text.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    From the INGO FAQ:

Why is someone writing text in purple?
    INGO member Paco Bedejo gets the blame for this one. He began highlighting his text in purple to indicate sarcasm (a difficult concept to convey in text-only), and it stuck. We moderators think this trend is totally useless and worthless. ;)

While it was originally supposed to imply sarcasm, it's rarely used for that purpose. Instead, people tend to use as a shield to hide behind obnoxious or insulting behavior, believing that it protects them from repercussions.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'll concede a point to NYFelon, it does make it easier for new members to catch on to different posting styles.

Scutter01 is correct on the abuse.

Perry really underscores the real reason I don't purple; I'm too lazy! Very nice!

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Purple is for weenies............

Sarcasm_for_dummies.jpg

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The nice thing about writing in purple is you can say anything you want and it's ok because you are just kidding and being sarcastic. In theory people aren't supposed to get mad about anything you write in purple. Just don't say the same thing in plain text or a hot head might get you!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The nice thing about writing in purple is you can say anything you want and it's ok because you are just kidding and being sarcastic.

This is so false that I don't even know where to start with it. Unfortunately, lots of people on INGO believe this to be true.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This is so false that I don't even know where to start with it. Unfortunately, lots of people on INGO believe this to be true.

Exactly.
    It's kind of the difference between saying something sarcastically, and outright being a douche to somebody.
    "Purple" shouldn't be cart blanche for being a jerk.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The nice thing about writing in purple is you can say anything you want and it's ok because you are just kidding and being sarcastic. In theory people aren't supposed to get mad about anything you write in purple. Just don't say the same thing in plain text or a hot head might get you!

Exactly.
    It's kind of the difference between saying something sarcastically, and outright being a douche to somebody.
    "Purple" shouldn't be cart blanche for being a jerk.

Sounds like gungurl65 should have used purple!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Purple text is internet sarcasm. It was implemented to prevent those with no concept of context to be able to understand people with superior wit.

It is not needed. MOST people with rudimentary conversational skills will pick up the tone of your words without a Skittles palette.

Was that last part sarcasm or um, nevermind!!

If you say something that is obviously sarcastic sarcasm does that cancel it out?

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Its an INGO thing, and I have no idea who started it. Some folks are just a little slow on the uptake, and the purple text helps!

Just to clear things up a bit, Paco Bedejo started the purple as the way of denoting sarcasm. Boy it's nice to be married to someone who has the memory of an elephant! :):

7th Stepper

Top Bottom