• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ballzac86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Southside
    I'll be living in florida for about 3 months or so, and I'd like to pick up a few things while I'm down there. I've done some looking around, and haven't seen anything that says I wouldn't be able to, as long as Indiana law doesn't prohibit it. I called an FFL dealer down there a few min ago, and he said he didn't think it would be a problem, but would have to make sure he wouldn't get in trouble for violating any laws. I know Florida and Indiana honor each others CCW/LTCH permits, but I was hoping there wasn't anything that will prevent me from purchasing any rifles down there. -Grant

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If you're an IN resident, you can't purchase at a FL FFL. There is an exception for long-guns from FFLs, but only to our bordering states.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Is that an Indiana law, or one that everyone thinks is a federal law, kind of like the "no guns in commercial vehicle, "law?""

Quote found on another site. I do not take responsibility for the interpretation, but it does cite 18 USC which is the governing federal law.

The OP is apparently a FL resident living temporarily in TN.

18 USC 922 - Federal Law States:

Quote:
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
    manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
    deliver--
    (3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has
    reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is
    a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of
    business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is
    located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale
    or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other
    than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if
    the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the
    transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the
    legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed
    manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of
    this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to
    have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances
    of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a
    firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
    purposes;
    Notice the bolded and underlined part. Florida (and TN, in this case) law sets forth the legal conditions of the sale:

Quote:
    790.28 Purchase of rifles and shotguns in contiguous states.--A resident of this state may purchase a rifle or shotgun in any state contiguous to this state if he or she conforms to applicable laws and regulations of the United States, of the state where the purchase is made, and of this state.
    It is a Federal felony for an FFL in a state not contiguous with FL to sell a long gun to a Florida resident and for the Florida resident to then bring that long gun into the state of Florida. The exception mentioned below in (b)(3) does not apply because the sale did not conform to FL law as required by (b)(3):

Quote:
    Sec. 922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful--
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed
    manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport
    into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a
    corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a
    place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by
    such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall
    not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest
    or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence
    from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if
    it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in
    that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of
    a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this
    section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any
    firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this
    chapter;

Boldface, above, added by the poster I quoted. Additionally, the above quote in 790.28 appears to be FL law. I think I recall similar in IN law and I'll look for it, but do not have the cite at this writing.

ETA: Found it.
    IC 35-47-5-6
    Purchasing or obtaining a rifle or shotgun
    Sec. 6. (a) Any resident of Indiana:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by law from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois.
    (b) Any resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and (2) who is not prohibited by the laws of Indiana, his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or a shotgun in Indiana.
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 0.922(B)(3)).

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
    B

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    What do you mean you're living in Florida. Do you maintain a residence in FL and in IN? If so, your are a resident of each state for the time you actually reside there (e.g. maintain a winter home) and are free to make purchases. What's your situation?

Also, see here

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    If you're an IN resident, you can't purchase at a FL FFL. There is an exception for long-guns from FFLs, but only to our bordering states.

The "contiguous state" language was deleted from Federal Law in 1986 with the passage of the Gun Owners Protection Act...The old law required enabling legislation in contiguous states for it to be legal. The language that is left in Indiana law is obsolete, it only says it is legal to purchase in a contiguous state, it DOES NOT say it is ILLEGAL to purchase in other non-contiguous states. note some states enabling legislation did ban non-contiguous state sales, the new Federal Law does NOT over-rule this.... you may purchase a long gun from an FFL in another state as long as both states laws are obeyed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The "contiguous state" language was deleted from Federal Law in 1986 with the passage of the Gun Owners Protection Act...The old law required enabling legislation in contiguous states for it to be legal. The language that is left in Indiana law is obsolete, it only says it is legal to purchase in a contiguous state, it DOES NOT say it is ILLEGAL to purchase in other non-contiguous states. note some states enabling legislation did ban non-contiguous state sales, the new Federal Law does NOT over-rule this.... you may purchase a long gun from an FFL in another state as long as both states laws are obeyed.

However, because of that provision in IN law, ATF has ruled that Hoosiers may ONLY purchase long guns in IL, IN, OH, KY, or MI. I think I saw that here also, not on their (ATFs) site.

Blessings,
    B

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    However, because of that provision in IN law, ATF has ruled that Hoosiers may ONLY purchase long guns in IL, IN, OH, KY, or MI. I think I saw that here also, not on their (ATF's) site.

Blessings,
    B

This is incorrect... There is no letter to Indiana FFL dealers on the BATFE web site for this "ruling"... see...

ATF Rulings

Open Letters - Federal Firearms Licensee

Indiana law is pretty straight forward on it... it says that it is legal to purchase a long-gun from a contiguous state... which WAS required of the old Federal Law.... it DOES NOT say it is illegal to purchase a long-gun from a non-contiguous state... if something is not specifically illegal under the law, it is by definition legal... that being said not all FFL's know this and some go by the old law...

ballzac86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Southside
    I ended up getting what I needed up there before I left, but I'll update this if I attempt to buy another lower or another rifle while I'm down here in Orlando.

Top Bottom