Purchasing my first HandGun(College student; Permanent Address Issue)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryanb58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have just purchased a handgun and am having it shipped to a local dealer here in Indianapolis. Because I do not yet possess a CCP, I am having to go through the documentation of the background check. My question about this process is mainly about the "Current Residence Address".

Let me set the scene. I am a Senior attending IUPUI, I live up here in Indianapolis during the semesters and then go back home(to Evansville) for the summers. I just received a full-time job here in Indy and have gratefully accepted it. During my time in college I have left my permanent address as my parents(down in Evansville). I am now faced with having to change my permanent address to my lease here in Indianapolis so that when I fill out the Background check form I am not filling out a lie.

Is there any other students in such situations? If so what did you do? Is the best way to solve this issue stated above(just change my permanent address..)? Also any tips on how to get in and out of the BMV fast? When I turned 21 and went to get my sideways license and it took over an hour.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I'm no lawyer but if your drivers license says your parents house than that is your percent address. You might be living at school right now but it's not considered your legal residence. You should use that address when filling out you 4473.

Also in Indiana your LTCH. Makes no difference on the purchase of a firearm. They will still run a background check.

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've lived at several different address while attending IUPUI and I have never changed my permanent address. I always kept it as my parents address and I never had any issues.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Like the others said, your drives license would show your address to use. My daughter was off at college like you, but when she went to buy a firearm, he home address, my home was on her license. Both Indiana and the federal government in tax filings hold her permanent address to be mine, her parent, and that is what is on her license.

So if your drivers license shows your parent's address, that is your legal address which is what you should use on the 4473.

And paper or not, you still have to fill out a 4473 (background check) in Indiana.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If the address on your driver's license doesn't match the address on your 4473 you will more than likely be denied.
    This is true. You need to have your current address on the 4473. If your permanent address is your parents in Evansville then that's what you put.

Ryanb58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the fast feedback everyone.

It appears that the person I am using to do the background check and transfer is pretty solid on me getting my permanent address changed before I complete the 4473. This is in part to the fact that I have been leasing a room here in Indianapolis for the past two years, and he knows that. Any tips?

I went to the BMV today in order to get my address changed, however because everything is in my "legal" parents address, I can not do so until I can provide a secondary document besides my lease that shows my name and address on it(An amazon packages apparently doesn't count, not even 2 years of bookstore receipts.).

Therefore, I suppose I'll have to wait until I can change my permanent address before I can pick up my handgun. :/ Unless anyone has legal documentation showing that I can use my parents address as my own.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Unless anyone has legal documentation showing that I can use my parents address as my own.

I think you're approaching this from the wrong perspective. It's not your parent's address, it's your permanent address. I don't think there is a time limit on when a temporary address becomes your permanent address, as long as you can still get mail at your permanent address. If your ffl doesn't like that, I don't know what you could do other than find another ffl (there are a few around)

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have just purchased a handgun and am having it shipped to a local dealer here in Indianapolis. Because I do not yet possess a CCP, I am having to go through the documentation of the background check. My question about this process is mainly about the "Current Residence Address".

Let me set the scene. I am a Senior attending IUPUI, I live up here in Indianapolis during the semesters and then go back home(to Evansville) for the summers. I just received a full-time job here in Indy and have gratefully accepted it. During my time in college I have left my permanent address as my parents(down in Evansville). I am now faced with having to change my permanent address to my lease here in Indianapolis so that when I fill out the Background check form I am not filling out a lie.

Is there any other students in such situations? If so what did you do? Is the best way to solve this issue stated above(just change my permanent address..)? Also any tips on how to get in and out of the BMV fast? When I turned 21 and went to get my sideways license and it took over an hour.

Thanks in advance! :)

I would like to ask, what is a "sideways" license ?

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I would like to ask, what is a "sideways" license ?

The young kids these days have a "vertical" license. Picture on top with info underneath. As opposed to "big people" license with your photo to the left of your information. I believe it was done to easier identify under age individuals.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

What does a "ccp" as you are calling it have in any way to do with a background check? If you are purchasing from an FFL, a background is required regardless of being licensed. If purchasing from an individual, then there is no requirement for any background check.

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As someone whose living situation has been almost the same as your for several years, I can confirm what everyone else is telling you first hand. As long as you can receive mail at your "parent's address" and have not filed a change of address with any agencies (BMV, etc), then that is your permanent address. I lived downtown for most of the year for school but my permanent address was still my parent's house. During that time I applied for my LTCH and was approved and have purchased several firearms from FFLs with no issues using my legal permanent address on the 4473. Your options are basically either find a different FFL who's not going to decide what he thinks your permanent address is for you, or go through all the change of address stuff, including a new drivers license. I would recommend the former, especially in the absence of any reason why you must use this particular FFL. Wait to change your address until you know you're going to be staying there for a few years.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As someone whose living situation has been almost the same as your for several years, I can confirm what everyone else is telling you first hand. As long as you can receive mail at your "parent's address" and have not filed a change of address with any agencies (BMV, etc), then that is your permanent address. I lived downtown for most of the year for school but my permanent address was still my parent's house. During that time I applied for my LTCH and was approved and have purchased several firearms from FFLs with no issues using my legal permanent address on the 4473. Your options are basically either find a different FFL who's not going to decide what he thinks your permanent address is for you, or go through all the change of address stuff, including a new drivers license. I would recommend the former, especially in the absence of any reason why you must use this particular FFL. Wait to change your address until you know you're going to be staying there for a few years.

This is what I tried to tell you earlier, exactly what Ninja said except from the parent's point of view.

Per the federal government who collected and collects taxes from my daughter. While she was a student, her permanent address was her the home she lived at from birth, mine. After 4 years of living away at undergrad school, she then spent 5 years in Chitcago as a graduate student but again because of her student status, her home address, the one on her driver's license was still listed as mine. IRS considered her permanent address as mine since school is a temporary thing.

As Ninja said, if the dealer differs with the feds, you need to find a dealer that knows what the laws really are for students who maintain their parents home as their permanent address. You are perfectly legal as a student to maintain your parents home as your permanent address.

That is unless after you graduate you go to work for the university maintaining your university address, but I doubt you are headed in that direction based on what you have said.

Top Bottom