PSA, BCM, DD, ETC... My First AR-15 Build.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Ok, so I just finished my first ever AR-15 build. And let me tell you it really feels awesome to have put this thing together myself. I'm so glad that I chose to build rather than buy a factory rifle, especially for my first AR-15. I feel as if I know more about the rifle having had the opportunity to see and touch it while it was still a pile of springs and pins. Also, for anyone reading this who thinks they could never build one, you are wrong. I'm pretty sure most 10 year olds could fully assemble an AR, given the right tools. It's super easy. Anyway, here's a parts list and a picture for all you pic hounds:

•BCM Standard 16" M4 Carbine Upper Receiver Group ($399)
    •BCM Bolt Carrier Group ($139)
    •BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle (Medium)($44)
    •Daniel Defense EZ CAR 7.0 Quad Rail ($148)
    •Palmetto State Armory Stripped Lower Receiver ($49)
    •Palmetto State Armory Gen 2 Lower Parts Kit ($44)
    •Palmetto State Armory Mil-spec Buffer Tube Assembly ($39)
    •Troy Industries Folding Rear Battlesight ($79)
    •Magpul MOE Stock ($57)
    •Magpul BAD Lever ($29)
    •Magpul AFG2 ($34)
    •Magpul MOE Pistol Grip ($19)
    •Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard ($9)

Grand total: $1089.00

002.jpg

Please pay no mind to my filthy counter top! :laugh: Anyway guys and gals, let me know what you think about my first build. I'm really excited about it. I will post range pics as soon as I can. I'm waiting on 1000 rounds of XM193 from PSA right now, so it shouldn't be too long before I can get my new toy out shooting. I'm also waiting on rail covers and a few other small pieces, and I'm also trying to decide on an optic (Strikefire or EOTech?!). I will post pics of any changes or extras that I add along the way, but for now, I'm out!

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Looks great!!:rockwoot: I'm curious why you chose the BCM upper over a PSA?

Thanks! I chose BCM for my upper based on reputation and tried and true testimony. I have yet to read a bad post on a BCM upper across 3 or 4 different message boards and forums. When I do my first true budget build, I will more than likely try out a PSA upper. Pretty hard to beat their prices, especially for what you get.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    That is a great looking carbine buddy. It feels so much better putting it all together yourself VS buying.

EOtech is the easy choice there. They had some problems in the past with their battery terminals. They have been completely redesigned and seem to be much better now. Like many, I used an EOtech in combat my first tour. I beat the hell out of it and it kept kicking like a champ.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    That is a great looking carbine buddy. It feels so much better putting it all together yourself VS buying.

EOtech is the easy choice there. They had some problems in the past with their battery terminals. They have been completely redesigned and seem to be much better now. Like many, I used an EOtech in combat my first tour. I beat the hell out of it and it kept kicking like a champ.

Thanks man! I'm leaning towards the EOTech at this point in time. Just gotta figure out where to come up with $400! I'll probably wait till tax time to pull the trigger on that purchase. I'll have fun with irons for now. BTW, thanks for your service to our country, brother.:patriot:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Awesome looking rifle. That OD looks sweet. Now go get some trigger time and give a range report.

Socomike, what kind of battery life have you experienced with the Eotech?

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Thanks! I appreciate it.

The EOtech I was issued (cant remember the model) back in 2004 had decent battery life. It took AA's. The battery life was not that of an aimpoint, but I like the retical way better on the EOtech.

My personal 512 that I bought in the 2006 time frame was AWFUL when it came to battery life. It would drain the battery in a month sitting in the safe and not using it at all. EOtech offered to ship it back to them on their dime and fix or replace it. I sold it at a loss and bought an Aimpoint. I used it for some time and loved every minute of it.

I spent a significant amount of time shooting a MK18 Block II gun with the EOtech 553. It sold me again on EOtech and I bought one for my personal gun. So far, I have had it for a little over a month and the batteries are going strong. It is a new revised model and has the battery terminal fixes installed.

In any event, L3/EOtech has been very accommodating when it comes to fixing an issue with their optics. I would buy with confidence.

Mike

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Just got my PSA parts kit in. As soon as my fat fingers get it together I'll get some pics up, then I'll run as much ammo as I can afford, as quickly thru it as possible.

Top Bottom