• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have dedicated carry guns that are all around the same price. If I have to use one to save mine or someone else's life and lose it for a while, so be it. I'll just get another one out and carry it. All my carry guns are set up the same. A good 1911 doesn't have to cost 2-4K.

texas123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frankfort
    Wouldn't it be best to carry what you are the most familiar and have the highest level of proficiency with . It may have alot of wear and have some dings and dents but if you shoot it well and it is safe........that's the one I would carry.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    So I was wondering the pros and cons of carrying an expensive firearm vrs a average price carry firearm for self defense. I have a farly good idea but I am sure someone will have even better advice for me. Average as in 1500 to 2000 and expensive as in 4000 and up.
    When you say "carry", I interpret that as my every-day-carry handgun. To me, that means every day, every where...at the house, at the store, commuting, mowing the lawn, jogging, biking, fabricating a deck, working on a vehicle, at events, travelling...EVERYWHERE I can legally carry.

It's also imperative that you can use your every-day-carry gun proficiently...arguably better than any other firearm in your arsenal. To achieve this, I own multiple copies of my every-day-carry handgun. One is for carry only, one is for training/gun classes, and one is a spare (in case one of my others breaks or is withheld from me for some reason).

The points I'm trying to make are that...
    • Your edc will see LOTS of wear, use, dust, dirt, and sweat. Some handguns lend themselves better to this kind of treatment than others.
    • Due to the varied nature of carry techniques I encounter, it helps to buy one of the more "popular" handguns, as accessories are cheaper and more readily available (e.g. holsters, lights, magazines, sights, etc.). For example, I carry a Glock 19 and have at least 9 holsters in various configurations. I can pick up a different Glock 19 holster or magazine any day of the week.
    • You will be well served if you can afford 3-4 copies of your edc.
    Perhaps that will help you make your decision.

Last edited:

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    All price points aside, if you haven’t firmly decided your edc at this point, consider this. Everyone will be scrutinizing your choice of firearm, caliber, firearm modifications and more in the event you’re forced to use that weapon. You need to be able to articulate,repeatedly and assuredly, why you carry and used that firearm. Price shouldn’t be part of that argument.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    When you say "carry", I interpret that as my every-day-carry handgun. To me, that means every day, every where...at the house, at the store, commuting, mowing the lawn, jogging, biking, fabricating a deck, working on a vehicle, at events, travelling...EVERYWHERE I can legally carry.

It's also imperative that you can use your every-day-carry gun proficiently...arguably better than any other firearm in your arsenal. To achieve this, I own multiple copies of my every-day-carry handgun. One is for carry only, one is for training/gun classes, and one is a spare (in case one of my others breaks or is withheld from me for some reason).

The points I'm trying to make are that...
    • Your edc will see LOTS of wear, use, dust, dirt, and sweat. Some handguns lend themselves better to this kind of treatment than others.
    • Due to the varied nature of carry techniques I encounter, it helps to buy one of the more "popular" handguns, as accessories are cheaper and more readily available (e.g. holsters, lights, magazines, sights, etc.). For example, I carry a Glock 19 and have at least 9 holsters in various configurations. I can pick up a different Glock 19 holster or magazine any day of the week.
    • You will be well served if you can afford 3-4 copies of your edc.
    Perhaps that will help you make your decision.
    ^^^ THIS!!! ^^^

Pick the gun you want to fight with. Have multiples.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Carry what you want. Just don't let any 5yr. old girls take it from you. (old school reference)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nothing wrong with carrying a high dollar gun. Just be sure you have two of them.

Use one in self defense and there is a very high likelihood it ain't going home with you.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The odds are very high you will never need to use your carry firearm in self defense and I pray I am never in that spot.

However if I am ever in that situation the cost of the firearm would be the very last concern I would have, the only reason to carry is to protect my family members, other innocent people or myself.

I can't bring myself to put a price on that. If the firearm is confiscated and I am alive I will be quite happy to work with my attorney to get it returned, if I lose it it has already done the one thing I require of the firearm!

I want the most dependable, reliable and accurate firearm in my holster - cost be dammed!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    An angle often not looked at is your backup EDC pistol. There are numerous ways that the pistol you left the house with may not return home with you.

As mentioned above, actually using your pistol for self defense will likely have the weapon confiscated for the length of the investigation.

Theft or robbery of your EDC is also a possibility. No matter how well versed or trained you are, there are circumstances where you are just outdone. Thinking that you will be able to shoot your way out of every situation is unrealistic.

Other situations can leave you out of control of your firearm also. Vehicle accidents, health episodes and other things beyond control or forethought can have EMT's and LEO's taking control of your carry gun, because they have to.

How or when you get your firearm returned from LEO's and their convoluted property rooms is certainly a matter of contention that could take months or years to resolve.

Even for a simple fender bender that resulted in ambulance ride, someone has to deal with your sidearm. They cannot just leave it in the vehicle.

Losing your gun is one issue, whether it be an expensive one or not. The other issue is how you defend yourself, when you all the sudden no longer have it?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    "Expensive" is relative to the financial resources of the individual, and how much it will eat at them to LAWFULLY use their expensive firearm, only to have the "good guys" swipe it, and refuse to promptly return it when they've been cleared.

And then have it drag out for years or never before it's returned.
    It's kind of like defending oneself against one criminal, only to be the victim of another.

PERSONALLY, I typically only carry firearms for self defense that are reliable, adequate for the task, and of relatively modest enough cost.
    That way, if I'm LAWFULLY forced to use it for self defense, and our government abuses it's power by refusing to PROMPTLY return it to me when I'm cleared, and in essence STEALS my property, the pain of the knife in the back will be lessened. YMMV

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I carry Glocks. I have one Glock .380 for when there`s just no other way to conceal, but I much prefer to carry my Glock 21, or Glock 30, both .45 caliber. Glocks are far from "expensive", especially as compared to Kimber's, Sigs, etc. But read the Chuck Taylor Glock torture test. Glock is as reliable as anything, and much more reliable than most.
    just have to rub it in...lmao

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have put a lot of miles on both a Wilson and a NightHawk. I don’t hesitate to carry either one. The commander sized gun is easier to tote around so the full size usually sits in the safe.

Truth be told a Walther PPS M1 is what usually follows me a round. It is just a matter of convenience not cost. The gun has been with me a long time.
    I'm still carrying that HiPower I got from you!

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Other situations can leave you out of control of your firearm also. Vehicle accidents, health episodes and other things beyond control or forethought can have EMT's and LEO's taking control of your carry gun, because they have to.

How or when you get your firearm returned from LEO's and their convoluted property rooms is certainly a matter of contention that could take months or years to resolve.

Even for a simple fender bender that resulted in ambulance ride, someone has to deal with your sidearm. They cannot just leave it in the vehicle.
    This. While we all hope to never have to use it in a life or death situation, car accidents or any sort of accident that lands you in an ambulance are much more common occurrences.

Top Bottom